Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was getting late on Saturday evening, and we had a few relatively new gamers sitting around wondering what to do. Rich and I had just finished a game of Loyang, and we had about an hour or so. What game should we play? The answer was obvious: World of Warcraft: The Board Game!

Unfortunately, (a) I didn't have the game with me, (b) it doesn't support 7 players and (c) I think Rich and Josh would have throttled me if I suggested it. So, instead I happily got out 7 Wonders and invited everyone to play.

As this was the first game for five players (Josh, Chris, Ben, Lachlan and Popey), the middle three of whom I'd never met before, I expected that I'd probably win with an excess of Science cards. I was right - I did - but everyone enjoyed the game and they learnt some valuable lessons about resources, planning ahead, and not letting one player hog the lion's share of the Science cards.

In particular, Ben learnt that if he didn't have stone, then he couldn't count on his neighbours to have stone: towards the end of the game, this was really hurting him as so many cards required stone. He'd gone with an early military strategy, and also played two early gold-gaining cards, which meant his points came from military and coins and nothing else. (23 points = 12 military, 9 coins, 1 merchant, 1 science). He'd made a lot of paper, but nothing came of it. Temple of Artemis.

On my other side, Josh learnt that military-alone cannot guarantee victory. To be fair, he did get more points from other sources than Ben did, but when I saw him building his military to higher and higher levels when Rich and I (his neighbours) had abandoned it, I knew that his score would be poor. It was. (29 points = 17 military, 2 coins, 3 wonders, 6 civil, 1 merchant) Statue of Zeus.

Meanwhile, Lachlan played a much more balanced game, with points from every area save science. He benefited from some of the coins that Ben was handing him. His building of the second stage of the Colossus was enough to give him a nice military superiority through the second and third ages, and - though he didn't take any science cards - his score was my closest rival. (48 points = 12 military, 6 coins, 10 wonders, 9 civil, 4 merchant, 7 guilds). Colossus of Rhodes

My tableau in front, then going clockwise: Ben, Lachlan, Chris, Popey, Rich and Josh - with Ben and Josh themselves being out of shot.

Next around the table we had Chris, who was the closest to a science strategy, picking up three matching science cards and completing the second stage of the Hanging Gardens to get a fourth matching symbol. Apart from this, he had good resources, guilds to get points from those resources, and points from basically everywhere - a nice balanced game that gave him a respectable score. (46 points = -4 military, 5 coins, 10 wonder, 7 civil, 4 merchant, 8 guilds, 16 science).

At the far end of the table from me was Popey, who was greatly enjoying the game. Upon finding that both Rich and Chris had built military in the first age, and thus invaded his borders, he swore revenge and built up his military just enough to take out Chris in the following ages and hold off Rich to some extent. Meanwhile, he attempted the balanced (Agricola) strategy of a little bit of everything (except, apparently, science). He scored the majority of his points through the civil cards, but didn't touch his wonder - the Pyramids - much. In the end, he had a respectable score and came third. (47 points = 8 military, 3 coins, 3 wonders, 21 civil, 8 merchant, 4 guilds) Pyramids of Giza

Rich was the one other player who had played the game before, although not really that much - perhaps one or two games compared to my twenty! His military rise was somewhat inconsistent: Josh was consistently pummelling him and he was mostly pummelling Popey in return (I like to think that he held the gates open and just let Josh through his land to reach Popey's!) Rich attempted a Science strategy, but he wasn't quite able to get it working, with Chris having drafted a bunch of cards away from him. Like Popey, he got quite a few civil points, but wasn't able to pick up a good guild for further point-scoring. (40 points = 3 military, 2 gold, 3 pyramids, 19 civil, 13 science). Lighthouse of Alexandria

As for myself: I scored the bulk of my points through science cards. A lot of science cards: two threesomes and one foursome giving me a nice 55 points. Otherwise, my civil cards countered my military losses, and the Mausoleum second stage - built as my final action - gave me the third set of science cards I needed. I had good resources and - through the forum - the symbols I needed for those science cards. (61 points = -6 military, 1 coin, 3 civil, 55 science). Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

This was a typical game with an experienced player with new players: science gives a lot of points - a lesson we learnt with Nash back several games ago. In future games, they'll be more wary of the science chains, and the games will be more competitive. Even so, we all had a very good time, and it's a game that will likely be played again by these players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another excellent session report Merric - I've read and been enlightened by a number of your offerings before - thanks for that .

I have just completed 2 sessions (my seventh/eighth) with 3 new players making for a 4 player session the others being a mix of 3/5 .

Everyone has enjoyed it so far but I look forward to trying it with 7 to see how things pan out ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce V
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised I have GG to throw around on frivolous stuff like this.
mbmbmbmbmb
You blinded them.... with science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid the price for not playing enough resource cards early on as I usually tend to do. Bad game by my standards, I usually average higher 40s and into the 50s in scoring.

Don't be so sure of a runaway victory next time my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.