Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think so.

We have threads locked about the same rate as many other forums.

Spirited debate yes, relentless pressure for the person talking to make a coherent or logical statement but not abusive.

And these are hot topics we talk about.

But what do you think, you stupid gits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people here are rude some of the time.

I can't think of anything I've seen here that rises to the level of abusive, but that's a pretty high bar for a discussion forum.

Overall I think RSP is above average for a discussion group that covers emotional topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yes. Definitely.

+2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what happens when you have someone who wields a banhammer instead of a true moderator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
People do get abusive here from time to time. Snark turns to derision turns to personal attacks. If I've been abusive to a poster I'm sorry you READ it that way. I can only think of a couple times where one of my posts was coupled with a noticeable increase in blood pressure. Hence the problem of forums; when is it sarcasm? When is it good ole snark? When is it abuse? Emails/posts are ripe for over interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are often more candid in our opinions on other's opinions. This is considered rude by many.

Most of the abuse here seems very similar (and intended in the same spirit) as high school locker room and college bar banter. Or maybe I am just confident in myself and have a thick skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP is where curmudgeons go to die. I've seen active BGG members start hitting RSP, then they stop posting in general areas(you know those areas that talk about, I dunno, Games), then they stop posting in RSP, then they stop coming to BGG altogether. Yes, this is a pit of vipers, and nothing constructive ever comes of it, besides hiding away the vipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
F88k off you tit, of course it isn't.

( )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yest we have two threads (mine and this one) dsicussing this topic now. Clealry we don not want to be viewed like pit of vipers or we do not think we are vipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a viper. Would you like to see my fangs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
quozl wrote:

Do they retract?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
quozl wrote:

Do they retract?

Only after a lot of prodding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
I do not think so.

We have threads locked about the same rate as many other forums.

Behavoir is tolerated here which isn't tolerated elsewhere on BGG. There is a reason alot of threads get redirected here yet very few threads in RSP (if any) ever get redirected elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
quozl wrote:
That's what happens when you have someone who wields a banhammer instead of a true moderator.

Admit it, you love being banhammered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:

Admit it, you love being banhammered!

Ewww. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

I always wonderd why a moderator with a banhammer allows himself to post within the forums that he is to moderate (other than to post warning regarding forum guidelines)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

I always wonderd why a moderator with a banhammer allows himself to post within the forums that he is to moderate (other than to post warning regarding forum guidelines)

Because this is an organic community, instead of a corporate forum where the only reason moderators even visit is that it's their job.

Besides, it's not like Matt makes all that many personal posts around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Yest we have two threads (mine and this one) dsicussing this topic now. Clearly we don not want to be viewed like pit of vipers or we do not think we are vipers.

Well, one thing I've seen here and other places is that many people can't hold their beliefs up for examination and for others to say their beliefs are false.

If nothing else, they want the 6th grade "everyone wins a trophy" and every one's beliefs are okay.

By expressing solid opinions and doing research to back up my beliefs, I've found some which were unsupportable (but still feel they are correct) and others which are unsupportable and came to feel they were incorrect.

I have seen posts here by people who say "my belief is correct and saying you think it is incorrect is rude!" To those people, I say don't come here if you are not prepared to back up your position.

And I think that that is confrontational- not abusive.

RSP is a place where delicate subjects are discussed and people express their opinions openly. Expressed openly, those beliefs are subject to examination and in some cases mockery.

The mockery is bad. But damn it is hard to resist in some cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Because this is an organic community, instead of a corporate forum where the only reason moderators even visit is that it's their job.

Besides, it's not like Matt makes all that many personal posts around here.

A true moderator would be making more posts. That's how moderation is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Well, one thing I've seen here and other places is that many people can't hold their beliefs up for examination and for others to say their beliefs are false.

If nothing else, they want the 6th grade "everyone wins a trophy" and every one's beliefs are okay.

By expressing solid opinions and doing research to back up my beliefs, I've found some which were unsupportable (but still feel they are correct) and others which are unsupportable and came to feel they were incorrect.

I have seen posts here by people who say "my belief is correct and saying you think it is incorrect is rude!" To those people, I say don't come here if you are not prepared to back up your position.

And I think that that is confrontational- not abusive.

RSP is a place where delicate subjects are discussed and people express their opinions openly. Expressed openly, those beliefs are subject to examination and in some cases mockery.

The mockery is bad. But damn it is hard to resist in some cases.

Or, if you prefer:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
A true moderator would be making more posts. That's how moderation is done.

On an internet message board? Not very often. He's not here to sit between opposing sides, he's here to make sure the site rules are followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
It isn't as though as he is moderating a debate, there are rules and he is there to enforce them. If RSP were a "moderated" forum it would be a lot less interesting.

Right, he's an administrator, not a moderator.

I strongly disagree about moderating making the forum less interesting though. I think it would be much more interesting as people wouldn't be marginalized so much and we would hear much more diversity of opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Are we that self-conscious that we need two navel-gazing threads in the same day? Buck up Nancy.

Good news, I just found my car keys and my belly stopped hurting. ROCK ON!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could multi-thumb that Chris.

I was always a sucker for Cap. I think they did a good job with the character over the years.

In some ways, he is the "superman" of the marvel universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I can't think of anything I've seen here that rises to the level of abusive, but that's a pretty high bar for a discussion forum.

Maybe because you haven't been the target of the abuse. Hell, I get called names and insulted on threads I don't even participate in.

Then change your icon! All I can think when I see it is punching things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.