Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a little confused on the wording in the directions regarding missions.

From the rules: "When you have claimed a mission, put it face-up on your Player Board. Then draw a new mission from the mission deck....... You can only have one mission at a time, but can discard a mission upon claiming a new one."

Does "claim" mean successfully completed the requirements of the mission or does "claim" mean I pick up the card and state that I will be attempting the mission? If the the latter, then would that mean that I (as the player that "claimed" the mission) would be the only one who could attempt to fulfill the requirements of the mission? I guess what I'm asking is when do I put the mission card on my player board - when I decide I will work on that mission or after I have successfully completed the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MN Gopher wrote:
Does "claim" mean successfully completed the requirements of the mission or does "claim" mean I pick up the card and state that I will be attempting the mission?

It means that you pick it up and will be attempting to complete it. Note that you have to meet the criteria at the top of the card to claim it (pick it up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are located in the port of the location shown on their cards. You may claim a mission as part of a port action where it is located, if you can meet the requirements stated at the top of the mission card, by simply stating you are claiming the mission and placing it face up on your board. Then draw the top card from the mission pile, read it aloud and place it in the required sea zone/port. This ensures there are always two missions available to be claimed. You must now complete your claimed mission as stated on the bottom of the card in order to gain the mission bonus and glory point for successfully doing so. No other player may work on that mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to claim a mission successfully you have to meet the requirements of the card under Req:. Often it's an infuence roll, but it can be also be as simple as having the right bounty.

Usually the requirement is thematic to the mission itself.

Also be aware that there's a sometimes overlooked rule where you can put the misson on your player board even if you haven't successfully "claimed" it as long as you remain in the space.

This allows you to make several attempts to claim it should you fail the first few rolls and prevents other players from entering your sea zone or port and grabbing it from you.

EDIT: Strike through removes subsequent comments for lack of accuracy. My apologies guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Also be aware that there's a sometimes overlooked rule where you can put the misson on your player board even if you haven't successfully "claimed" it as long as you remain in the space.

This allows you to make several attempts to claim it should you fail the first few rolls and prevents other players from entering your sea zone or port and grabbing it from you.

Um, where are you seeing this in the rules? All it says is that if you fail to claim the mission, it remains in play and you can try again on a subsequent port action. There is nothing about putting it on your player board in the interim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

Really? That one is news to me - where did you find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, this is embarrassing. Where did I get it? It looks like I just made it up. I must have misinterpreted that section early on when reading the rules and never corrected myself in subsequent re-readings.

Bad advice folks. I guess this is why it pays to keep talking about your games! Both of you are right. The rules clearly state the the mission remains in play if you don't succeed in claiming it.

I'll edit my piece to cross out the misleading information. Thanks guys! (And sorry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys. Played game number 2 tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.