Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Casperson
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never felt the urge to write a session report before this, but my wife and I bought Descent in the first of many a-traditional board game purchases. I will briefly sum up our experiences with the game before this as I feel it gives this session added poignancy. In our first session (Quest 1), I played as the OL while my wife played as two heroes. This session was a learning experience for both of us, and it seesawed greatly with her dominating in the beginning and then I closed out and killed her in the end. The second time we played it was with her family playing a downloaded quest named The Rescue. We did it because it was supposed to be a quick one. Well, because of some errors by her dad, and some poor positioning by her little brother, I killed them in an hour. Our third session found my wife in the OL seat while I played three heroes (quest 3). I dominated thoroughly and throughout ending the quest with around 20 conquest tokens. My wife is extremely competitive and desires nothing but to win when we play games.

So when we got to our latest session (quest 4), one could understand her trepidation and sheer bloodlust for victory. We had invited two newbies to play with us, whom she thought would be a great asset to her, since they used to play DnD with us and had been good at that. The game started out much the same way as other sessions I have read on this quest. They dominated the room and were very happy. The team consisted of Mordrog, Ronan, and Landrec. My wife had learned to keep her LoS, so they were relatively safe until the opened the first door. They made their way into the hall with the Dragon's room. Eventually they had to leave a place open, and I managed to get a few monsters behind them who killed Landrec. On their way to the next room I manage to kill Landrec three times. They were feeling a little scared (especially my wife who saw her victory slipping through her fingers) since by the time they entered the 'Undying Room' they only had two conquest tokens (CT) left. They had some good luck and cleared the room, but by this time, the Landrec player (my friend's wife) was getting tired of all this nonsense. So they left and my wife refused to give up.

So she took the helm of the three players. I could never seal the deal, keeping her around 3-4 CTs for awhile. She would get a seal or a treasure chest and it would bump her up. Finally I managed to divide her, getting Mordrog trapped in the central room with web tokens she couldn't break, and then plucking at him with spider blasts, sorcerers, and skeletons. Landrec ended up saving him popping in and blasting the room wiping at least 8 monsters in one move (Blast is pretty overpowered in my opinion). She had one this side of the room, and had collected a good amount of CTs so she was feeling very confident.

It was time to approach the Dragon room, and she was under the impression that if she killed the dragon, she'd win. So she left the princess alone in the opposite side of the dungeon and made her way over to 'finish it'. For some reason I decided to spawn some skeletons to pick up the princess (I had yet to read myself that she needed to kill the Dragon and have the princess to win), and I found later that I was glad I did. Clearing the hall of the dragon, she was ready to face it. I had built up a veritable treasure trove of threat, and when she opened the door, I unleashed two traps. One an explosion, the other a paralyzing gas. Landrec's blast failed to kill anything but a sorcerer, and then he proceeded to die. Ronan survived barely, and died shortly thereafter. She still had CTs to survive a few more deaths. Now she would send Landrec in (with his newly acquired Curse of Rot) and she obliterated the dragon, but died thereafter. She then realized that she needed the princess to win. I had fortified the princess with skeletons and spiders. With Landrec dead she was down to 8 CTs.

She then tried to get to the princess, but I kept getting out of Landrec's blast range. I manage to get her protected in the center room with spiders and skeletons and sorcerors. She made her final push. She was feeling very confident, and didn't care if she died (she had 8 CTs). But then I went through my cards (Thanks to Evil Genius and the Princess in my possession I was burning through four cards a turn) and it brought her down to 5. Then Mordrog died, bringing her to 1. But she was committed already, with Ronan and Landrec still there. She needed to get the princess or she would lose as they were both wounded, and it was my turn.

I surrounded Landrec and missed with every attack. The others couldn't reach. Ronan came up, point blank sniped the Skele holding her and saved the day.

The game could have gone either way. At any point I could have won, but she survived the entire time, pretty much, by the skin of her teeth. The best game of Descent we've played thus far, and I lost.

A few things I've noticed that seem to need some tweaking:
-Blast is really broken. There should be diminishing returns the farther they are away from the center of the blast.
-Traps like Spiked pit and Crushing block should be able to be placed adjacent to eachother, just not in doorways or in any other way that would block the heroes from proceeding permanently (it could allow for some great trap combos).
-Gold Treasures can basically become win cards.

All in all though, I still felt that playing smart and ruthlessly still gave me enough of a chance at winning despite Mordrog getting Frost Axe and Ronan getting the Elven Bow at the beginning basically.

To sum it up: Great game. Very happy I purchased it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that what needs tweaking is you both need to know the victory conditions as early as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Racca12 wrote:
I had built up a veritable treasure trove of threat, and when she opened the door, I unleashed two traps. One an explosion, the other a paralyzing gas.

Rules page 12:
"Important: Only one trap card may be played per triggering condition. So, for example, each time a hero moves into a space, the overlord may play only one trap card that is triggered when a hero moves into a space."

Racca12 wrote:
A few things I've noticed that seem to need some tweaking:
-Blast is really broken. There should be diminishing returns the farther they are away from the center of the blast.
-Traps like Spiked pit and Crushing block should be able to be placed adjacent to eachother, just not in doorways or in any other way that would block the heroes from proceeding permanently (it could allow for some great trap combos).
-Gold Treasures can basically become win cards.

Spiked pits can already be played adjacent to other stuff, only crushing block is special. In fact, you can play a crushing block, use it to move a hero into an empty space, and immediately play a spiked pit because the hero just entered an empty space. House ruling that crushing block can be played on any empty space that doesn't completely block off any part of the dungeon probably wouldn't break anything most of the time, but it could have a huge effect on balance in certain special cases--such as when the only way around requires going through a whole different area that the heroes weren't supposed to have to deal with yet.

You had an unusually severe case for Blast due to Landrec's ability, but AoE is pretty much unbalancable in standard Descent because monsters pretty much all die in one hit. I don't think diminishing returns based on distance would help much, and even if they did, I doubt it would be worth the complexity it would require.

If you want monsters that survive longer against area-effect or gold-level weapons, though, you might take a look at The Enduring Evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Casperson
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I suspected a double door trap wouldn't be legal. Oh well, next time I suppose. In the end she won, and any amount of fudging on my part, I suspect, matters little to her now.

To make matters worse for Landrec 'blasting on foos', she had drawn the Prodigy skill card giving her four surges each attack for free.

I also gained a new respect for Master Bane Spiders this session. If you can get a hero alone, a Master Bane spider could wreak some serious havoc. Especially if you've got an open space with a lot of other monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Racca12 wrote:
I had built up a veritable treasure trove of threat, and when she opened the door, I unleashed two traps. One an explosion, the other a paralyzing gas.

Rules page 12:
"Important: Only one trap card may be played per triggering condition. So, for example, each time a hero moves into a space, the overlord may play only one trap card that is triggered when a hero moves into a space."

That's what i'm going to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.