Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hind Sight is 20/20. Anyone not sleeve this game and regret that decision?

Maybe you've had a positive experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:
Hind Sight is 20/20. Anyone not sleeve this game and regret that decision?

Maybe you've had a positive experience?

If your this worried just sleeve it.

I didn't sleeve, and I don't regret the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuuji kousaka
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gotten to play nearly as much as I would like but after my 30-40 plays so far, nope, no regrets :3 Never actually played with sleeved cards for anything but it seems like it wouldn't be very good for shuffling? Anyhow I like the feel of the cards and don't think I'll be sleeving anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
have not sleeved yet, played a lot, no damage so far, will sleeve ASAP though, I'm afraid of spills mostly and that the sweat might make the cards "limp"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being worried and conducting actions are separate trains of thought. I worry that my family and friends might die any day, but I don't wrap them in huge bubble wrap. If someone had really screwed the pooch by not sleeving I'd want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takoyaki wrote:
Haven't gotten to play nearly as much as I would like but after my 30-40 plays so far, nope, no regrets :3 Never actually played with sleeved cards for anything but it seems like it wouldn't be very good for shuffling? Anyhow I like the feel of the cards and don't think I'll be sleeving anytime soon.

I agree with this - I've been on a sleeving kick, but I really like the way the Yomi cards feel so I won't likely sleeve them. They also seem like they will wear better than cards like those in Dominion.
One other thing about sleeving the cards. I sleeve Dominion and Game of Thrones LCG because I don't want some cards to wear out faster than others, and I want new cards to match the old cards. In the case of Yomi, all of the cards in a deck will wear out at the same rate (assuming they do wear out). So again, I'm not as worried about it. On the other hand, the game was quite expensive....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't sleeve them -- I am not a fan of sleeves -- and it's working out just fine for me. The way I look at it, if there's a game I play SO MUCH that we destroy the cards, it's worth picking up a second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwjohnson wrote:
takoyaki wrote:

I agree with this - I've been on a sleeving kick, but I really like the way the Yomi cards feel so I won't likely sleeve them. They also seem like they will wear better than cards like those in Dominion.
One other thing about sleeving the cards. I sleeve Dominion and Game of Thrones LCG because I don't want some cards to wear out faster than others, and I want new cards to match the old cards. In the case of Yomi, all of the cards in a deck will wear out at the same rate (assuming they do wear out). So again, I'm not as worried about it. On the other hand, the game was quite expensive....

Yes I do the same thing based on new cards coming into play. Huge help thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takoyaki wrote:
it seems like it wouldn't be very good for shuffling?

As opposed to how good the Yomi cards are at shuffling by themselves?

I haven't sleeved any cards for any game yet, but I've been thinking about it for this game. The card quality just isn't up to the amount of times I have to shuffle the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal41683 wrote:
takoyaki wrote:

I haven't sleeved any cards for any game yet, but I've been thinking about it for this game. The card quality just isn't up to the amount of times I have to shuffle the cards.

Really? I think the quality of the cards is great. But then again I've only played a few times so maybe they're not as good as I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal41683 wrote:
takoyaki wrote:

Are you implying that Yomi decks don't shuffle well? That has not been my experience at all. Whereas the only time I had sleeved cards (Dominion) they were a huge pain.

I use a cut and riffle shuffle method, which seems to do the job nicely and haven't had any damage issues yet after about 15-20 plays spread throughout the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwjohnson wrote:
Really? I think the quality of the cards is great. But then again I've only played a few times so maybe they're not as good as I think.

I haven't played that many times either, but the quality of my decks is pretty much on par with a set of playing cards that is "included free" with a set of crappy poker chips.

The decks I'm specifically thinking of are the two decks that came with my 200 poker chips with a case for $12 from Kmart.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_004W705074110001P?p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal41683 wrote:
rwjohnson wrote:

I haven't played that many times either, but the quality of my decks is pretty much on par with a set of playing cards that is "included free" with a set of crappy poker chips.

The decks I'm specifically thinking of are the two decks that came with my 200 poker chips with a case for $12 from Kmart.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_004W705074110001P?p...

Playing cards are a huge step up from the common cardstock used in most card games and board games in my experience. Yomi being on par with playing cards is basically saying they are better than pretty much all the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you don't understand how bad these (playing) cards were. After 5 minutes with my cousins they were splitting.

I think that the Pandemic,TTR cards, and Arkham Horror cards held up much better than these.

Edit for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal41683 wrote:
Maybe you don't understand how bad these (playing) cards were. After 5 minutes with my cousins they were splitting.

I think that the Pandemic,TTR cards, and Arkham Horror cards held up much better than these.

Edit for clarification.

