Subject: ICE Day Lucre Extravaganza rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six of us got together tonight to play three awesome games of Cosmic. The first was just to get familiar with some of the new aliens in Cosmic Conflict.

In that first game, we had:

Xenophile
Warhawk
Industrialist
Prophet
Saboteur
Visionary

Everyone likes Xenophile the best, because it seems to give you more options. You don't lose your power, so you can play low cards on defense knowing you're building strength for later in the game.

The changes to Industrialist are good. It's a stronger version than the Mayfair one, though in our game, it took awhile for him to actually use his power.

Saboteur was disappointed that no bombs ever went off. I'm wondering if we need to house rule ways for him to get more traps.

The second and third games were heavy with the lucre, and we used home made versions of the asteroids from The Warp.

It was a very big hit. Everyone loved the new lucre rules so much in the first game that they insisted on using them in the third game.

We played that you could land on an asteroid associated with a planet if you won on offense (main player only). Then on the next regroup, you collected some lucre (and could only spend it on whatever icons were on the asteroid). Lucre was hard to get, and worth a heck of a lot more. I very much hope to see some kind of lucre implementation in the next expansion. I've been pretty ambivalent about it in the past, but this was easy to remember and use, and did add a bit to the game.

At one point, players were attacking each other's asteroids, because they wanted the income.

I'm glad we got to play today, especially with the new expansion. We probably also ended up playing with about half of the Incursion aliens in the last game because we used the Pentaform variant for each player.

I have the following aliens in the following order:

0 foreign: Ghoul
1 foreign: Cavalry
2 foreign: Relic
3 foreign: Siren
4 foreign: Leviathan

I wasn't sure where to put Relic in the mix, so I stuck it in the middle, and it turned out to be a great move. At that point in the game, I'd occupied both asteroids that let you buy cards, so no one could add anything to their hands. That was about when most players were needing to draw, and my friend Mark ended up needing a new hand on his turn giving me a colony. His destiny draw was a system where I had a colony, so I used Siren to get him to attack me. I spent a lot of lucre that turn to get a card that could beat his new hand and it ended up being the 30. It's a great feeling to win big on defense when you can get something for it.

Two turns later it was my turn, and as Leviathan, the defense was in trouble. I brought the worldship in with the plus 20 and got the solo win. So lucre played a big part of my win strategy for the game. The others were able to spend some on their totals or to get ships out, which was nice as Warpish was in play for several encounter. In the end though, I was at 5 colonies and the next player was at three.

I truly hope to see yet another expansion out and on my table next year for International CE day. This was a blast. (I need to make some Cosmic Stars for our next big session).

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! But I've never heard of that pentaform variant. How does that work, or is there a link to how it works? It sounds like you change your power every time you gain a foreign colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Great report! But I've never heard of that pentaform variant. How does that work, or is there a link to how it works? It sounds like you change your power every time you gain a foreign colony.

Every player is dealt 5 aliens, and you stack them in any order you like. The first alien you have is only used for when you have zero foreign colonies. The moment you gain your first colony, you rotate to the next alien in your stack, etc.

You can also play blind stacks, meaning you don't know what aliens are in your stack, and just play what you get when you gain a colony. Obviously aliens with Game Setup are not included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, that sounds awesome! I assume you just ignore flares? Or pick two for the aliens you got dealt, and then shuffle them in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
Every player is dealt 5 aliens, and you stack them in any order you like. The first alien you have is only used for when you have zero foreign colonies. The moment you gain your first colony, you rotate to the next alien in your stack, etc.

Just to clarify, is only one power active at a time based on the number of foreign colonies? Once I go from 1 to 2, do I lose the power I gained for having 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one power active at any one time. If you lose a foreign colony, you revert to the last power you had.

We always shuffled in a random assortment of flares.

The method that I am looking forward to using now, and with 90 aliens I think we can manage it:

Every player makes a list of 5 aliens they want, and 5 aliens that no one can have. You reveal lists and cross stuff off of your want list if it appears on someone else's no-can-have list. Whatever you and up with is what you play with. Some players may have as many as 5 aliens if they choose wisely, and some may only have 1. If you get 0, you draw at random from those that no one listed at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if an alien is not on anyone's NO list, but is on multiple people's WANT list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Then nobody gets it. Being on any list other than your own want-list means you don't get it. Some call this the "Boggle method" (but we don't play Boggle so I think of it as the "Scattergories method").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle the issue of broken combos? A big list somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys ever try drafting alien powers and letting people set the order of their 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.