Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Seems like a print on demand company could put together a nice copy of this game if . . .

There were no dice.

Maybe the random elements could be reduced to a table or set of icons on the tiles themselves. I'm partially speaking out of turn here, as I do not have the rules memorized; I've only read them once and skimmed them a second time.

My single reservation (visually) for Dungeon in a Tin is the dice. The indented sides with stickers is my least favorite die-type. They seem too much like toys, if that makes sense. Maybe if they were all black or grey.

These are just observations from a person who is visually OCD, and this has NOTHING to do with the game design.

What would look really nice with D.i.a.T. is etched or burned wooden dice.

Anyway, this looks so fun.

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it you've made 3 threads about the game, but you seem reluctant to make it and play it?

"They seem too much like toys"
If you have a problem with toys, why are you here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:

My single reservation (visually) for Dungeon in a Tin is the dice. The indented sides with stickers is my least favorite die-type. They seem too much like toys, if that makes sense. Maybe if they were all black or grey.

As it goes:

- The original prototype had a similar selection of monster squares, but they were used in a chit-pull manner rather than a dice-rolling manner; I went through a couple of iterations before I decided upon dice. One advantage of dice over card tokens is that they give the player something to pick up and move around - one problem I had with the chit-pull approach was that the chits themselves were rather fiddly to place on the dungeon tiles and remove again later when necessary. Of course, making them out of thick enough card would help there, so that's one dice-free option, of course!
(I guess the same chits could be used for experience, as well, thinking about it - so as you kill a monster, take its chit and stack it next to your status card; once you have ten, return them to the pool and level up.)

- Obviously there's no particular need to use the indented dice, they were just the easiest to assemble for the final playtest version; for the previous playtest build I just used regular 16mm dice and stuck the stickers over the faces, and for my to-keep copy I've used non-indented cubes. IMO it looks a lot better! If you'd prefer a version with grey and black backgrounds, it wouldn't be too hard to knock up - although it'd have to wait 'til Monday 'cause I don't think I'll have access to the source images over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:

As it goes:

- The original prototype had a similar selection of monster squares, but they were used in a chit-pull manner rather than a dice-rolling manner; I went through a couple of iterations before I decided upon dice. One advantage of dice over card tokens is that they give the player something to pick up and move around - one problem I had with the chit-pull approach was that the chits themselves were rather fiddly to place on the dungeon tiles and remove again later when necessary. Of course, making them out of thick enough card would help there, so that's one dice-free option, of course!
(I guess the same chits could be used for experience, as well, thinking about it - so as you kill a monster, take its chit and stack it next to your status card; once you have ten, return them to the pool and level up.)

- Obviously there's no particular need to use the indented dice, they were just the easiest to assemble for the final playtest version; for the previous playtest build I just used regular 16mm dice and stuck the stickers over the faces, and for my to-keep copy I've used non-indented cubes. IMO it looks a lot better! If you'd prefer a version with grey and black backgrounds, it wouldn't be too hard to knock up - although it'd have to wait 'til Monday 'cause I don't think I'll have access to the source images over the weekend.

That sounds fantastic!

Thanks. I'm "this" close to buying this as a PNP from the dude in the other thread.

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
androidlove wrote:
Why is it you've made 3 threads about the game, but you seem reluctant to make it and play it?

I really DO want to play it, but I would fail miserably if I tried to make it.

It would look like Sharpie on a Napkin if I PNP'd it!

"They seem too much like toys"
If you have a problem with toys, why are you here?

Oh no, it was not my intent to sound negative. I guess that did, though. I just don't like colored plastic dice. It has nothing to do with the prototype shown, it was just a request to get discuss other dice (or whatever is out there other than the colored plastic because I am in discussions with Andrew Tullsen, the PNP expert, to buy this.

Again, this game looks, sounds, seems FUN, and I will own it soon, just not at my useless PNP hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will make it with chips and a combat dice.

- More monsters and with this you only need a game copy to play with a friend.
- Easily expandable with more class of monsters and rooms Example: Gargoyle (+1 to combat, make 2 damage points, if you use a bomb you kill him immediately) or guard room (2 skulls, throw a die afther every combat, with a 1-2-3 result add 1 more monster to the room)

And why not more tipe of missions?... :p

Example: recover the Sun amulet (Enter the dungeon and recover the sacred amulet. Rest a skull to every room until you recover the amulet, when you have the amulet add 2 red skulls to every room)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisha Holloway
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen dude, if you want to play this game you are going to have to:

a) Pony up and make it yourself. It's not rocket science, just do your best. You'll still have fun playing, and if you decide you can do a better job next time, make a new copy and gift your old one to someone (or trade it on BGG).

b) Get a crafty friend to make it for you. This can't be that tough either.

c) Pay or trade with an experienced PnPer on BGG to make it to your specs.

I really think you are analyzing the process and the possibilities to death. If you're hung up on the first version you have being perfect, you'll be too paralyzed to start. The fun on PnP games is that they are not only charmingly imperfect/handmade, but they are unique to each player.

Stop worrying so much, just make the game and play it already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Read three posts back from Feb 13th: my comments on buying it from a PNP expert.

C

nishidake wrote:
Listen dude, if you want to play this game you are going to have to:

a) Pony up and make it yourself. It's not rocket science, just do your best. You'll still have fun playing, and if you decide you can do a better job next time, make a new copy and gift your old one to someone (or trade it on BGG).

b) Get a crafty friend to make it for you. This can't be that tough either.

c) Pay or trade with an experienced PnPer on BGG to make it to your specs.

I really think you are analyzing the process and the possibilities to death. If you're hung up on the first version you have being perfect, you'll be too paralyzed to start. The fun on PnP games is that they are not only charmingly imperfect/handmade, but they are unique to each player.

Stop worrying so much, just make the game and play it already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be material or official rules for a diceless version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.