Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that you have read the summary and saw the images of the game before reading this review. I have played this game couple of years ago together with some friends. It was very fun and when lately I saw a copy of the new small box edition I have decided to buy it for my self. Since then I played it few times mostly with two or three players and once with four.

Contents of the box:
- 1 Instruction
- 2 special 12-sided dices with pictures of the animals on the sides (On the red one you will find a side with fox, horse, pig, 2 (or three) sides with sheep and the rest with rabbits. The green one has a wolf, cow, pig and the same
amount of sheep and rabbit sides as red one)
- 1 Exchange rate table
(1 sheep = 6 rabbits, 1 pig = 2 sheeps, 1 cow = 3 pigs, 1 horse = 2 cows, 1 small dog = 1 sheep, 1 big dog = 1 cow)
- 60 rabbit tokens
- 24 sheep tokens
- 20 pig tokens
- 12 cow tokens
- 6 horse tokens
- 4 small dog tokens
- 2 big dog tokens (the number of tokens of each kind also acts as the upper limit on the number of such animals which can be owned by all players.)

Mechanics (short rules summary): The games proceeds as follows on his turn player must first decide whether he wants to exchange some of his animals for another one according to the table of exchange. He can do it using "bank" (pile of tokens not owned by any of the players) or with other wiling player. Important is that you can acquire in this way only one animal (so you can buy only 1 sheep even if you have 12 rabbits and would like to get two sheeps) or in case of selling animals (exchanging more expensive into cheaper ones) only one kind of animal hence you can get 2 cows for a horse but not 1 cow, 2 pigs, 1 sheep and 6 rabbits although the value is the same. You can also buy using mixed kind of animals for example to get a big dog you can exchange 2 pigs, a sheep and six rabbits. After exchanging you role two dices. Then you count the number of pairs of animals that were rolled you own plus those on the dices and this is how many new animals you get from the bank (if available). The best way is to explain this on the examples. Assume that you have two rabbits and a sheep and you rolled a rabbit and a sheep on your dice. You first count the number of the rabbits 2 (owned) + 1 (on the dice) = 3 hence you have one full pair and you get one rabbit. As for the sheep 1 (owned) + 1 (on the dice)= 2 hence one pair = 1 new sheep. There are two special animals on the dices a fox and a wolf. If you rolled a fox you loose all your rabbits (not if have a small dog in that case you just loose this dog which runs away after the fox) and if you are unlucky enough to roll a wolf you loos ALL your animals save for a horse and small dogs (if you have a big dog instead you just return its token to the bank). And the game proceeds in clockwise order till one of the players manages to have at least one of each kind of farm animals (rabbits, sheeps, pigs, cows, horses) then for the last time he rolls the dices ad if his still contains all the animals he is declared a winner.

Finally after explaining how game you play the game I want say few words how it works in practice. The most important factor in the game is luck and you have to bear this in mind reading this review. If you hate games where everything depends on fate ... super farmer is not for you. But if you like competing in quite friendlily atmosphere with things depending on fate small but still you want to use a bit of risk management game could be fun for you. Having said that I want to say that for such a simple game there are some strategies you may want to try to increase the your odds of wining. The first decision you will need to make soon after start of the game is wether you want to go for fast growing population of cheap rabbits or maybe invest your live stock to acquire much more expensive animals but which are not creating offspring so often. Of course people like to see their herds grow and try to stick with rabbits but that is quite risky since rabbits are also eaten by fox not only wolf and other animals are not harmed by fox. The second option is buying insurance (dogs) ... risk and maybe fast growth or safe but slow improvement? The choice is yours. And finally some very nice aspects which you discover after few games. The fact that the numbers of each animals are finite (and in fact in 6-player game you would say small) makes the game very interesting you can block winning player buy acquiring all animals of certain type (or collecting all dogs) and then only trade with other players. This forces the winning person to wait till you will get a wolf and in the mean time ... he has to watch out for it himself. And so on ...

