Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in the 18XX series for a while, even purchasing 1856 a while back, but trying to get a game of it has been difficult. Play time is a massive factor, as is the lack of component quality. When it comes to economic games, why not play something like Brass or Power Grid instead? (It doesn't help that there are some very, very good economic Eurogames out there).

So, when I discovered Poseidon turning up on the MilSims site and discovered it was a simpler and quicker version of an 18XX game, I knew it MUST BE MINE! It arrived this week, and I wasted little time in roping a couple of friends - Harley and Neil - into a game.

Both found it very interesting, which is great. (We'll get to play it again!) Unfortunately, we didn't have quite enough time to finish the game before Harley disappeared off, so we called the game just before the final Merchant Round and three Exploration rounds and counted up the money. Harley was the victory by about 20 Drachmas over me, with Neil a couple of hundred drachmas further back.

Of course, the result was distorted by my misreading of the rules. The rulebook is mostly good, but I occasionally had trouble looking up a rule. The rule I got badly wrong - and really distorted the game - was that somehow I decided that the exploration ship needed to return home at the beginning of each exploration round. Given that it had a range of 1 for most of the game, you can imagine what an impact that had on the game: instead of going out and making trade routes, the nations were limited to only a few nearby ports!

Oops.

This really caught Neil out, as it made his initial nation - Megalopolis - very poorly in terms of available income. Meanwhile, I had Athens and Harley had Sparta, and both were getting fairly nice incomes. Soon enough, Harley became king of a second nation in Thessalonike, whilst I took Ambrakia on the other side of the map.

As our incomes were reduced by the rules error, the game developed much slower than normal: we only had reached the first 5 ship when the game ended. We were also very conservative in adding our initial merchants to the pool: each player only released 5 merchants, getting three for themselves (as King) and the other two ending up in the pool - where the other players occasionally snapped them up.

I don't want to say too much about the flawed gameplay, but even it the strange form we used, the game was very entertaining. I'm looking forward to playing it with the proper rules as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the exact same error teaching this game for the first time. It did make for a weird game. The game was much better played with the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's particularly odd is that before the game, I actually had the rule right. It was only once the game began that I decided - based on quickly referencing the rules - that I'd got it wrong initially!

(And this is with an example in the rules showing how the game should be played!)

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was a bit embarrassed when I read the rules again and saw that example. Still, even with the wrong rule I really enjoyed it and had no trouble finding people to play it again the next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When it comes to economic games, why not play something like Brass or Power Grid instead? (It doesn't help that there are some very, very good economic Eurogames out there).

Because 18xx are better, duh.

And I love Brass and really like Power Grid. And I'd play and 18xx over either of them any day of the week.

Well, maybe not Brass...gotta work Brass in more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Add me to the chorus of those who played the Discovery Ship rule incorrectly. Strangely, we all never thought anything was amiss, and our endgame scores were surprisingly close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Add my the the chorus of those who played the Discovery Ship rule incorrectly. Strangely, we all never thought anything was amiss, and our endgame scores were surprisingly close.

I'm quite baffled how people could get this rule wrong. The bloody income example on page 8 ought to have proved that particular rule interpretation wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkka wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Add my the the chorus of those who played the Discovery Ship rule incorrectly. Strangely, we all never thought anything was amiss, and our endgame scores were surprisingly close.

I'm quite baffled how people could get this rule wrong. The bloody income example on page 8 ought to have proved that particular rule interpretation wrong.

I was kind of thinking the same but more baffled at how anyone could accept that the rules would, by definition, make upwards of half the entire board completely unreachable by any nation. Ever. The entire eastern side of the map would be completely useless and that would really raise questions with me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Henkka wrote:
garygarison wrote:

I was kind of thinking the same but more baffled at how anyone could accept that the rules would, by definition, make upwards of half the entire board completely unreachable by any nation. Ever. The entire eastern side of the map would be completely useless and that would really raise questions with me...

Not if you build a new home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:

Not if you build a new home.

Our first game we played it even more wrong than that. We assumed that

a) the Exploration ship returns to the Home Port each turn
b) you could place and re-place the New Home at will.

Needless to say, things were a little confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.