Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all - I played this game once at BGG con this year and recently bought it. Now I need to teach it to my group so I'm trying to get the myriad rules down. Here's a question that I can't seem to find the answer to:

If you're the evilest player, and above the paladin space at the end of Year One combat (and the Year One paladin is dead), and Year Two begins, do you instantly get the Year 2 paladin? It would appear so but I can't find a ruling on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two palidins don't have any impact on each other.

If at the end of a year a player is Most Evil, and has reached or passed the threshold space on the evilometer, the Palidin is lured out of the pub to go fight bad-guys (you). Its possible for him to be reassigned if the Most Evil changes to another player. But each year works identically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand they have no impact on each other - what I'm wondering though is if when year two begins, Paladin #2 instantly goes to the evilest player (who is above the paladin spot on the evilometer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:
I understand they have no impact on each other - what I'm wondering though is if when year two begins, Paladin #2 instantly goes to the evilest player (who is above the paladin spot on the evilometer).

Yes, the year 2 paladin will immediately move to someone that is over the paladin spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! This game sure is brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:

Hey, if you're dungeon is tough enough...there are plenty of times when you WANT to attract the Paladin for the points you can generate. I've seen a player win going this route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
ELPsteel wrote:

Hey, if you're dungeon is tough enough...there are plenty of times when you WANT to attract the Paladin for the points you can generate. I've seen a player win going this route.

Yes, but keep in mind that it can royally blow up in your face if you forget to gather enough food to keep your dragon happy... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Just to note as long as everyone is playing seriously (and the luck isn't complete s**t) it's not likely to get the paladin.

If you do chances are he will wreck your dungeon as you try to capture him and your evil is reduced by 1 for every square he conquers.

A little rule we didn't know the first time we played and thus we had people way past the paladin line first time we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Just to note as long as everyone is playing seriously (and the luck isn't complete s**t) it's not likely to get the paladin.

If you do chances are he will wreck your dungeon as you try to capture him and your evil is reduced by 1 for every square he conquers.

A little rule we didn't know the first time we played and thus we had people way past the paladin line first time we played.

I disagree with this. Remember, you can score final points for being most evil, so its not always optimal play to keep your evilometer low. If you can best the paladin, you should usually go for it. I've seen people beat the paladin and the rest of the party without it thrashing the dungeon too much. A clever combo of monsters/rooms/traps make it possible.

One thing I think a lot of beginning players forget is that ultimately you're playing to score the most points. If you start focusing more on that objective, some of the decision-making takes on a different light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
One thing I think a lot of beginning players forget is that ultimately you're playing to score the most points. If you start focusing more on that objective, some of the decision-making takes on a different light.

I tend to think that this phenomenon highlights why this game is so great. I'm normally a pretty competitive player, but this is perhaps the only game in my collection where I have a definite tendency to forget about scoring and trying to win and just focus on building an awesome dungeon. The fact that there is an excellent strategy game underlying all this theme is the icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
cornjob wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

I disagree with this. Remember, you can score final points for being most evil, so its not always optimal play to keep your evilometer low. If you can best the paladin, you should usually go for it. I've seen people beat the paladin and the rest of the party without it thrashing the dungeon too much. A clever combo of monsters/rooms/traps make it possible.

I should have been clearer. I meant you are unlikely to get the paladin if you do not want to get him. The only time I ever see someone who is playing seriously and doesn't want to get the paladin get the paladin is when there is an even that causes him/her to gain a lot of extra evil or they screw up a payment and just barely make it over the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.