Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I cannot believe that there are no comments about this game. Normally I am into the 'Pandemic' 'Tide of Iron' quality of game.
I must say that this game is really very good.....BUT.....and I'll say that again.....BUT.....If you do not like long long games then this is not for you.
Poker mixed with the decisions of the real estate game is very clever. I know a lot of genres have jumped onto the bandwagon as far as Monopoly goes, What with Star Wars, The Simpsons, even American Football all have their theme catered for in the form of Monopoly.
I do like the gambling theme and the way that you not only play poker, but you use the streets that you have bought and gamble with them, as these have the first two cards called the 'hole' cards printed on them. You choose which one to gamble with and thereby you have to gamble with a street that you own. Do you gamble with a cheap one that has average hole cards on it, or an expensive one with an equally average pair of hole cards on it.
This is what makes the games last so long. I remember a number of years ago, I played a game of ordinary Monopoly and that lasted over 3 nights. Think of how long poker can be played!!
Ideal if you have a spare room that you can leave it set up in.
I really do like this game.......now if I can just find someone else to play it with.................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're playing standard Monopoly wrong if it takes that long to play. Besides, the "speed die" which is now used in the world championships makes gameplay for standard Monopoly much more strategic and interesting.

Monopoly without house rules should be brutal and only take a couple of hours. Add the speed die and it's cut in half. The time spent playing the game tends to be extended due to rule breaking house rules like money in Free Parking or personal loans from player to player.

That all said, Hold'em-opoly has nothing on the standard version except for those glorious little double-sided mini poker chips. The horde of those you get with the game make it a thrifters treasure. I picked a copy up recently for that reason.

I can see nothing that is improved upon by the rules in this game, except to add another gambling element to it which will extend the game longer than it should be. Novel, yes. Deep, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.