Popular Tags: [View All]
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a quick overview of pointers on how to best make use of fuels when using a Furnace to smelt or cook.

First off the types of fuel and their "burn rates" as it were.
Tree: 1.5 (IE: 2 Tree will smelt 3 block)
Wood: 1.5 (IE: 2 Wood will smelt 3 block)
Stick: 0.5 (IE: 2 Sticks will smelt 1 block)
Coal/Charcoal: 8.0 (IE: 1 Coal will smelt 8 blocks)
Bucket of Lava: 100 (IE: 1 Lava will smelt 100 block. Bucket is burned in the process)

As you can see, Coal is the most efficient fuel for the effort. Lava would top out, but it uses up the bucket too making it inefficient for more than large scale smelting.

Using a base treetrunk is the least efficient fuel as it can be either A: Converted into Charcoal, or B: Converted into Wood.

1 Tree = 4 Wood = 8 Sticks. This works to 1.5,6.0 and 4.0 burn rates respectively. If you don't want to mess with making Charcoal, then converting the Tree to Wood is the second best option as you are loosing only 2 burns each. To make Charcoal you merely "smelt" a Tree block in a Furnace. 1 Tree = 1 Charcoal. Charcoal works just as Coal and can be used to make torches as well.

A full compliment of 64 of a material will get the following.
64 Tree = 96 uses or = 384 Wood uses (256 Wood) or = 256 Stick uses (512 Sticks)
64 Wood = 96 uses or = 64 Stick uses (128 Sticks)
64 Stick = 32 uses
64 Coal/Charcoal = 512 uses
64 Lava = 6400 uses (burns up 192 Metal in the process)

But Sticks do have their uses. This is when you are cooking meat or fish. 2 Sticks will cook 1 food. Why is this better? Because using Coal you have to watch the cooking and time the swap in of meat, otherwise the fuel will be used up and wasted.
Sticks are also usefull when you need to smelt less than 8 of an item instead of wasting burning coal for the same.

Hope this hase proved usefull (and hope my math isn't totally bonkers! ahem...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't really given much thought to efficiencies and just used whatever I had on hand. So thanks for this as it has got me thinking how I might play better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xeromist wrote:
I hadn't really given much thought to efficiencies and just used whatever I had on hand. So thanks for this as it has got me thinking how I might play better.

I've always used coal, but I see you could make charcoal and get some torches for the first night which would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.