Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the designer diary (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/261/the-making-of-ulur...) is up, some may be looking for english rules for the game.
They will be up soon - the file is just waiting for the admins approval.

Uluru does not have english distribution yet, so the english rules are my prototype rules with an extra page that "translates" the prototype cards to the final cards.
It is nicely layoutet and illustrated, so I hope everybody will be able to understand the game from it.

Edit:

I have had to delay the english rules a bit, because licenses for english distribution is being negotiated, and Kosmos is not quite sure the foreign publishers want them out yet.
... I wonder if anyone has a qualified guess on whether posting them would be better or worse for sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spielwiese Berlin
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I work in a boardgame cafe called Spielwiese in Berlin (actually I'm at work right now whistle ) We have a copy and it would be great for our many english speaking customers if there were an english rule set. Otherwise it will only get plays from those who speak german.

Your question about sales... If someone plays a game then they can knowingly decide whether they want to buy it or not of course. So it'll help sales if it's a good game for sure

btw I found this thread because I was looking for the rules in english.

Daniel
Spielwiese Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
English rules posted anywhere yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're waiting for the english rules to turn up, I can explain the game in short here. Check out the image files to get the whole picture.

Each player gets a playerboard and a dreambird of each color.

The demand cards are shuffled and 8 of them are placed face up on the gameboard.

The sand timer is turned, and all players simultaneously try to place their 8 birds on the 8 spaces of their playerboard, in a way that satisfies as many of their demands as possible.
When the time runs out you can't move your birds anymore and all the players solutions are reviewed. For each bird you did not place, or that you placed in a way that does not satisfy the demand card that was placed by its image on the gameboard, you get 1 minus point.

The meaning of the demand cards are from top left:

- I don't know what I want (this demand is always satisfied).
- I want to sit at one of the highlighted places
- I want to sit next to white
- I want to sit across from blue
- I want to share a corner with green
- I will neither sit next to nor across from yellow
- I want to sit at least 2 places away from orange
- I want what pink wants
- I want the opposite of what black wants

Definitions of "Next to", "Across from" and "Sharing a corner with":

The "I want what ... wants" acts as a copy of the card lying by the other bird.
The "I want the opposite of what ... wants" takes a little more explaining, but its quite logical - you'll figure it out
If a birds demand card refers to itself, then it is automatically satisfied.

Here's an example of a solution to the puzzle at the back of the box:

Yellow does not sit across from white, so that costs 1 minus point.
Orange (looks brown here) want to sit next to orange, so it is automatically satisfied.
All the others are satisfied as well, so this solution cost just 1 minuspoint.

Play 6 rounds and see who has the fewest minuspoints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy today. Very excited to dive in. I notice that the backs of the cards all have a number on them, ranging from 1 to 5. Is there a certain way you're supposed to distribute these cards in the game? At first I thought it would be for the number of players, or the round, but all the 1 cards are "I don't know what I want" cards, so that's obviously not the case. Instead it seems to me that they are difficulty cards. 1 being super easy and 5 being really tough. Any recommendation on how to distribute them?

Edit: I ran the rules through google translate, and it sounds to me like the 4 and 5 cards are more advanced cards, and used once everyone has a good idea how to play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct the cards are numbered for difficulty so you can set the cards for your group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
Yes, you are correct the cards are numbered for difficulty so you can set the cards for your group

Thanks. I just ran through six rounds of solitaire goodness. After 3 rounds I had only 1 mistake! "This game's easy!" I said to myself. "I'll need to add the 4 and 5 cards, and flip to the double-want-per-bird side of the board right away!" Uh, no. I managed to miss 11 in the next 3 rounds! Eek! Fantastic. I can't wait to play this with a group with the added pressure/stress of knowing that you're racing other people.

Edit: After dinner I setup another solitaire match, this time I threw in decks 4 and 5. My brain burst into flames and my face melted the way it did when I first played Ricochet Robots. I think I'm falling in love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.