Hide
10 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hiram Witkop
msg tools
Thinking of getting Big Box 3 and I was wonding, why is this game best with 2 Players? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
it plays faster and the choices are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
because the moves of each player are directly followed by the other player, which means all the best bits of the game, crafty blocking of features, sneaking into other peoples areas are a direct back and forth, rather than having a player in the middle confusing the to and fro, though 3 players I think works well, just in a different and not quite so appealing way

I'd agree completely-a two player game of Carcassonne is excellent competitive game when played between experienced players. Equally, many people enjoy a 3 (or even more) player game of Carcassonne but I definitely agree that competitive 2 player is the best. It can get very, very brutal at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two player game of Carcassonne, taking points away from your opponent is just as good as scoring those points yourself (either way, the point gap is the same). In games with more players, then taking points away from an opponent doesn't help you beat the other players. Thus, the focus tends to be on scoring points yourself in larger games.

This means that a much wider variety of moves are viable in two player games (a piece that is no good to you can usually be placed to inconvenience your opponent, and even a piece that can score you a couple of points might be better used to try and trap an opposing meeple in an uncompleteable feature). The game becomes very tactical, and at least in my opinion, is extremely good.

Examples:

- In large games, you want to share majority in completing features, but don't really mind about pushing out another player. In two player games, you want to share majority, but pushing the other guy out is even better.
- In large games, spending a turn or three to trap an enemy meeple is seldom worthwhile due both to having more opponents, and having fewer turns. In two player games, if your opponent has two or three farmers, and two or three meeples trapped in features which cannot be completed (know which patterns these are - it's very useful), then their ability to score points in the last third or so of the game is severely impeded, while you can pick up points here and there, and probably also take over the farms.

Carcassonne is still a good game with more than two players, I just feel that is excels with two.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PenumbraPenguin wrote:
In a two player game of Carcassonne, taking points away from your opponent is just as good as scoring those points yourself (either way, the point gap is the same). In games with more players, then taking points away from an opponent doesn't help you beat the other players. Thus, the focus tends to be on scoring points yourself in larger games.

This doesn't make any sense. In a 2-player game, if you both have the same number of meeples in a city, you both get points. If you steal the city, then you get all the points.

In a 3-plus player game, if two people share a city, at least one poor soul gets left in the dust. If you steal it then everyone gets left in the dust.

Stealing/sharing is MORE effective in larger games, because you do less work to score more points. You have less tiles overall, so putting them to the most effective use possible is the only way to win. Just share with everyone, not just the same person every time, that way you pull ahead of everyone and don't take one player with you to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't quite mean it that way. In two player games, if I can stop my opponent from getting 10 points, or get 10 points myself, those are totally equivalent. In a larger game, if I can stop one of my opponents from getting 10 points, or get 10 points myself, then the latter is much much better.

Getting a single meeple into someone else's feature will score points for you, so this is good in either size of game. Getting another in is preventing the other guy from getting points, so that's more effective in smaller games.

In a large game, it's very important to get the first meeple into a large feature, but much less so to get the second. As I said earlier, it is much less worthwhile to place tiles offensively. The combination of these mean that there are a lot of things that you want to do with your tiles, which is why the two player game is so good, in my opinion.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this game with from 2 to max players and I love 2 players 3 is good as well 4 or more tends to slow it down too much for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
You have far more control over the board with two players.

In a two player game, you lay down half the tiles 50%. In a three player game you lay down one third of the tiles 33.33~%. Which means you control 17% less of the board, and this means you have far more opportunity to actually play the game with two players.

Also, much less down time with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
frumpish wrote:
You have far more control over the board with two players.

Checkers and Chess and Reversi/Othello are great 2-player games.
Carc is a great multi-player game precisely because it is *not* chess or checkers. You need to figure out how to do better than the others when you *can't* play half the tiles. And with 2 players, you have to score far more points than when you divide the board points up 3-6 ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.