Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The Hapsburg and French players are allies. The French fleet consisting of 3 French Squadrons spends 2 CP to move from the Barbary Coast to Gibralter to the Atlantic.

Is this legal?

Legal Supporting Documentation:
Section 2.5 under Ports wrote:
However, if the two-zone port between these zones Messina, Gibraltar, or Istanbul) is under friendly control, naval units may move into this port from one zone during one Naval Move action and then back out to either zone during a later Naval Move action.

Illegal Supporting Documentation:
Section 16.1 2nd Bullet wrote:
Naval units may only move to ports controlled by another player if enemy naval units are present in that port. (This restriction prohibits naval moves into a port controlled by a major power ally.)

Edit: Emphasis added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on Ed's rulings to date I predict he will say it's not legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, it sounds like there are some ConSim World posts that say it is illegal (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@257.vLKAbbRd2Zm.47@.1dd0...). Strange to define the word 'friendly' and then misuse it in the same section of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the French in this situation, so I am somewhat biased. It seems that the rules are a bit contradictory on the matter. 16.1, bullet 2 seems to trump earlier contradictions in its specificity. However, doesn't it seem strange that F could RETREAT into the Atlantic through Gibraltar after attacking H navies there(if we were at war) but can't move there peacefully through an ally's port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been raised long ago and was ruled as not legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallagher
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Memory of Ed's answer on this when I asked is that you can go through a two front port.
I would need to look it up. He may have changed the ruling since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDR G wrote:
My Memory of Ed's answer on this when I asked is that you can go through a two front port.
I would need to look it up. He may have changed the ruling since then.

You can do that if the port is yours, as you can enter only your port or your enemy's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's a bit odd you can go through an enemy port if he has a naval unit there you can fight (and retreat on the other side), but you can't do the same into an empty enemy port, or an allied port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is done to prevent Atlantic-Mediterranean movements without adding complex rules. Remember that the Mediterranean was sailed by different types of ships than the oceans.

The Turks learned it the hard way in Diu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.