Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Mendoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I want to or not. I think it looks cool and obviously they're well protected from the accidental spill on the gametable or you just decide to play in the rain! But I'm just not sure if I want to make the investment. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering the same thing. I have the base game plus all expansions and aside from the cost of sleeving the thousands(?) of cards there is the increased space requirement to consider.

I have been making plans to build a custom case to carry the game plus all expansions (with room for 2-3 additional small-box expansions). Even without sleeving the cards this is going to be a huge case - I don't know if it's even feasible to build the case with sleeved cards in mind, it would just be too big.

I'm also leaning towards not sleeving them as there is not nearly as much shuffling in Arkham Horror as there is in some other games. Plus, I don't get the game to the table that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved the big cards (Mythos, OW/AH Encounters) from day one. With penny sleeves those didn't cost much at all. Only sleeved the small cards after I noticed the Arcane Tinmen sleeves my FLGS had were a perfect fit for the FFG small cards (and their other sizes as well). In hindsight I wish I had sleeved them from day one as well, their thickness made shuffling them not the easiest and edges/corners of some of the cards have wear and tear on them. Shuffling with sleeves is also a lot easier, cards slide between each other more freely.

For storage, I wouldn't fit everything into the base AH box anyways, so sleeves vs non-sleeves wouldn't have affected my storage option. I keep everything (no Lurker or KH) in AH + IH boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a sleever. Yes it's more money and space but when I play I can watch my buddies flick the cards, "rat claw" them, (our term for using your nails on them) and even put them in wet spots. I get why some don't like sleeves but if you can afford it I say go for it.

Here is my storage solution for my sleeved game (all 4 big box expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sleeve ~ my girlfriend and I have spent several evenings drinking wine, and sleeving...let me tell you, it's worth it. I'm having a friend design/build some card holders, and if they work, we may sell them. Oh, when you first sleeve them, you'll find that they'll slip all over the place. Place them back into the original sleeve packaging and secure tightly for a day or two. The compression will force the air out of the individual sleeves and they'll stack much nicer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
SLEEVE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Mendoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All great info guys! I think I'm convinced to do it. Now, which ones do you recommend and for which cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't now if they are available in the US, but I use arcane tinmen
mini and medium (not 100% sure about the size).
Fantasy Flight offer there own, but they are more expansive.
They have a pdf sleeving guide however that'll tell you which size and how many packs you'll need (1 pack = 50 sleeves).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just stuck with the FFG Sleeves for all my games. I personally found the Maydays a little too tight and although they would have fit snug I didn't want take the extra time it would take to not damage the cards.

To comment on what another poster said I do stack a book and a weight on them after sleeveing for a night or two. My storage also packs them firmly. Makes them stack easier.

For large stacks I use these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
Don't now if they are available in the US, but I use arcane tinmen
mini and medium (not 100% sure about the size).
Fantasy Flight offer there own, but they are more expansive.
They have a pdf sleeving guide however that'll tell you which size and how many packs you'll need (1 pack = 50 sleeves).

If you can find Arcane Tinmen sleeves, just cross-refence between FFG's sleeve-size and AT sleeve-size:

FFG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

AT: http://www.arcanetinmen.dk/index.php?id=97

Unlike the tales I've heard of Mayday sleeves not being quite the right size, AT are 1-1 in size with FFG's sleeves (and come in packs of 100 vs FFG's 50).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SLEEVE, SLEEVE, SLEEVE!!! No matter how careful you are, 'Pooh' happens. Someone will spill, step on, drip food on, etc. your BEST card. So, my son, SLEEVE! Also carry a large metestick around so you can rap the knuckles of that fanatical shuffler that bends your cards almost in half whenever he shuffles the pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
William Keller wrote:
step on

Need very premium sleeves to protect against that laugh !

Of course, around here, no food or drinks are allowed. When it's gametime, it's gametime. If you can't go without food/drink for about max 3 hours, there's something wrong .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Mendoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Nazi!!! Lol!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
William Keller wrote:
step on

Of course, around here, no food or drinks are allowed. When it's gametime, it's gametime. If you can't go without food/drink for about max 3 hours, there's something wrong .

It's not really a "need" of food and drink as much as it is just more fun to play Arkham Horror with beer and pizza.

I'm sleeving just about every game I have (including Arkham). For one thing I want people to be able to eat while they play without me turning into a basket case every time they forget to wipe their fingers off. Also cards tend to get sticky after a time no matter how careful you are with them. I hate it when cards start sticking together. So for me, sleeving has been an excellent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
bournizzle wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
William Keller wrote:
step on

It's not really a "need" of food and drink as much as it is just more fun to play Arkham Horror with beer and pizza.

I'm sleeving just about every game I have (including Arkham). For one thing I want people to be able to eat while they play without me turning into a basket case every time they forget to wipe their fingers off. Also cards tend to get sticky after a time no matter how careful you are with them. I hate it when cards start sticking together. So for me, sleeving has been an excellent choice.

Most of the time I play with my kids and sleeving is absolutely essential, far too many grubby fingers (even after mandating that they wash their hands before we play). shake

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do sleeved cards fit back into the box's original insert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.