Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group just recently discovered this great little game. It's easy to teach and a lot of fun.
The first player draws 2 cards and picks the card he want to go for (on the left below)
The card can have different characteristics such as Day or night, year of the battle, point values rewards and resources. Getting a full green resource (bottom left) lets you have more cards, and some years and types of attacks are harder for other players to play.

So the dealer decides the attack type- Air (top) Surface (middle) Sub (bottom).
The card they play must match the year of the battle, the time (day/night or both), and the force. There are bonus cards and event cards that are really fun.

The best part of the game is that there are only 2 sides. Japanese and Allies. So many players can pick and choose what side they want to be on during a battle. You can take on attacks as the enemy, or help a friend who just got whammied. And smack talk and talk is allowed during the whole game. Sort of seems like the diplomacy of card games.

I have played 2 games of this and really enjoyed it. The best part is seeing the personalities of my friends come out in full force, and having a lot of fun.

Its on sale at GMT for $20 and Ive seen prices online as low as $11.

Tanks a lot!

Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is a great little game - highly overlooked.

Five players is really where this game shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 4 last week and it was a blast. 5 would mean the last guy is the deal breaker(odd man out). I can really see that totally impacting the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I agree that this is a great little game - highly overlooked.

Five players is really where this game shines.

We find this game even better with more players! The following clip is from a 8 player game:

I guess it's always possible that we're playing it wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
We had 4 last week and it was a blast. 5 would mean the last guy is the deal breaker(odd man out). I can really see that totally impacting the game

Not always. We played our first game with 5 last night, and there were times when someone lead with such overwhelming force that no one wanted to play the other side to give the winners more spoils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Not always. We played our first game with 5 last night, and there were times when someone lead with such overwhelming force that no one wanted to play the other side to give the winners more spoils.

Yes, that's why we like playing 6+ on this one. Even if everyone is throwing in for one side, the chances are still good that someone will play the enemy to take advantage of a Fate card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
cheng wrote:

Yes, that's why we like playing 6+ on this one. Even if everyone is throwing in for one side, the chances are still good that someone will play the enemy to take advantage of a Fate card.

You just love posting that picture, don't you?

I've read about your large group games, but I'm still skeptical. For me, any game with more than 6 players becomes a party game or goes way too long. Five went well, and 6 probably would too, but 7+ isn't something we're likely to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cheng wrote:
You just love posting that picture, don't you?

Oh... Sorry! I didn't realize I posted that one so much! Mostly it's because I'm too lazy to go digging through my crowded and unlabeled personal gallery and that pic is conveniently close to the top of the Typhoon list. Here's a different pic... I hope it's better!

cheng wrote:
I've read about your large group games, but I'm still skeptical. For me, any game with more than 6 players becomes a party game or goes way too long. Five went well, and 6 probably would too, but 7+ isn't something we're likely to try.

Well, don't even think about going through the entire battle deck, lol!

No, we end the game by consensus when everyone has had a fair shot at the lead. This works because so many of the battles are contested (I'm guessing at least 75 percent) so most winners get to collect Victim of some sort (they may even pass up the Battle card for a dead monster ship). Thus, even after one cycle around the table, just about everyone has a winning of some sort.

The downside? After about two cycles you really start running out of cards because so many cards are lost to carnage and there are so many more players needing them. I might buy a second deck and use a "no duplicates" rule to get around this problem.

The best thing, though, is that you get a lot of dramatic battles: victory seems certain for one side but suddenly someone drops a Battleship and two people rally around it... What will the last two players do? People are screaming at them to tip the balance in their favor... "Look at all the stuff you'd kill... Think of the points if you join us!". This clip is from our absolute minimum, six players.

We tried playing with 4 or 5 and everyone hated it. It was way too likely that the first few guys would jump on the same side either because of raw chance or because of an intimidating lead. With at most one person left who might back him up, next guy generally wouldn't have the guts to take the other side, and so a lot of battles kept going by uncontested.

With uncontested battles, there are no Victims, giving a lopsided advantage to the guy who wins the only spoil available, the Battle card. Without the all the reversals of battles tilting back and forth and one person hogging the winnings, people start whining that the game is "broken", has too much luck, and even complain that it's "clearly" designed for more players, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.