Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been learning the game online and am getting set to purchase it. I love it but am also wondering if it is very expandable? I love Dominion simply because the expansions keep coming and keep adding to the game. Does anyone know if there is an expansion in the works? Or is one even doable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
I've been learning the game online and am getting set to purchase it. I love it but am also wondering if it is very expandable? I love Dominion simply because the expansions keep coming and keep adding to the game. Does anyone know if there is an expansion in the works? Or is one even doable?

Yes one is in the works, hinging on the success of Puzzle Strike and Yomi in any case.

It's just as expandable as Dominion (being based on the game and all that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I think PS will get a 10 char update, and then never again an update, This is purely based on my knowledge on Sirlin vision than any official announcement or data.
My point is that if you want to go PS because you enjoy expansion after expansion mode, PS may dissapoint you in the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterd wrote:
I think PS will get a 10 char update, and then never again an update, This is purely based on my knowledge on Sirlin vision than any official announcement or data.
My point is that if you want to go PS because you enjoy expansion after expansion mode, PS may dissapoint you in the long term.

I would never say never on that. If PS ends up being huge - and I think it deserves to be - Sirlin would certainly have significant financial motivation to make more expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pseudo nym
msg tools
mbmbmb
The big issue with more than one expansion of PS would be characters.

Sirlin has been quite clear that every expansion he releases has to be completely standalone, and that means it must include character chips.

So far, there are 10 more characters in the storyline, and the expansion that's in development has those characters. What would further expansions do about characters?

I guess making each one fully standalone also will lead to people getting overloaded with all the common chips if there are many expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the answer to the question is that the game is just as expandable as Dominion. The "ten character update" that is in the works includes 24 new puzzle chips, including another ! chip. However, like with any game, the possibility of expansions increases with popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an expansion in the pipe called "Shadows" that focuses on the villians of the Fantasy Strike Universe. It includes 10 new characters and 24 new pool chips. It is still in development and does depend on the financial success of PS and Yomi, though Yomi just sold out it's first print run and is going to a second run, so that aspect seems to be working itself out.

If you use the online client (fantasystrike.com/dev) and hit "Shift-B" at the character select screen, you can test the chips. Almost anything in that set is up for discussion at:

http://forums.sirlin.net/showthread.php?t=4441&page=9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff. This is very exciting. I've just stumbled upon these games and don't know what the Fantasy Strike universe is. Hints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrBrewhaha wrote:
Cool stuff. This is very exciting. I've just stumbled upon these games and don't know what the Fantasy Strike universe is. Hints?

There are some good people, and some bad people. The bad people are united in their hatred of freedom. The good people think they all like freedom, but aren't sure. To convince the good people that freedom is good, the stone golem Garus Rook decides to hold a martial arts tournament between all the good people. By repeatedly punching each other in the face, the good people will realize that freedom is good, and unite to fight the bad people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh...I now completely understand.

On a seriously fun note - these games are incredibly fun and addicting. I hereby pledge to buy every single expansion for both Yomi and Puzzle Strike.

Will there be an expansion for Yomi, you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost certainly, but not anywhere in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
Ahhh...I now completely understand.

On a seriously fun note - these games are incredibly fun and addicting. I hereby pledge to buy every single expansion for both Yomi and Puzzle Strike.

Will there be an expansion for Yomi, you think?

Also in the pipe featuring the same 10 villians. I think it's also subtitled "Shadows". I don't play Yomi, so I don't know much about its state, but discussion is here:

http://forums.sirlin.net/showthread.php?t=4286

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Gordo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. 10 new characters and 24 new actions chips. I'm all for it! But wouldn't one get more milage if they were spead out a bit, like 2-3 characters and say 4-5 new chips?

But, as a larf, Sirlin could do 'Capcom' style expansions. Like just one chip:

and the corresponding character cards:

Super Puzzle Strike Zero, or something...just having some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilgordo wrote:
Wow. 10 new characters and 24 new actions chips. I'm all for it! But wouldn't one get more milage if they were spead out a bit, like 2-3 characters and say 4-5 new chips?

That would be contrary to Sirlin's manifesto: http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/manifesto

This falls under "Play Right Away", "Noob Friendly" and, while not immediately obvious, "No Rip-Offs"

5 expansions of 2 characters each costs more than one set of all 10, and thus fails the rip-off test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.