Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Any way to tweak this for 2P play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was in a local games shop with my girlfriend in tow, buying Arkham Horror, and I spotted Cosmic Encounter. "Woah!", I exclaimed, "I used to play that back in the 80s! It was great! I didn't know they'd rereleased it! ...ah, that takes me back..."

Yesterday we decided to have Valentine's Day early, and I opened my present from her to find Cosmic Encounter! She'd said nothing on the day, but noted my reaction and the name, and, well, awesome.

However, my current group of friends isn't much for gaming except for our semi-regular poker nights. I do have one commited gamer buddy who's been playing AH with me and is looking forward to Android and Space Hulk (2 more recent purchases lol), but CE is for 3 players and up. I can probably get my mates in for at least one game, but in case the majority hate it, I was wondering if anyone had found a tweak to make 2-player CE viable?

Eco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, search the forums and you'll find some other threads that go into this in more detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair's "More Cosmic Encounter" included a 2-player version which involved setting up for a six-player game in which four of the players were "dummy" players, so you could still have alliances, etc. I don't recall how well it worked.

Read this thread and go ahead and play with your heretofore non-gamer friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look but couldn't find any threads offering any advice. The variants forum is a bit sparse apart from all the powers by the guy who hates the French.

I'll make do, i guess. Maybe I can come up with a 2P variant.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've tried in this century is this: http://redamedia.com/warp/twoplay.php. I dunno that I'd recommend it necessarily, but it's worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers v much. This'll do just fine, I think.

Eco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if there is a viable 2-player variant for this game or does it require a fiddly dummy player/s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Just curious if there is a viable 2-player variant for this game or does it require a fiddly dummy player/s?
My favorite method is to have each human player control 2 empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.