Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 Player Variant Smaller Island rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this yesterday with my daughter and it went very well. I took out half of each type of land tile to make the island twenty spaces in total. I did this randomly but there may be a set that would work better than others (I,m not sure). The game went quick we both only landed about five survivors before we drew the Volcano. Let me know what you think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a good start to a 2 player variant. Now, as you say, just figure out the right balance of the tiles to leave in.

You can also try having each player play with 2 colours on the full board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
That sounds like a good start to a 2 player variant. Now, as you say, just figure out the right balance of the tiles to leave in.

You can also try having each player play with 2 colours on the full board.



Ohh, I'll have to try both when we get our copy! We play 2p a ton.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
That sounds like a good start to a 2 player variant. Now, as you say, just figure out the right balance of the tiles to leave in.

You can also try having each player play with 2 colours on the full board.


This is what I was thinking after playing it two players with my wife, we had everyone to a safe island or dead before the last forest tile was flipped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have done 2 player where each player sinks two tiles each turn. Works well, and the board gets just as full as 4 player with monsters, etc...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Anderson
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
We have done 2 player where each player sinks two tiles each turn. Works well, and the board gets just as full as 4 player with monsters, etc...

This is exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if it would be too devastating or result in too many monsters. Did you perform both tiles' actions, or get to choose one? I also thought that you would have virtually no people on beach tiles, which would give significantly less swimmers.

wrote:
I tried this yesterday with my daughter and it went very well. I took out half of each type of land tile to make the island twenty spaces in total. I did this randomly but there may be a set that would work better than others (I,m not sure). The game went quick we both only landed about five survivors before we drew the Volcano. Let me know what you think.

The issue with pulling out half the tiles before the game would be less monsters, but maybe that is better with 2p? I could see there also being a potential problem of having no sharks but a bunch of shark move tiles, and that would be a disappointing game. It would probably be good to have a specific set.

I think we will try the "remove two tiles" variant today. Maybe we will say that you have to place at least 3 people in each terrain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we did do both tiles' actions... I don't recall it being too devastating but it was a while ago. It was definitely better than having both players get all their people ashore, which happened a few times when we were only sinking one tile.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.