Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a couple of friends and I are tackling the campaign game (1757-end), which is probably foolish since this is the first time playing for the other two and I had only played the 1757 one-year scenario prior to this. 8 hours into the game we have completed . . . 1757. We are pretty much having to look up things constantly especially the first time a situation occurs and it didn't help that there was a 2-week hiatus in between our first and second session, but still. Since there are a lot of interlocking mechanisms it is also difficult to visualize the consequences of one's actions (If I move here, what will be my supply status? how can I improve it? what will happen in winter? what are those modifiers for supply raids again? that kind of thing). Will play speed up at some point or do people find that this is just a slow-moving game? We are actually all really enjoying it but we meet just once a week for 4 hours give or take so at the current pace it'll take quite a while to finish. The game is fascinating and a lot of fun, but I think only playing for a bit once a week is keeping the rules from really sinking in.

On a side note because I like to whine (one of gaming's finer pleasures) - I'm Austria and played Karl von Zinzendorf in Fall 1757 and proceeded to roll a total of 5 on three dice. How much financial trouble am I in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattwan,

I offer of course a prejudiced and also non-representative opinion, but some observations:

1. "since this is the first time playing for the other two and I had only played the 1757 one-year scenario prior to this."

I think ths is the crux of your problem. If you/friends have the time/inclination, some solo turns for them on (I presume) any other owned copies of COM would help greatly. Though you will see the full gamut of comments on complexity (too complex, gave me a headache, I had PMS when I read it so I know it sucks, etc, vs. "not as complex as the whiners who always have PMS make it out to be") it is not in the league of say Empire of the Sun. Learn the supply rules. I repeat, learn the supply rules, and make your buddies read and learn the supply rules, before you sit down to play again.

2. I wager if you'd each soloed two years' worth of game, the 1757 year would have taken you 3 -3.5 hours. This year IS about the densest in the game (hence the scenario title "No Year More Rich").

3. Zinzendorf -- sorry about the bad dice luck! But your future financial state depends on too many things to make a prediction. You'll have to keep playing to find out -- but make sure the French pay you your 2nd Versailles loans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobkalinowski wrote:
Mattwan,

I offer of course a prejudiced and also non-representative opinion, but some observations:

1. "since this is the first time playing for the other two and I had only played the 1757 one-year scenario prior to this."

I think ths is the crux of your problem. If you/friends have the time/inclination, some solo turns for them on (I presume) any other owned copies of COM would help greatly. Though you will see the full gamut of comments on complexity (too complex, gave me a headache, I had PMS when I read it so I know it sucks, etc, vs. "not as complex as the whiners who always have PMS make it out to be") it is not in the league of say Empire of the Sun. Learn the supply rules. I repeat, learn the supply rules, and make your buddies read and learn the supply rules, before you sit down to play again.

2. I wager if you'd each soloed two years' worth of game, the 1757 year would have taken you 3 -3.5 hours. This year IS about the densest in the game (hence the scenario title "No Year More Rich").

3. Zinzendorf -- sorry about the bad dice luck! But your future financial state depends on too many things to make a prediction. You'll have to keep playing to find out -- but make sure the French pay you your 2nd Versailles loans!

Thanks for the response! I think you're right about the lack of experience. We've enjoyed every minute of the game so far, but I'm hoping we can get the playtime down more to the range you suggest so that we can get the game played more often. Your estimate that this might only take a couple years' worth of game-time is encouraging.

And rest assured that the pinch-penny French were not allowed to leave the table until they'd handed over every bit of the 2nd Versailles loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played CoM PBeM several times, and FtF at least once. At the end of the FtF day (6-7 hours) I was getting to the point where I could remember the Sequence of Play. With PBeM play, I was always refering back to the sequence of play, and I never really got a grasp on what I was supposed to be doing strategically. I found it hard going.

So either I'm dense or the game is. Possibly both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.