Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To what extent is Balloon Game a game of strategy?
Would you say it is 50% luck, 50% strategy?
What percentages would other players give to the luck vs strategy aspect of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Luck vs Strategy?
EndersGame (#474128),

hmm.. I think some of the answer would depend on whether you play the rules as published or if you play the designers orriginal rule of only being able to play on the oponents side after you have played your own.

I have only played the published rules so far, so here is my take...

There is defintly luck in which cards you draw, but since you can play on both sides some of the luck then boils down to if that color has been played yet in the space you want to play the card.

There is also the "luck" of do I play this card here to protect my self and then next time play that card there to screw my oponent, and for me atleast it seems I always choose the wrong order (ie. I play the one card, and then my oponent blocks me from playing the next card I wanted to play.)

So is that luck or stategy?

So it is a little hard to quantify the luck/stategy ratio because some of the luck is in being able to play your stategy before your opponent derails your stategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana (#474289),

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully others will pitch in on this topic as well.

The more I play the game, the more I'm realizing the outcome depends largely on the cards I get. It does require careful thinking, because you are constantly doing mental math to add up the values of cards that have been played, and comparing that with the cards in your hand. In that sense, this would be a great game for students having difficulty with this kind of math! But doing mental math is different than developing strategy. Perhaps the game is deceptive in this sense: you are constantly thinking because you are constantly calculating the totals - but this is different than making strategic choices. After you have done the math, the choices you have to make are usually not that many. Remembering what cards have been played and being proficient in being able to calculate the math quickly goes a long way to playing this game well. But the outcome still seems to depend a great deal on the luck of the draw.

Or are these comments unfair? I have not played the game often enough yet to be certain. Perhaps it makes a substantial difference whether one plays according to the Published Rules (playing allowed on opponent's side at any time), or the Creator's Original Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that the above comments are based on the Published Rules of the game. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to agree that the Creator's Original Rules decrease the luck factor, and increase possibilities for strategy by careful card management (although the game will continue to have a large luck-of-the-draw component).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.