BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions for my first solitaire game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have read tons of reviews, session reports, and a few very good geeklists about Victory Point games and several of their games sound very interesting. I think I am going to take the plunge and order one of thier games, but even after the research I still cant decide. If you have some time and have played a Victory Point game will you please tell me the things your really like about it and the things you dont like about it.

It can be a solitaire or 2 player game. Although Israeli Independence sounded like something I would like to start out with, after reading all the reviews and session reports on it, I think it will be too simple for my tastes and reminds me alot of a PNP game that I have about Defending the Alamo. The following games seem like they might fit into what I am looking for, Zulus on the Ramparts! and Ottoman Sunset. I know they have a ton of games in their lineup so please feel free to give me recommendations on any of your favorite VP games and why I should spend my hard earned cash on them.

Please give your recommendations on any solitaire games that you think are really good.

Thanks for your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Soviet Dawn

Works as a game and as a history lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of their solitaire games, I've played:

Nemo's War: It's fun and very different from the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series games. It's been a while since I pulled it out but I think it tends to run about an hour or two per game. You've got lots of choices and options on how you play. It has a bit of a roleplaying feel because of that (but just slightly)

Ottoman Sunset: A State of Siege game. It's fun and very historical but it felt very chaotic for me. I've played 4 or 5 games and haven't won yet. It feels like winning is more based on luck than anything else.

Levée en Masse: This is my favorite so far and also a State of Siege game. Why did I ever trade it away? When playing I found I won more often than not. Winning felt less random than with Ottomoan Sunset and seemed like my choices had more direct impact on how well I did. That may be an illusion but it worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Of their solitaire games, I've played:

Nemo's War: It's fun and very different from the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series games. It's been a while since I pulled it out but I think it tends to run about an hour or two per game. You've got lots of choices and options on how you play. It has a bit of a roleplaying feel because of that (but just slightly)

Ottoman Sunset: A State of Siege game. It's fun and very historical but it felt very chaotic for me. I've played 4 or 5 games and haven't won yet. It feels like winning is more based on luck than anything else.

Levée en Masse: This is my favorite so far and also a State of Siege game. Why did I ever trade it away? When playing I found I won more often than not. Winning felt less random than with Ottomoan Sunset and seemed like my choices had more direct impact on how well I did. That may be an illusion but it worked for me.

Thanks Albert, I am certainly looking for a game that allows my choices to have lots of impact on the outcome. I realize that the majority of games have some luck with maybe the exception of Chess but I dont like it when LUCK decides the outcome fo the majority of the games. I read about Nemo and Mt. Everest and they both seem interesting. Can Nemo be played with 2 players or is it strictly solitaire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Soviet Dawn

Works as a game and as a history lesson.

I am not very familiar at all with the Russian Revolution so this game would be a good history lesson for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Can Nemo be played with 2 players or is it strictly solitaire?

Nemo's War is designed strictly as a solitaire game. You could in theory play cooperatively by taking turns playing a round as Nemo. I don't think I'd enjoy that, but someone has recommended it as a viable option.

I think you could possibly make a 2-player variant in which someone controls the forces trying to capture. In the game, each turn you draw one card. You could instead have the non-Nemo player have a hand of 3 cards and each turn choose which one to play. He could also control the enemy ships. That might complicate things though, because the enemy ships don't actually move. This just sit in an ocean waiting for Nemo to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden S.
msg tools
Onirim is fun and affordable solitaire style card game. Maybe not as full length as you want, but it might make a good filler to accompany one of the other games you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.