Subject: Has anyone created a comprehensive rulebook to this game yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a couple starters for this game a couple years ago, but I never got around to playing it. Now, I'm looking for something new to play and came across the starters, but I find the rulebook to be completely lackluster in explaining just about anything in this game!

The very first question that wasn't at all covered in the rulebook was fortunately already asked here: how stamina even got into play! That part is somewhat clear now. If you play a character you don't already have in play, it starts a new stamina pile. Then every character card of the same character is stacked on top.

The next question was combat damage. Do you track the damage on a character or do you compare the healthy defense value to each attack? I had to hunt down the official website (they changed the name of the game to Duel System TCG), and it appears that you don't track damage.

The game seemed to be pretty basic after that, but as I was reading over card translations, I discovered something else I couldn't find any rule for: Leina card 003: Eye for an Eye. The text says "When played, your opponent's turn ends immediately. Discard 1 card from your hand." This card implies that you're playing it on your opponent's turn. How are you playing a card on your opponent's turn? I can't find an answer to this anywhere. The closest answer I could find was a FAQ entry that said if a card is revealed in your Life pile, then its effect will activate as if it were "played". If that's the only situation where this card can be used, why doesn't the text just say "When becoming the active life card" like other cards of that kind. (And while typing this I just realized the rules don't even specify what order the life cards go in.)

I really want to like this game since I've been a fan of Queen's Blade for years. I was going to try Chaos TCG since that also uses Queen's Blade and the rules are very plainly laid out and easy to understand, but the cards for that game are extremely hard to find while the cards for this one are readily available. These rules are really frustrating me though, and I'm hoping someone will put together a comprehensive rulebook that clearly explains how the game is played. An example of gameplay would be extremely helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well the rule book on my site is probably as comprehensive as it'll ever get as the more card specific rules you'll rarely run into unless you play the game regularly.

You are correct about the damage, it is a one time hit then everything is wiped out.

Leina #003 has the text worded that was as the effect can activate if the card appears as a life card or as her active stamina. So you can end your opponents turn if they damage your life or your character. Also there are starting to be cards that allow you to play stamina during your opponents turn, only 1 or 2 right now but I'm sure we'll see more of those in future releases.

The life cards are basically counting down to your death so #5 would be on top and #1 on the bottom.

I would make a game play example some time as it sounds like there are quite a few people out there that would like to see how everything works better. Not sure where I'll find the time between all the other translations I have going for the game at the moment. If anyone knows an easy program I could do that with let me know, for now I'll just have to stick with answering questions.

Ah I did play my first game with english cards the other day.
http://chad19.webs.com/IMGA0127.JPG
http://chad19.webs.com/IMGA0128.JPG
I had a couple stacks of series 1 cards printed, they aren't as thick as the originals and I don't have the original images to make the bleeds on the borders look right, but still fun to actually play without looking at a translation sheet.

Edit: Hmmm pretty bad pictures....gotta find a better camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the reason Leina #003 is confusing is as I mentioned, why doesn't the card just say "When becoming the active life card, ..." Then it will still activate whether it becomes the active life or stamina card based on the FAQ:

Q26. For cards that read "When becoming the active life card" can the effect only be used when it is a life card?

A26. No, the effect will activate on characters when they receive damage and this card becomes their active stamina card.

So why is it worded to trigger from being played if it can't ever trigger from being played?

I've also come across a lot of ambiguities in your translations that are causing some more confusion. The word "active" for example is used to both refer to a card moving to the top of the stack and also for when a card is turned sideways. Sometimes it's hard to know which one is meant.

For example, a lot of cards say "When becoming active due to damage, ..." I take that to mean when the card is revealed at the top of the stack due to the card on top being destroyed.

However, Alleyne #379 says "... choose an opponent's character that is active ..." in which case active now means "sideways".

I can usually infer the meaning, but sometimes it takes a second look to be sure.

Even more confusing is using "ability" to refer to the symbols in the bottom left and also using "ability" to refer to the card text. Alleyne #585 reduces an ability requirement by 2. I couldn't understand what that meant until I realized you sometimes use the word to refer to the powers in the text box. I'm guessing it's those costs that get reduced by 2.

I want to thank you for all the work you put into translating these cards. I'm sorry if I sound frustrated, but trying to decipher these rules is making my head spin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, your English cards look great! I may end up pasting your translations onto my cards and putting them in sleeves, but it'd be a lot nicer just to print the cards to play. Did you print them yourself or have someone else (like artscow) do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
No worries, I completely understand the frustrations as I went through the same thing figuring this all out and why I have been updating everything to get rid of some of these issues.

I'll need to go back and stare at #003 text again and see if I can give a clearer answer or if you found a card I made a mistake on.

The "active" issue is just about been fixed up through my updating. Now when it reads active it only refers to the card turning sideways. Where you saw "When becoming active due to damage" in cards I've changed to "When becoming the active stamina due to damage" to show its refering to its stack position rather than its orientation.

Yes, the abilities can be a bit confusing, however I think whenever I use the word it should only be talking about abilities in the top right or bottom left of the card. For example if the card produces an extra ability, it would increase the number of symbols in the bottom left, and if it reduced the number of abilities required to play a card, it would reduce the number of symbols in the top right. I'm just using produced/required to differentiate right now but am open to suggestions.

There are so many things in the original text like this that seems to say the exact same thing, like how I refer to cards as active/deactive, the original called them roll/active which sounds like the same thing to me.

I had someone else print them. It sure saves me a lot of time rather than doing them myself. The only issue with someone else doing them is I can't control where they cut the cards so the card image can look like it was cut off near the edge of the card and they only print at 300dpi when I use 600-1200 for the images. That and the fact they have minimum orders so I have 12 stacks of series 1 cards now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok looks like I was already half way through with fixing this issue you see with #003. Originally I had cards that read "when becoming the active life card", but because of that rule you were talking about I thought it would clear up some confusion if I changed the text on the cards to read "When played".

When I do my final card update for all the series next week all cards that talked about becoming a life card will all read "when played" since it doesn't matter where they are.

I have to apologize, as some of the confusion you're having trying to learn the rules is in part because I only partially have all the cards fixed while old translations are up for others. Just a few days more and hopefully there won't be anymore issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. So long as it's a consistent change, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But intuitively people like me who have some TCG experience think of a card being "played" as one leaving your hand and entering the playing field on the table. But since becoming "active stamina" and "active life card" mean the same thing now, it's easier just to have one word to refer to both. And just saying "active" isn't an option since that's reserved for the orientation of the card now.

I guess I don't have a better solution for you without just inventing another word to use in place of "played".

I'll have to make do with whatever you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok so the card text of #003 now reads as:

When becoming the active stamina, your opponents turn ends immediately. Discard 1 card from your hand.

While it still doesn't get rid of the "active" from the text atleast the new text for the cards now has a clear difference from being played and just coming up from the stamina pile. One of these days I'll think of a good word to use in its place, maybe something will come to me while I translate the queen's gate and rebellion cards.

Thanks for the thoughts, it helps having someone else looking for issues as I can skip over things when I'm looking at a few hundred cards at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I just read the original Japanese text on Leina #003, so it makes sense now. Basically it says "On the opponent's turn, when this becomes the top card, the opponent's main phase ends immediately. Then discard 1 card." Maybe say "When this card is uncovered" or "when this card is unveiled"? Revealed? "Active" was a nice word, but it would take far too much work to change "activate" to something like "exhausting" or "fatiguing".

"Active stamina" works... it's just a shame to have to remind new players that it also works as a life card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.