Subject: QUESTIONS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

With luck we'll play this tomorrow, I think I'm now confident enought to teach the game to the others.

Some questions still remain though.

On concerns the setup of the game.
I understand that when you sent up the game you are to place on of the sacks on the nr 50 of the score track.

Now I can not understand why you'd do this, cause at that point nobody will score from it, and besides if you have to put 5 in the bag, and give every player 6, that adds up to zero left.
Surely that must be a miss print?

Than the scoring.
If I put down a black sack, am I correct in understanding that everybody with a black plantation, connected to a harbour scores that turn?

And what if in a later turn black is played again.
Am I right in assuming that my black plantation that allready scored in a previous round will score points again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sagitar wrote:

With luck we'll play this tomorrow, I think I'm now confident enought to teach the game to the others.

Some questions still remain though.

On concerns the setup of the game.
I understand that when you sent up the game you are to place on of the sacks on the nr 50 of the score track.

Now I can not understand why you'd do this, cause at that point nobody will score from it, and besides if you have to put 5 in the bag, and give every player 6, that adds up to zero left.
Surely that must be a miss print?

It's been a while since I played so I need to refresh myself on scoring before answering your second question.

On this one, you have misunderstood the directions. When you are using the "blank" side of the production board - the production board is the one showing the countries and has spaces for all the pieces - there is a specific and random setup.

1) You start with 35 coffee sacks 7 each in the 5 colors.
2) The production board has 6 spaces that are "highlighted" In these 6, you place FIVE coffee sacks - ONE of each color.
3) in the 6th space, you place a RANDOM coffee. This is what the rules refer to as the "final marked space" - and it is just a means to fill the final 6th space.
4) then 5 more are randomly removed to the bag.
5) finally, the remaining 24 sacks are even distributed among the players.

So that is
5 to the board - 1 of each
1 more to the board - random
5 to the bag - random
24 to the players - even divided and random
equals 35 bags

Nothing is placed on the plantation board during set up (except the cards that block the path in 3-player games and the scoring markers). No coffee is placed here and nothing is placed on the score track.

In the p[re-determined set-up, these 6 coffees are pre-determined as well. Then you place 5 random in the bag and distribute 24 random like above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sagitar wrote:
Than the scoring.
If I put down a black sack, am I correct in understanding that everybody with a black plantation, connected to a harbour scores that turn?

Am I right in assuming that my black plantation that allready scored in a previous round will score points again?

I needed to brush up on the rules and verify it. The answer is yes to both.

However, the points might be different on subsequent scorings since ships may have left or the plantations scoring are not connected to them. So each plantation of the coffee color selected scores, but points are based on each plantations specific situation in regards to the paths to the harbor and what ships are there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHA!

Indeed that's where I went wrong, because I simply filled up the production board with all that was portrayed on it.
So as all the sacks are colloured I simply put in what was indicated.

So the last one has to be randon. Funny they should display a colloured one, but never mind, that solves my first problem.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
sagitar wrote:
Than the scoring.

However, the points might be different on subsequent scorings since ships may have left or the plantations scoring are not connected to them. So each plantation of the coffee color selected scores, but points are based on each plantations specific situation in regards to the paths to the harbor and what ships are there.

So that means it understood correctly that you can score all your connected plantations every time an appropriate sack comes up.

Hm, must check the rule book cause I suddenly seem to recall reading something about you only being allowed to build one of every collour, but I might be mistaken there.

Thanks for your help.
Now we can have a go at playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sagitar wrote:
AHA!

Indeed that's where I went wrong, because I simply filled up the production board with all that was portrayed on it.
So as all the sacks are colloured I simply put in what was indicated.

So the last one has to be randon. Funny they should display a colloured one, but never mind, that solves my first problem.

Thanks,

Realize there are two set-ups. One is pre-determined and has all the spaces filled. In this case, you place exactly what is shown on the board. Which means the 6 coffee are pre-determined and the same coffee color will ALWAYS have 2 sacks on the board. This is set-up 5b in the rules.

On the back side of the board, the board is blank except for the highlighted area. This is set up 5a and this is where you take 5 of the coffees and then randomly select the 6th. One coffee color will still have 2 sacks on the board to start but it will be a different color each game instead of the same one all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sagitar wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
sagitar wrote:
Than the scoring.

So that means it understood correctly that you can score all your connected plantations every time an appropriate sack comes up.

Hm, must check the rule book cause I suddenly seem to recall reading something about you only being allowed to build one of every collour, but I might be mistaken there.

Thanks for your help.
Now we can have a go at playing this.

No, you are still limited to only one plantation of each color. However, scoring is tied to the ships which then leave the board. Also, you score the plantation of the matching color. You still score if the plantation is not connected, you just don't get bonus points.

