Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to buy a few graphic novels for older teens to add to my library collection. I'm good on the basic stuff like Naruto, Boys Over Flowers, Vampire Knight, etc. But I'd like to get some more interesting things (preferably science fiction/fantasy/horror) for the older kids without going over the top with violence and, especially, sex/language. Not because of my personal tastes, but because of community standards (small, rural town with conservative tastes.) "Mature" ratings are somewhat nebulous, and I can rarely tell just by reading reviews online. I still can't believe I got away with getting Akira for the collection.

I've been considering the following:

Sweet Tooth, by Jeff Lemire
The Nobody, by Jeff Lemire
The Unwritten, by Mike Carey & Peter Gross
Chew, by John Layman & Rob Guillory
Biomega, by Tsutomu Nihei

Any thoughts on the suitability of these, or suggestions for other titles suitable for YA/older teens. I'm willing to push the envelope a bit, but I don't want to push too hard. We already have Watchmen, Extraordinary Gentlemen, V for Vendetta, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Tellos, Ghostopolis, Mouse Guard, Unsinkable Walter Bean.

Things that would make me shy away would include:

LOTS of the worst profanity (yes, occasional, mild profanity is no longer shocking, even around here!)
Graphic sexual depictions (suggestive or sexy is okay)
Extreme brutality (anything too horrific for a teen, or relentless gore)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I haven't read the others, but Chew and The Unwritten would be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm actually a bit surprised by this request. Can't you just ILL them and see for yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:
I'm actually a bit surprised by this request. Can't you just ILL them and see for yourself?

Well, sure, but it would cost the library postage (~ $2.50) on each one. I will also check them out at Borders or B&N the next time I'm there (assuming they're in stock.) But I had some time to research them today and didn't find all the answers I needed online, so I thought I would throw it out to the many comic fans out there on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

Chew can get quite brutal and gory, but it's used more for a comedic effect like Dead Alive or the Evil Dead 2.

Honestly, it's borderline to your parameters, but it's nothing that'd be new to an older teen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Biomega is quite graphic and noted as containing "explicit content"

You might try his earlier series Blame! not quite as so hard core

Might I also suggest in Manga...

Trigun
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
Patlabor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Ministry Of Space by Warren Ellis. Pretty devoid of sex and gore - and SF too.

The Chimpanzee Complex is now a 3 book series in English (originally written in French). SF again and a mature story but not sex and gore.

Another from Cinebook is Aldebaran - which has drawn complaints about retouching the artwork (adding in a bra) to make it more palatable to non-French audiences.

I would like to recommend Grandville (and Grandville Mon Amour) by Bryan Talbot but can't because it probably has a bit too much blood. It isn't relentless and only used where necessary however the way it is drawn is quite vivid with sprays of blood when people get hit.

The graphic novel version of At The Mountains Of Madness is supposed to be really good but I haven't seen it yet. But there was no sex in the original story by Lovecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
erak wrote:
edosan wrote:

Chew can get quite brutal and gory, but it's used more for a comedic effect like Dead Alive or the Evil Dead 2.

Honestly, it's borderline to your parameters, but it's nothing that'd be new to an older teen.

He's already got Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. If those are okay, Chew is a walk in the park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet Tooth & The Unwritten are from the DC Vertigo line, which itself is labelled as mature content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.