finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know how to find the numerical weight of a game, and click to see the specific weight chart. But say I wished to peruse a list of games that go from heaviest to lightest? Any way to do that? Even if I just want to look at some heavier games, Im not sure how to do that.

Also, is there a rating system here based on the perceived level of luck in a game? I know some comments give little sliding scales that go from light to heavy, luck to skill, etc.

thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced search, up by the boardgame search box, will let you search games by weight, between 3 and 4, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thank you so much! wow - that was fast.

anyone have any idea about the luck/skill thing - maybe it's too subjective - but i suppose other stats are too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's subjective and the "right" amount of luck in a game and how it should be "deployed" is a source of fairly heated arguments. Even if you know how much luck there is, where is it placed in the game?

Agricola gives you cards at the beginning (probability decksize!/(decksize-cardsdealt)! I believe), but you can do nothing to alter those cards--if you're missing the perfect card to make your other cards work, tough. In Ticket to Ride you can reject some initial cards and get more route cards (at the cost of a turn); you can also take the safer road of taking known color cards if the right colors are available, but since the game is of variable length, you can't be exact about how much luck is in it, although with enough study, you could estimate it pretty well.

Dice are luckier than cards: if you go through a deck, you'll see each card once; but if you've rolled 6-6-6-6-6, the chance of a 6 next is just the same as it was before you rolled the first 6, human intuition notwithstanding. Euro publishers are pretty hard over on roll first, act on the roll second, though Stone Age is an exception. Still, if your first three rolls in Kingsburg are under seven, you've pretty much got no chance of winning. In Macao, it doesn't matter what you roll because all players use the same dice.

But to get back to the problem of choosing games, the best thing is to think about what kind of luck you like and how much (and how heavy you want it and how much theme matters), and then post to Recommendations.

Or, you might be able to find a gaming group near you which would allow you to "test drive" games before you buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.