Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this web site ... http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/ ... and managed to convince a friend to buy it, and let me borrow it.

SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD

SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD

SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD

Dont bother watching it.

Here's what you'll expect - Heroic Space Marines battling against the odds in a last stand type operation, but just about winning in the end at great cost. Your basic high action adventure movie.

Here's what you'll get -

Space Marines walking slowly through murky terrain where you can't see whats happening. Followed by Space Marines walking slowly through dark ruins where you can't see whats happening. Followed by Space Marines walking slowly through a dark space ship where you cant see whats happening. Boring!

Now don't let me mislead you. There are some action scenes but they are either set in the dark where you can't see whats happening or if you can see whats happening it's terrible.

Enough of the dialog was obscured by the "incidental" music or so BASSey only whales could hear what was being said.

The direction of this movie was poor, the writing awful and the editing seemed non existant.

Examples. One Marine starts hearing voices. Why? It's not explained or followed up. "Something" is seen or glimpsed whizzing past a few times with no explanation or follow up. These seem to have dropped in to create a mood, but in the end just leaves you empty and confused!

At one point they are ambushed by a sniper of some sort, but the director didn't see fit to show the enemy to us. The good guys return fire until something explodes. Just a boring incident, and shooting shouldn't be boring.

What about the plot? Oh dear. This was a strange choice. The enemy in this film is Chaos and/or the fear of being tainted by Chaos. Trying to explain the horror of that could have been a good plot, but the script just didn't support it. And considering this is WH40K wouldn't an action script with hordes of Space Orcs or Space Elves have presented a better opportunity for giving the fans what they want see.

I kind of got the feeling that this film was put together by committee. It didn't even seem to know who the target audiance was. The story was so thin perhaps it was designed for kids, likewise with the very poor action scenes, then again some short scenes were so explicit and bloody that they definitely weren't for kids. Confused.

Here's an example of a poor scene. Marines stand on a plain, the enemy are coming. One Marine suggests, there is high ground near by, another say "No, they'd expect that." What the hell is that supposed to be about? So this great leader thinks standing still overlooked by said high ground is a better idea? Even assuming the great leader is a traitor, why wouldn't the non traitor make a point of it, if only for the plot value. Poor scripting.

Now to the action scenes. Let me point out that even if Marines are so hard-ass that they think standing still in the open exchanging fire with an oncoming enemy is a good tactical idea, IT MAKES FOR A BAD SCENE!

My understanding is that this movie is only available in the special edition which includes a "graphic novel". It's not a novel. It's a hard back booklet, about the size of a standard DVD case. The covers are very thick card and the "novel" is about 10 pages long.

Oh that's it, I'm getting all ranty. It's time to stop. I'll never get those two hours back.

One more thing. If you want to see an animated action movie, you would be better off watching one of the Bionicle movies ( and they weren't exactly good ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From the web site
I'm still ranting
Quote:

The combined result is a visually unique and exciting movie, drawing upon the rich tradition of Warhammer 40,000 art and design to deliver a tense and action-packed journey inside the world of the 41st millennium's greatest warriors, creating a dramatic new style for serious animated pictures.

Here let me fix that for them...

Quote:

The combined result is a visually DULL and BORING movie, drawing upon the rich tradition of Warhammer 40,000 art and design to deliver a SAD and action-LESS journey inside the world of the 41st millennium's greatest warriors, creating a SLOW AND POORLY EDITED new style for serious animated pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
This news saddens me a great deal. I've tried to keep my expectations low, but I've failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally don't agree with your remarks - you're badly off with this rant, imho. Watched it with a diehard, lifelong W40k fan and we both really enjoyed it - and we definitely came into it with lowered expectations. I also liked the twist at the end, too. Very cool.

It's not supposed to necessarily be non-stop mindless action (save that for anime and other things of that ilk). This is a tense, somewhat mysterious mission to figure out what happened to the outpost.

If you want to watch non-stop action just go watch a UFC match or the A-team movie that recently came out. I wanted to watch a movie with the Space Marines that stayed faithful to the material and that's pretty much what I got to see. Really liked it, would recommend it to any W40K fan.

Sorry FH, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Sorry FH, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Where's the fun in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely a crappy movie. Uninteresting plot, uninteresting battles, uninteresting characters and "race" (I'm afraid I'm not into the Space Marines fetish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
robot Just watched it last night...it was OK. The CG animation was pretty good, the plot OK if rather standard, Abnett's dialogue pretty atrocious. At least they got some decent actors in John Hurt, Terrence Stamp and Sean Pertwee to do some voices. I'd recommend it to 40K fans or hardcore animation fans...average movie-goer, not so much. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
Yeah, definitely a crappy movie. Uninteresting plot, uninteresting battles, uninteresting characters and "race" (I'm afraid I'm not into the Space Marines fetish).

Wow, how surprising. You're not into the Adeptes Astartes so you disliked it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
I'd recommend it to 40K fans or hardcore animation fans...average movie-goer, not so much. robot

And of course that's precisely who it's targeted to, so it's very much a successful W40k movie, in that regard. I found some of the dialogue stilted, to be sure, but it was a fun viewing otherwise. Hopefully the next movie they produce is even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Wow, how surprising. You're not into the Adeptes Astartes so you disliked it. :shake:

Even when it's an adaptation of something I really like (say... Walking Dead) I still ask for quality...

Of course, opinions are opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
cabalzero wrote:
I'd recommend it to 40K fans or hardcore animation fans...average movie-goer, not so much. robot

And of course that's precisely who it's targeted to, so it's very much a successful W40k movie, in that regard. I found some of the dialogue stilted, to be sure, but it was a fun viewing otherwise. Hopefully the next movie they produce is even better.

I don't believe its a "successful" movie. It's poorly produced in every area.

Yes it might make GW some money, assuming they manage to sell enough but that still wont make it a good movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you sort of quoted me wrong to make your point. I actually said, "a successful W40K movie" - key part in bold. I also can't agree that it's poorly produced (though I was disappointed with some of the stilted scripting).

I can kind of see where you're coming from with your complaints, though, FH. I just was so happy to finally get a real W40K movie that I was able to just enjoy it for what it was (and in fairness, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as you did). I quite enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The enemy has to be Chaos, that is half the modeling budget if the good guys and bad guys look the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I didn't watch "Warhammer 1 to 39,999" either, so this ONE is yet another of which I shall "miss out"! and rightly SO! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wont watch it just on the principle that they are trying to destroy Chaos rather than embrace it, the intelligent ones know its futile to resist the Warp.

Let me know when they come out with a movie about Chaos taking over the universe.

WORLD EATERS!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS THRONE!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I didn't watch "Warhammer 1 to 39,999" either, so this ONE is yet another of which I shall "miss out"! and rightly SO! whistle

GROAN!! GROGnads, you are banned from making jokes forever. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Saw this web site ... http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/ ... and managed to convince a friend to buy it, and let me borrow it.

See, now that's a friend. Hope you bought him a beer for his trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.