Subject: We Didn't Playtest This: Custom Card Maker! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Bloomberg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
:O Well hello there!

So sometime last year, I decided to code a page which could be used to design and create custom cards for any and all We Didn't Playtest This-related occasions. And then I did! The final result:

http://justin.oakledge.net/makeacard.php

All you have to do is use the Flash app which says "Click here to design your cards." (pretty obviously) to get started!

For the card back, just enter your name, and the output will be "YOUR NAME Didn't Playtest This At All" (Don't deny it, the text animation for this is pretty cool.) The card back will be used alongside all the cards you submit in the same run, so if you submit and want to come back, you can't just add to the old list!

Card fronts are made of title text, body text, and footer (flavor) text. I managed to add in a function to make the text smaller if it doesn't fit, so each text field can be as long as you want, until it gets too small to read.

When all's done, click the third "Ready?" button to submit to the site! After a quick processing phase, all the cards are saved. They'll be hidden until I accept them manually (I'm usually very quick with this, don't worry!)

And that's it! Let's see some of those crazy ideas floating around the Asmadiverse, yeah?

[EDIT] So for the first time since it's inception, I've decided to update this thing!
Found: after about 5 cards, submission gets iffy. Just submitting 5 cards should be pretty safe, I've submitted 6 okay (depending on the set), and perhaps 7 may work, but it gets much more unlikely at this point.
Also: changed the year on the bottom of the cards to reflect the current year. Sorry 2011! You got jumped

Future plans (note to self):
-fix small bug when adding new cards, possible to have duplicate text from old card appear instead of "Card header", etc.
-save cards if session is lost
-enable submissions of over 5 cards in multiple packets
-allow submission of 0 cards Ifor those who just want the neat custom card back)
-A way to delete cards after accepting them, for "oops I didn't mean to do that" purposes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I endorse and/or approve this product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see this until now... sheesh. Threw in a half-dozen off the top of my head for fun.

I'll be back to make more.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bloomberg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A very sad thing has happened. As you can see, next to the card maker app, the last person to submit cards is Lamina. That was this past December! (After I submitted my own cards back the previous June...hehehe) Since then, I've received I don't know how many cards from 5 different submissions... Alas, as is sadly common with code...somehow, somewhere along the line, something broke. At first I thought it was some kind of user error or a bad connection of some kind on the user end. But as it has become clear to me now, the server end is experiencing technical difficulties. If you know you sent cards anytime this year or intend to, please hold on! Any cards submitted have shown up blank, save the card backs appearing severely cut off. Like so: http://imgur.com/a/ifugY#0

A truly tragic occurrence indeed. I do hope this will be up and running again someday! I'll post here if anything changes. So long, Asmadinauts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.