Subject: Miami as its own country rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an IT system at work which is undergoing some changes to include certain exemptions for users from "almost-EU" countries, Croatia, Macedonia and Turkey. One of my colleagues thought that was a weird group of countries and said, in all seriousness, that if she'd made the choice it would have been "Greece, Miami and Blackpool". wow

I don't think there are any work-approved geography training courses she could go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a most excellent game with a map that depicts the Northeastern US and adjacent parts of Canada. Cities include Boston, New York, Ottawa, many others, and that world-famous city "Maine."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
There is a most excellent game with a map that depicts the Northeastern US and adjacent parts of Canada. Cities include Boston, New York, Ottawa, many others, and that world-famous city "Maine."

Don't be fooled. Maine is like Esthar from FFVIII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in the UK for a year, and often was stopped by British gals interested in my accent. When asked what part I was from, I'd say "Minneapolis." To which they'd reply "Do you know Bob? He's from Texas!" Happened more than once.

Of course the size of England makes it quite easy to say "do you know Bob Smith from Nottingham" and have the answer be "yes, I do."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall one of the US Olympics having the problem of New Mexican residents being redirected to international sales because the US organizers could only sell tickets in the United States. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I lived in the UK for a year, and often was stopped by British gals interested in my accent. When asked what part I was from, I'd say "Minneapolis." To which they'd reply "Do you know Bob? He's from Texas!" Happened more than once.

Of course the size of England makes it quite easy to say "do you know Bob Smith from Nottingham" and have the answer be "yes, I do."

One of my Dad's favorite stories is when he saw a play in London that takes place in the US. The actors had no understanding of the various American accents, so one would be inexplicably southern while another would be New York, etc etc.

(On the other side of things, I once babysat a kid. While reading him a bedtime story, I used a British accent. He told me I should be more London and less Manchester. Still have no idea what the difference is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
(On the other side of things, I once babysat a kid. While reading him a bedtime story, I used a British accent. He told me I should be more London and less Manchester. Still have no idea what the difference is.)

I do! It's amazing just how different accents can be between people who live even 50 miles away from each other.

I'll never forget my first day in the UK... thinking all the accents were the "London" kind we hear on tv... took me a good month to really stop asking people to repeat themselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and many of their actors use different accents depending on where their character is from as well as their economic status. Yeah, to the untrained ear, they might all sound alike but they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It seems a staple question on British quiz shows was along the lines of:

Which of these is not a State?
A. Florida
B. Kentucky
C. Nebraska
D. Chicago

I saw several variations of this question during my vacations there about 20 years ago.

I also saw a musical in London which contained a line something like, "No one would ever go to Nevada to gamble." The audience did not get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

Not quite the same thing, but my mum's friend (who has since died, sadly) once went on holiday to New Zealand and met a woman who was not only from Newark, but who also knew my mum lol.

stagger lee wrote:
erak wrote:

I do! It's amazing just how different accents can be between people who live even 50 miles away from each other.

I'll never forget my first day in the UK... thinking all the accents were the "London" kind we hear on tv... took me a good month to really stop asking people to repeat themselves...

50 miles is a long way. I can tell you the difference between Mansfield and Nottingham accents, and they're about 10 miles apart if that. Not to mention Mansfield and Newark (which are 15-20 miles apart).

To an outsider though Mansfield would probably sound like South Yorkshire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been in New England in some time, but it used to be that NYC, Boston, and Maine had very different accents. (NYC had several.) Last I was in the area, it was hard to find strong accents. (Much of the US has, more or less, a "Midwestern" accent, and broadcasters are mostly trained to that accent.)

A Boston radio show, Car Talk, takes calls asking car questions. A running gag some time ago was, "Okay, call us at Car Talk Plaza. The number is eight-eight-eight, two-two-seven, eight-two-five-five. And for our listeners in Maine, the number is ayt-ayt-ayt, toah-toah-sehven, ayt-toah-fiyve-fiyve." (Members of the British Commonwealth: exchange aitches and wyes to get the correct accent.)

Of course, this is a Californian trying to describe how a Bostonian portrays a Maine accent. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cryolemon wrote:

50 miles is a long way.

Not in the US, esp if you're in a large city. When I was living in the UK, my Brit friends couldn't believe I wouldn't think twice about hopping in a car or train or bus and go to the coast or up to Scotland. There is so much wonderfulness crammed into such a small space. It blew my mind that friends in Birmingham had never been to London because it was too far... Yet by my standards, it was an easy weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
cryolemon wrote:
50 miles is a long way.

Not in the US, esp if you're in a large city. When I was living in the UK, my Brit friends couldn't believe I wouldn't think twice about hopping in a car or train or bus and go to the coast or up to Scotland. There is so much wonderfulness crammed into such a small space. It blew my mind that friends in Birmingham had never been to London because it was too far... Yet by my standards, it was an easy weekend.

On the other hand, you also run into the opposite problem. I don't think anything of the 50 miles to LAX (except during rush "hour"), but visitors will often want to see the big redwoods (800 miles) or visit New Orleans (2000 miles). Once I was on a trip to Sydney and a colleague wanted to take a day trip to Ayers Rock (1800 miles, now known as Uluru).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

True, 500 miles for a "day trip" without a plane is about my limit.

Tall_Walt wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
cryolemon wrote:
50 miles is a long way.

On the other hand, you also run into the opposite problem. I don't think anything of the 50 miles to LAX (except during rush "hour"), but visitors will often want to see the big redwoods (800 miles) or visit New Orleans (2000 miles). Once I was on a trip to Sydney and a colleague wanted to take a day trip to Ayers Rock (1800 miles, now known as Uluru).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the title of this thread was such a tease.

I've been waiting for the rest of the US to cut Florida loose for years. And I'm from there (sort of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
cryolemon wrote:

50 miles is a long way.

I don't mind long journeys, but since I don't drive they get expensive on the train. If I want to go to Inverness on the train it would cost me >£124 for a one way ticket, and the journey would take 8+ hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cryolemon wrote:
I don't mind long journeys, but since I don't drive they get expensive on the train. If I want to go to Inverness on the train it would cost me >£124 for a one way ticket, and the journey would take 8+ hours.

That's not really bad, about 50 mph if I've got the right Newark--that's a good average speed. And it's only about 15p a mile, lower than the running costs on a car: petrol, insurance, maintenance, taxes, paying for it.... And if you can sleep on the train, it effectively takes no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
cryolemon wrote:

That's not really bad, about 50 mph if I've got the right Newark--that's a good average speed. And it's only about 15p a mile, lower than the running costs on a car: petrol, insurance, maintenance, taxes, paying for it.... And if you can sleep on the train, it effectively takes no time.

That's true I suppose, but you do have to change trains twice (once at Leeds, which is 40 minutes away, so that doesn't matter too much). I would actually quite like to go on a long train journey. I might do when I finish college and have nothing to do for a month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.