Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah had a copy of New World with her on Friday afternoon, so, before I headed off to my D&D session, I inveigled her and Daniel to play a game of it with me. It wasn't that difficult, it must be said.

So, off we went to the new world, with Sarah starting (and quickly finishing one of the starting cities for 6 points). From there, things quickly degenerated for Daniel and Sarah.

You see, Daniel put down a hunter in one of the meadows which had a modicum - perhaps 8 - animals in it already. Sarah couldn't let this pass, and arranged for one of her workers to join the field. Daniel put down another hunter, Sarah put down another hunter. Finally, Daniel entered a third hunter into the meadow, and things rested there.

You only get five meeples each in this game: that was a lot of workers already committed to one meadow.

Meanwhile, I was doing my best to get maximum points for completing features where the surveyors were, or otherwise moving them to disrupt Daniel and Sarah's placements. This was working pretty well for me, and soon I shot to the lead. Then I extended the lead, and a bit more.

Sarah bemoaned her awful tiles - and, indeed, there were times the game really worked against her. Both Sarah and I had adjacent farms, you see, with mine just slightly advanced down the board further westward. One tile would complete both, but Sarah couldn't draw it. Instead, the turn after both surveyors moved onto my row (and Sarah's farmer went home in disgust, or was killed by the plague or something), I drew that tile and scored a nice 17 points. That was my game and Sarah's game in a nutshell.

Towards the end of the game I actually placed a few hunters, which ended up scoring me about 9 points in all.

The meadow that Daniel ended up scoring with his three hunters against Sarah's two? It was worth 17 points. Not that great an investment when you came down to it.

Neither Daniel nor Sarah were able to game the surveyors like I did: they got some points from them, surely, but I kept a steady stream of such points coming, which is why I was able to lap them on the scoring board.

The final scores were about Merric 142, Daniel 72 and Sarah 68. The surveyor use had been decisive, and the great hunting debacle not so... well, they'd probably prefer to forget all about it. That's the way of New World: it has a couple of very swingy mechanics, especially if you're unfamiliar with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.