Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1978

Some nice swarthy barbarians to mix into the chaos.

(Edited 2/15/11: Fixed link to new announcement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm glad they chose Chella as a commander!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting. I'm excited to see how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm seeing a blank FFG news screen from that link and can see no offical mention of this in news/homepage or the BoW page... anybody else having the same issues as me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ezeqiel wrote:

I'm seeing a blank FFG news screen from that link and can see no offical mention of this in news/homepage or the BoW page... anybody else having the same issues as me?

Double-checking the link now I'm getting that too. Odd. Did someone hit "Publish" too soon?

It is listed on the Products page for BoW though. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, its gone now, silly FFG. Should have copied the text!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Products page for BoW, same as what was in the news item:

Quote:
Born in the cruel climate of the Mountains of the Moon, the clansmen of the Stone Crows, Black Ears, and Burned Men are of a violent breed. Uncivilized, uncouth, and unrefined, these men and women live to kill, and they do it well.

Tribes of the Vale introduces the clansmen to Battles of Westeros as an ally force, meaning they can supplement House Lannister or, if playing with the Skirmish rules, House Stark from the Core Set. Ally forces such as those found in Tribes of the Vale are represented as tan colored miniatures on the board, differentiating them from the forces of the house they are supporting. This provides greater customization for Skirmish battles and allows players to easily find their allied troops on the field during battle.

Included in Tribes of the Vale are are three new commanders and three new unit types. Shagga, Son of Dolf is a ruthless barbarian of the Stone Crows, capable of wielding two massive battle axes better than some men handle one. Timett, Son of Timett earned his place as the Red Hand of the Burned Men by taking out his own eye. A fearless expert swordsmen, Timett rarely fails to kill anyone he means to. Finally, Chella, Daughter of Cheyk is a vicious woman, decorating herself with the ears of her enemies.

In addition to these new forces, Tribes of the Vale also comes with a rules and battle plan book, new terrain, and Clansmen Gambit and Skirmish cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the quote Blark, sounds good all -in- all, look forward to its release...

So if we are getting Lords of the River and Tribes of the Vale already on the release schedule, could we hope for 4 releases this year (Lords of the River in Qtr 1, Tribes of Vale Qtr 2, 2 un-named in Qtrs 3+4???). That might be a bit of a push but would be welcomed by me!

The tribes do sound good, could this be the first all infantry expansion? or will we get 3 infantry commanders but not necessarily their related units (like Maege Mormont in the full BoW game)

Any release is a good release in my book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of wondering if this is the Goblin (with the other allies set as the Dwarves) equivelent from Battlelore. Maybe not as squishy as Goblins, but I can see that maybe they would have similar restrictions (double-Retreats, etc). I'm curious to see what they will be too, since there's little indication other than there will be three types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hoping to see some larger expansions for some of the other major houses.

Ive been getting into A Game of Thrones: The Card Game lately and I'm really enjoying the different houses strength and weaknesses. I would love to field some Martell units in BoW!!

Also Id really like to see some Bolton action for BoW! OP!! Did I just say that!? Ok..ya got me Gaskil! I just picked up the most recent Chapter Pack Cycle for AGoT LCG, and I gotta admit, House Bolton looks pretty sick! At least from the LCG game perspective. In fact, I'm working on building a deck centered around Bolton. Its so funny how the mechanics in that game match so well to how they are in the books!

"ok, I attacked for you, now I'm gonna go over to your opponent for awhile, I'll come back when you have something better for me..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

@ gdotbat

Perhaps if they follow the same kind of release schedule as last year (big set, 2x exp sets)... then there might be a larger set released later in the year to cater for a full Major House (or 2). The logistics of price points etc would make this very hard to believe, but at the same time I'm not sure they can release another Major House as an expansion set with only 3 commanders and a couple of scenarios...

(I know Tully is a Major House, but they played more of a supporting role in the books so I can see the "allies" angle for them, Greyjoy or Baratheon deserve more than the small expansions set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tribes of the Vale allies expansion announced... briefly
Nice,I hope this gets Stark & Lannister completed
& we'll see a Major House next.

But then again Fey & Bolton should be represented
so we'll see.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert T.
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The cover art- copied from my RSS reader

edit: also here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good find Wladek - I'm liking that cover!

lets hope we keep getting this level of support for the game, it was only a short while ago that Lords of the River released any info & detail and here we are already looking forward to the next release

With the HBO show coming out in only a few months time, they might as well make hay while the sun shines - I for one will be picking this up, if not only for the fact that I got to play a Tribesman as an extra in the show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:

Also Id really like to see some Bolton action for BoW! OP!! Did I just say that!? Ok..ya got me Gaskill! I just picked up the most recent Chapter Pack Cycle for AGoT LCG, and I gotta admit, House Bolton looks pretty sick! At least from the LCG game perspective. In fact, I'm working on building a deck centered around Bolton. Its so funny how the mechanics in that game match so well to how they are in the books!

Roose,ROOse,ROOSE devil He just grows on youlaugh

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the annoucement is back. I've fixed the link in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they're are coming with the newer plastic, battlelore like, banners. Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:
Looks like they're are coming with the newer plastic, battlelore like, banners. Cool!

Yeah, those Battlelore-style banners should be in every expansion starting with Lords of the River.

Also, you could sub in the mounted figures from this expansion for the Clansmen cavalry that Tyrion leads in Scenario 12 from Wardens of the West.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like we are getting 2 infantry and 1 cavalry unit then with this expansion.

My observations so far after best efforts to zoom in on the figures image:
1. Appears to have both inf units armed with 2-handed weapons, neither of which look like axes, so are both equipped as swordsmen?
2. The cavalry look to be armed with spears which coincides with the last image on the announcement page.
3. Saving the image of the spear wielding tribesman to the desktop shows the file as being named "bow-tribe-blackear-art", so we can fairly safely assume the mounted unit is the Black Ears.

I'd reckoned earlier that we'd be getting an all infantry expansion, so I've been proved wrong. This thought was mostly due to me not being able to remember any instances of the tribes being mounted in the books, but a quick wiki check and I've been reminded that Timett vaulted from his horse when it was killed in the charge. Do any of the others have references to being mounted?

If my above theory of the mounted unit being the Black Ears is true, then we have to suppose that that is Chella as the mounted commander figure (the mounted commander does look a little slighter in frame from both infantry commanders if you really squint at it!).
Shagga obviously has the double axes and with Timett being described as an expert swordsman, the 2nd infantry figure may just fit as him.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I will say that the banners look well when inserted into a base (though admittedly the picture is not of great quality).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right about the leaders and Chella is on horseback. Shagga looks hilarious with his two axes, kind of like an old school GW Warhammer Fantasy figure. So, it seems like they are trying to represent the three tribes, but that all of them will be identified by the bloody hand icon.

Truthfully, this expansion looks a lot more interesting to me, at least aesthetically, than the Lords of the River. I'll hold off until I see the actual new rules and scenarios, but right now I'd rather have barbarians than yet another set of generic medieval-looking guys.

Also, besides Blackfish, the Tullys have uninteresting and/or annoying commanders (Edmure as a beast on the field of battle???). But the clansmen were all interesting in the stories and they go with Tyrion, so that's win/win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

Yeah, those Battlelore-style banners should be in every expansion starting with Lords of the River.

Also, you could sub in the mounted figures from this expansion for the Clansmen cavalry that Tyrion leads in Scenario 12 from Wardens of the West.

I've been waiting for this to be possible.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.