Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of 6 player Chicago Express recently and I came upon this powerful combination. Of the 5 other players that were playing, 3 of them had just received a share in red. Despite the other shares they had, all three powered red through Chicago. It paid out and gave massive bonuses to the owners.

The end result was that these owners had massive money leads at the end, while the other three players such as myself ended up takeing 4th-6th in terms of funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 1-1-1 Red Strategy
I advise against such a strategy in a 3-player game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Makes sense in a 4-6 player game. Make sure they pay through the nose for the privilege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation is interesting in a four player game. With four red is far more likely to die in the woods than power into Chicago. Actually, it is uncommon for any RR make Chicago. There is usually one player willing to sabotage for the smallest difference in payouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I snag the last Red share and pay a lot for it, I"m expecting the purchaser of shares #1 and #2 to drive it much more than I will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
If I snag the last Red share and pay a lot for it, I"m expecting the purchaser of shares #1 and #2 to drive it much more than I will.

Why is that? You need to recover more of your equity than others. I might also rather see the C&O, which I hold a majority of stock in, to reach Chicago first, so I might want to use PRR to cut off NYC.

I say, one of those 3 players got the better deal out of that drive to Chicago and the 2 other players shouldn't have been so quick to reward him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Key to good play is recognizing that shares do not need to pay for themselves out of dividends. Shares need to pay for themselves out of the changes their ownership causes in the dividends paid to all players across all companies for the rest of the game after their purchase. A given highly profitable share might never pay for itself from its own dividends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, it was a six player game and each of the shares given out was priced at about 15. P1 had red, P2 had none, P3 had green, P3 (Me) had yellow, P5 had none and P6 had blue. This was the initial share distribution.

In the first round, everyone built their respective trains. P2 decided to auction red. P5 obtained it for about 15 as well. P5 then (to spite me), auctions off yellow, which P2 obtained for 6.

The next round, we played again, but a further yellow was auctioned off by P6 which was then obtained by P5, which further diluted my shares. At a future round, a fourth yellow was auctioned which was nabbed by me for 14.

In the end, P1 and P2 tied the game about 50+, while I came in last at about 12. P5's spiteful play had caused me frustration as his goal is always to beat me and the fact that I had paid a great deal more than the other players for a share of yellow.

P1, P2 and P5 all had share in red, which they pushed. I did not know what incentive they had to not push red. The other players did not collaborate against the red train. I could not drive my train to block as nobody would push yellow with me. The Erie was obtained by P3 for 13, but could not make it to New York and the entire game was simply purchased and filled with stock using forest developments.

I suppose I need a kind of strategic advice that would be effective in thwarting a player that is absolutely out to get you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Until you are all skilled with the game, do not play with more than 4 players. If the first three actions taken in nearly every round aren't to Capitalise, then you aren't there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
blueatheart wrote:

Why is that? You need to recover more of your equity than others. I might also rather see the C&O, which I hold a majority of stock in, to reach Chicago first, so I might want to use PRR to cut off NYC.

I say, one of those 3 players got the better deal out of that drive to Chicago and the 2 other players shouldn't have been so quick to reward him.

The contrapositive of my statement is if I don't expect the purchasers of shares #1 and #2 to drive it much more than I will, I will not buy into the PRR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Until you are all skilled with the game, do not play with more than 4 players. If the first three actions taken in nearly every round aren't to Capitalise, then you aren't there yet.
So you are implying that a solution cannot be reached when players play in a chaotic way? I think that this is not entirely true as the players who got first and second respectively probably did something that benefited from how the game played out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes. Chicago Express is more a game which is lost through other players than won through your own choices. You are not in control of your own fate. You are only in control of the temptations that you dangle in front of other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.