What makes this game fun then? The fact that it plays fast, the fact that people are starting to wish each other rolling a wolf . The game is just very very nice. Just looking at this hoping rabbits which are producing tones of offspring makes you smile and want to get this nice sheep also. Not mentioning the ultimate farmer dream and immortal horse . The game is great for a family with nice theme and lot of laughs (it can teach a children a little bit of math 6 rabbits is a sheep and 2 sheeps is a pig so haw many rabbits do you need for a pig?). Also it is nice lesson dealing with a defeat (nothing hurts so much as having your 28 rabbits eaten by a fox when you just considered bluing a small dog and decided to take a risk).

Overall score:
Elements 8/10 nice, happy graphics and good quality of elements but the tokens could have been bigger (although big box version might have that)
Fun 6/10 (9/10 for the kids) if you like the luck factor in the game add two to my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
than qall
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you for the review.

I have played the game and found it to be fun, however I cannot get this: what is really the purpose of the board that each player gets? i am hoping you can tell me your thoughts.

Each board has "slots" for animals (1 horse, 2 cows, 3 pigs, etc). Since it has only 5 slots for rabbits, one has to keep 6th and following rabbits off the board or stacked on top of other ones - does this mean that the purpose for the board is just to ease learning of the game?

Maybe someone could offer their thoughts on it.

As a side note - our own house rule was that you always have to fill the board first with animal buttons and if you get more of them, you keep them outside of the board. Then, when the fox/wolf strikes, they eat only all those animals that are on the board.

This helped the game be a bit more fast paced - at least for our group, since everyone seemed to roll a wolf or a fox every ~5 dice rolls and we all kept losing animals for the first half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Longest game ever though it seems....well it is going in lots of loops watching the family playing there first game lol....im trying to remind them of the rules...now they studying the dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon F-T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I find the board helps to identify when I have the potential to trade up animals (6 rabbits = 1 sheep, 3 pigs = 1 cow, 2 cows= 1 horse, but the other ratio 2 sheep = 1 pig is not helped by the board). I just stack them on top of each other and the filling of rows reminds me that I can trade upwards if I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Puffe
Germany
Elxleben IK
Thüringen
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wojo wrote:
Important is that you can acquire in this way only one animal (so you can buy only 1 sheep even if you have 12 rabbits and would like to get two sheeps) or in case of selling animals (exchanging more expensive into cheaper ones) only one kind of animal hence you can get 2 cows for a horse but not 1 cow, 2 pigs, 1 sheep and 6 rabbits although the value is the same.

Sorry to post in that old thread but we startet playing the game and are not quite sure about the exchanging rules. We understand that you can exchange ONE animal into a FEW others OR a FEW others into ONE. That means that ONE horse can be exchanged into 1 cow, 2 pigs, 1 sheep, 6 rabbits. Isn't that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only trade multiples of the same type, ie horse for cows, or rabbits only, not horse for cows AND rabbits. The same with going up, you can't trade four rabbits, a cow and a sheep for a horse. They have to be the same type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Penna
msg tools
Shaynerichards72 wrote:
You can only trade multiples of the same type, ie horse for cows, or rabbits only, not horse for cows AND rabbits. The same with going up, you can't trade four rabbits, a cow and a sheep for a horse. They have to be the same type.

The rules in my edition say that you can. They give 3 examples:

"1) A player has 6 rabbits and 2 cows. He can ...for example... exchange 6 rabbits for a sheep, or two cows for 1 horse.

2) A player possessing 6 rabbits, 1 sheep and 2 pigs may choose to exchange them for a cow (since 6 rabbits=1 sheep, 2 sheep=1 pig, and 3 pigs=1 cow).

3) A player has a horse. He may exchange it, for example, for 1 cow, 2 pigs and 2 sheep".

So it seems, according to these rules, that you can make any chain of exchanges that you want to.

The only limit, it seems, is that you cannot, e.g.:

1) exchange 12 rabbits for 2 sheep (every single exchange in the "chain" during a turn must be from or to 1 animal)

2) first exchange 6 rabbits for 1 sheep, and then - during the same turn - exchange, e.g., 2 cows for a horse (since then it would be two separate exchanges and not a chain)

Does that sound okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.