So say for example you are player 1 and you have a plantation of 3 workers. Your plantation is connected to a harbor with 2 white ships. You score white on your turn. You would score 1 point for each worker which is 3. Having 2 ships in harbor triples your score. So you score 9 points. Because you score, one of the white ships now leaves.

On player 2's turn, he also scores white. You still have 3 white workers so you score 3 again. But now since there is only 1 white ship left, you only double your points. So instead of 9 points, you now score 6. That white ship now leaves the dock.

With no white ships left in the docks, the next white scoring should be only 3 points, and will continue to remain 3 points until either new workers are added or new ships arrive.

So you continue to score points but most times the value will go down because the bulk of your points - the doubling, tripling or quadrupling - comes from ships which will always leave after a scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we enjoyed our first game of this, me and the boys that is.
My wife didn't get it and lost interest and we made the decission for her, would you believe she won.

But we didn't play the block option to not make it too complicated.

It can become quite challenging at one point.
Especially not being allowed to have plantations of the same collour next to eachother can be a pest.
Especially if someone has his workers stretch out, limiting options even further. Some discussion went on as what would be considered neighbouring.

One thing we had a problem with is workers that are placed before a shed is build.
No if some has place a worker, hoping to build later on in the game and at one point you are able to build a shed of that colour, are you allowed to? or does this mean that spot is reserved for that players shed.
We played it that last way.
We did have a situation where a certain colour shed was not possible, allthough there was a worker there, waiting for it.So that was a lost worker.
Someone else had build a shed of that colour to close.
So if it is a fact that placing worker before shed building, means you have dibs on that spot, than that shed should not have been build.

Can't find anything on it in the rules....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You do not have dibs on a warehouse space just because you placed workers. The game can get nasty if other players are aggressive and block your ability to place that shed. You either have to connect to another location (which may not be possible) or abandon those fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's what I figured, but this being the first game I didn't want to put off the others by playing with a gun on the table.

So in short this game is really simple.
The trickey bit however is when you have to find a good spot for your plantation as you may not get your workers confused with neighbouring workers.

So if you really want to mess thing up you can build your workers in a long line, stretching over a large part of the board, thoes keeping others from building that colour anywhere, where your workers are.
Or have I missed a rule preventing this.

Another tricky bit is, getting your shed establisched before another player robs you of your space.
But if this happens... does the worker and the tile stay on the board, so in fact you've lost a worker and a tile because of this hostile take over. That is my understanding.
Or are you allowed to remove them,... I don't think so.
I think the presence of the same collour worker will not be a problem as it is actually on it's owners tile, so you can not mistake it for one of your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Plantations of different colors - even of different players, can touch each other. Plantations of the same color cannot.

Ownership is determined by the player tile under the warehouse. Then, every worker connected to it is part of that plantation. So ownership is clear - and is why two plantation of the same color cannot touch. If you do not have a shed yet, you temporarily place the tile under one worker until you get the shed so ownership is clear.

Once placed, sheds and workers (and roads) are not moved. Ownership doesn't change either.

The other thing to realize is that If I hope to get a white shed eventually on a shed location, but I instead place a white worker next to that spot, no one else can place their white shed in that location - as it is forbidden to put two plantations next to each other.

They could place a different color there. In which case, I still retain possession of the worker and tile. I would just then try to connect this worker to another plantation location elsewhere.

The point though is that you don't want to place a worker without a shed and you don't want to place a shed without a worker. Sometimes necessity dictates that you do but you don't want to leave that condition open for too long. So do what you have to to marry up a worker to his shed right away as they can't score you points until they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha..

so placing a worker on a tile does not give you dibs on the location.

it does however dictates what colour can not be used on the location.

So if I place a black worker next to a location, that means that nobody can build a black plantation in the area, as that would be understood as building to equally coloured plantations next to eachother.

Thanks for explaining that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sagitar wrote:
Aha..

so placing a worker on a tile does not give you dibs on the location.

Yes. Just make sure we are on the same page concerning the terminology.

If by "location" you mean "building site" (which is reserved for only sheds), then yes. You have placed a worker in a space adjacent to the building site means no one but you can place the same color shed there.

If by "location" you mean "space" (where workers are placed), then no. That space is yours with that worker until the end of the game.

Quote:
it does however dictates what colour can not be used on the location.

So if I place a black worker next to a location, that means that nobody can build a black plantation in the area, as that would be understood as building to equally coloured plantations next to eachother.

Thanks for explaining that.

Yes, but you can still build a black shed there. Just no one else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, we're on the same space here.

Thanks for explaining all that.
The next game will be far more easier and interesting.
Looking forward to it.

Appreciate your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.