Ah, I'm comparing Yomi to Bicycle cards. Those seem pretty good quality to me. Yomi cards are basically the same hight when stacked up next to a bicycle deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy and I had repeated plays with two of the decks. After some time, both decks developed a bow in the cards where they can be "popped" back and forth by pressing up and down on the center of the deck. I'm not talking about a simple arcing of the cards, where an inverse bend of the deck could fix it. The deck literally "pops" up and down by pressing up or down on the center of the deck. I hope that makes sense, because that's the best I can describe it.

I don't know if it was moisture from our hands, or humidity levels, or something else. But I do know I'm sleeving all of them now, so the same fate doesn't befall the other 8 decks. This is the first game I've ever sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Most played deck would have had 15 games, all on the rubber play mats. No damage. Cards are very nice to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
A buddy and I had repeated plays with two of the decks. After some time, both decks developed a bow in the cards where they can be "popped" back and forth by pressing up and down on the center of the deck. I'm not talking about a simple arcing of the cards, where an inverse bend of the deck could fix it. The deck literally "pops" up and down by pressing up or down on the center of the deck. I hope that makes sense, because that's the best I can describe it.

I don't know if it was moisture from our hands, or humidity levels, or something else. But I do know I'm sleeving all of them now, so the same fate doesn't befall the other 8 decks. This is the first game I've ever sleeved.

Sounds like you're shuffling wrong. If you bow playing cards to do a riffle shuffle, you should afterwards form a bridge to remove the bow you put in during the shuffle. That's why people do the bridge, not just cause it looks cool. At least this is my understanding. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh8iMZY4Nb4&feature=channel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
unreal41683 wrote:
takoyaki wrote:

Are you implying that Yomi decks don't shuffle well? That has not been my experience at all. Whereas the only time I had sleeved cards (Dominion) they were a huge pain.

I use a cut and riffle shuffle method, which seems to do the job nicely and haven't had any damage issues yet after about 15-20 plays spread throughout the decks.

I do love shuffling sleeves though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kcRIe39_M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLp5wh5y90&NR=1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Sounds like you're shuffling wrong. If you bow playing cards to do a riffle shuffle, you should afterwards form a bridge to remove the bow you put in during the shuffle.

I'm not shuffling wrong. Well ok, I'm not shuffling any differently than I do with any other card game I own (Dominion, Magic, etc...), and none of my other card games suffer the same problem.

What I was trying to explain in my post was that the cards aren't just bowed along one axis. If that was the problem, then counter-bowing them the other way (i.e. - a "bridge") would fix them.

The cards have 2 possible states now -- "popped up" so the card edges all lay flat on the table but the center is lifted slightly off, or "popped down" so the center of the card is on the table but the edges are all lifted slightly off. They cannot lay perfectly flat now.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, but I'm sure as hell sleeving the rest of them so it doesn't happen to them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are saying now Chris. That is odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:

Amongst cardmen, this style of shuffling is known as 'Greek' shuffling.

Another method of shuffling that does not bend the cards is 'Hundu' shuffling. Quite similar to a running cut, small portions of cards are taken from the top of the deck, to fall in to dealing positon in the dealing hand (the dealing hand tends to be the opposite of the main hand for most players).

Yeah, I know a lot about shuffling cards (see far right microbadge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
SixtyWATZ wrote:

Amongst cardmen, this style of shuffling is known as 'Greek' shuffling.

Another method of shuffling that does not bend the cards is 'Hundu' shuffling. Quite similar to a running cut, small portions of cards are taken from the top of the deck, to fall in to dealing positon in the dealing hand (the dealing hand tends to be the opposite of the main hand for most players).

Yeah, I know a lot about shuffling cards (see far right microbadge).

Ah, Greek Shuffle. I always get that confused with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtInWH6Ody8

The Hundu shuffle is great, it's one of my favorite magic tricks to use on children and simple people. Have that individual pick their card and put it on top of the deck. Then do the Hundu shuffle but pinch the cards tightly to create 2 spacings...

1) The Cards your moving and

2) The Selected card.

3) Ask the person to say stop and sneakily move the card to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha_YXOb0hDg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened to me too. If I bend it back it kind of stops, but it's noticeable that it makes a clicking sound when you push down. Kind of like a snapple cap.

Only when they are stacked together. Unnoticeable really on individual cards.

Does not affect gameplay at all.

Cards are great quality, and I'm glad I started playing this one right away instead of waiting for sleeves. Worked out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:
Happened to me too. If I bend it back it kind of stops, but it's noticeable that it makes a clicking sound when you push down. Kind of like a snapple cap.

Yes, exactly! Great description. I agree it's not a big deal since it doesn't affect gameplay. The audible "popping" is very odd though. I'm still sleeving mine though, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.