United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you cannot select AV-8B Harrier IIs while using this option, does this mean you can choose any aircraft that would be available for a Navy Campaign of the time period?

This is not stated, but otherwise, unless you are flying the 2014 campaign (in which the Marine Corp can also choose from the 4 available F-35B/C Lightning IIs), there are no aircraft available!

EDIT: I just saw this from Dan in another thread:
"There is also an option to fly Marine aircraft from large deck carriers. In this situation, you get to fly all the aircraft except Harriers."
So that question is answered.

------

Another question:
About the F-35B/C Special Rules:
"Roll a die for Stealth for Site and Bandit Attacks while an F-35B/C is Over Target..."
This only applies when being attacked at a range of 0, correct ("or when reacting to a Special Event Attack when weapon counters can be expended to reduce the number of Special Event Attacks")?
Because otherwise the F-35B/Cs are ignored.

------
A comment:
If flying a Marine Campaign using AV-8Bs, you will get 12 SO points for every AV-8B in your squadron, possibly up to 144 extra points. Even in the Iran 2014 campaign, if you take the maximum available F-35B/Cs, deducting SO for them, in a Long campaign, you will still get 60 extra SO points. I'm just about to start a Marine Campaign, and the amount of SO points really surprised me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
About the F-35B/C Special Rules:
"Roll a die for Stealth for Site and Bandit Attacks while an F-35B/C is Over Target..."
This only applies when being attacked at a range of 0, correct ("or when reacting to a Special Event Attack when weapon counters can be expended to reduce the number of Special Event Attacks")?
Because otherwise the F-35B/Cs are ignored.

Thanks Judy, you seem to ask a lot of the questions I've been wondering about. I've come to the conclusion that the interpretation you suggest is the intended one (stealth means no attacks from sites or bandits at range 1+, and a 7+ to ignore Range 0 attacks). (And I agree that just a little more clarification -- a few sentences here and there -- in the rules would have helped clear a lot of these questions up...)

As for the tons of SO points you get in Marine campaigns by taking Av-8B's (e.g. 12 for a long campaign): yeah, it seems like a lot. But I've played through a few Marine campaigns now; they play quite differently from Navy... I've really come to love the versatile little Harriers and the challenge presented by their limited ordnance capacity (and weapon choice). No Harms, need to pay SOs for AtA missiles with range greater than 1... but Nap of the Earth saves you more times than you'd ever believe. That said, my Marine campaigns have been way bloodier (more pilots shot down) than my Navy campaigns.
So what do you do with all your SOs? Well, given that almost all the targets you'll see will be in the first two range bands, tanker priority can sometimes be skipped.. but with such a low WP capacity on the Harrier, sometimes you'll want to take refueling even for -1 WP areas. I take a few AIM-120s in almost every mission. And your marine aviators tend to accumulate stress a lot faster than Navy pilots: you can't clear the board of site threats like the Navy can, so you come in low, and accept the stress of constantly evading ground fire and almost getting shot down until you can drop cluster bombs on the sites, or better yet ignore them completely. So... you'll be paying for a lot of R&R to keep your squadron flight-ready. I find that I spend almost no SOs on special ordnance other than AIM-120's. Sure, the paveways have a higher damage per WP than iron bombs, but you have to go to high altitude and lose your Nap of the Earth protection to use them. Some of the targets that require a ton of damage will require you to take this option, just because you can't carry enough dumb bombs to cause enough damage.
Anyway, enjoy! I'll kep an eye out for a session report if you post one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Hampton
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I didn't think AV-8B's could carry Aim-120's even at the expense of SO's. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.