Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
1. You can play online for free

2. Faced with a cost of NZ$60 and a wait of several weeks, I found some nice clipart, made my own pieces and gled the results to some hexes from an old Battle Cry set - lo and behold a totally free, fully servicable (and rather pretty) set.

I can't see why I'd ever actually BUY it - its too easy to make

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fairbrother
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:How can anyone make money selling this?
MarkC_NZ (#474107),

I can't play online in my local pub, so this doesn't apply to everyone. Hive is a great game to play down the pub (you might guess I'm in the UK).

I guess it all depends on your ratio of time to money, how creative you are and whether you want to support the game developers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo 8 (#474904),

Actually ELCHFEST is the best pub game. Chicks dig the little moose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fairbrother
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phlegm (#474922),

Blimey, that sounds funny. But pubs and manual dexterity don't tend to mix well for me... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo 8 (#474930),

That's the beauty of ELCHFEST. You aren't playing to win just to watch the ladies flock to the moose.

Now at WBC there you play to win.

Phlegm
2 time defending ELCHFEST Champion of the WORLD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lyon
United States
canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
MarkC_NZ (#474107),

I can see your point - I gave some thought to doing the same. Indeed, if it was put out by a big, mainstream corporation, I would do exactly that.

However, since its done by a small, independant game company, I just ordered my set. I got it, including shipping and handling, for 25 bucks, which I don't consider horrible.

I've only played it online, where the AI consistantly creams me. Which I've read that the AI is weak..... but not as weak as I, it appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana More
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potbelly (#475554),

I haven't defeated the AI either, but I have made it think (pause) for prolonged periods, so I think (hope) I'm getting close...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fairbrother
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The AI is quite good, I wouldn't worry about getting beaten by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lyon
United States
canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
Apollo 8 (#479353),

Well, now I beat it probably 50-50, so I guess I'll go with quite good. I've had some darn nice games with the AI - ones where I would only like one spot capturing its queen, and its successfully fought me off, and turned it into a win.

I got the actual game 3 days or so ago, but haven't had a chance to play against a human yet. I'm very much looking forward to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
You order the game because is almost the only way to get a wooden Hive. As i have posted elsewhere, there are ways to make a Hive of your own cheaply but the wooden pieces are really nice and if you add a varnish of your choice.....the smell is beuatifull and the experience better.

Imagine how cool the game would like after some years of continous play... really nice, worked and antique wooden pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Theaker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
a) playing online is one player only
b) I agree, it's a fantastic pub game (I'm a Brit too!)
c) It's a beautifully made set, I certainly couldn't make one as nice
d) By buying a copy you are supporting the small independant games company who actually came up with this game.

Playing against the computer is a great way to learn the game and build up some strategy's so you can teach your friends though.

I found the AI impossible to beat at first but once I worked out it's most common tactics I found I beat it 75% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI isn't so tough. It plays the same game almost every time, and seems to never place its grasshopers... I don't know about pubs, but Hive is a lot of fun to play in a coffee shop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy answer to this question is - would you like to see more games from this excellent game designer? If not, you're on the right track...

But if so - the only way he can keep making games is if we reward him by helping him out a little. I'm not saying you *should* pay the postage, given where you live - but if you'd like to support the community of game developers out there, the most effective way to do so is to buy their games.

It sounds like you are saying that since you can play for free, you wouldn't want to buy it - but I think playing for free really does help sell the game - and helps clarify how the game works.

Your question: How can anymore make money selling this? may be specific to being in NZ - but it also applies to virtually any game. The only way people can make money selling games is if we buy them. And if we don't, they don't make money, and they stop making games.

Not that there aren't tons of cool free games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
One easy answer to this question is - would you like to see more games from this excellent game designer? If not, you're on the right track...

But if so - the only way he can keep making games is if we reward him by helping him out a little. I'm not saying you *should* pay the postage, given where you live - but if you'd like to support the community of game developers out there, the most effective way to do so is to buy their games.

It sounds like you are saying that since you can play for free, you wouldn't want to buy it - but I think playing for free really does help sell the game - and helps clarify how the game works.

Your question: How can anymore make money selling this? may be specific to being in NZ - but it also applies to virtually any game. The only way people can make money selling games is if we buy them. And if we don't, they don't make money, and they stop making games.

Not that there aren't tons of cool free games out there.

Thanks guys. We small games designers appreciate all your support. It’s true to say that without it we would never be designing more games.
Much Respect
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the poster who mentioned that being able to play free online will help sales. I played a bunch of games last night on the web and am now looking to purchase the game. It's great! Now to find someone to play with...

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially played online to make sure that the game had as much replay value and depth as I'd read in reviews. When it did, I ordered a copy because I believe that people that use their sweat and brains to create something valuable should be rewarded and encouraged, and $$$ is one of the ways to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Well, it's a really fun two-player game for starters :-)
Actually I have two copies, the original wooden and the newer bakelite version.
Both are cool, the wooden has a nice charm to it, the bakelite has a satisfying "click-clack" as they are played :-)
Haven't even bothered with the online version to be honest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand not buying a game if the price is too high for you and you can play online. (I recently agonized about this with respect to some other games, and decided not to buy them.) But the new Bakelite black and white tiles for Hive are seriously nice and solid and pleasing, and come in a carrying pouch. Very handy to take and play anywhere, and no worries about spilling on them. I'm glad I bought it, even though I also play online.

And as others have said, it's always nice to support the designer if you like his game and his support in answering questions and giving advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to buy the bakelite version but have been having difficulties finding it. I have had an eBay search going on for a month and never seem to get any results.

Anyone know where I could purchase one?

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
Anyone know where I could purchase one?

http://www.hivemania.com/stock/

Or travel back in time a few days to Essen! That's where I got mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkC_NZ wrote:
I can't see why I'd ever actually BUY it - its too easy to make

I own three copies of it. The only reason I stopped at three was because that's how many the shopkeeper pulled out when I told him, "I'll take every copy you have."

This game is absolutely fantastic, and I can't see why I'd ever NOT buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played online to see if I really liked it.

Then I took my daughter to the game store to try it, and she loves it. I really like the bakelite, and wouldn't want a wooden one. Not only are you supporting the designers, but also your retailer.

I mean, really, you could just cut hexagons out of paper and play too... no need to even bother with the wood.

deborah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.