Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys. I'm new to the game. Purchased it last week, and been having a blast playing it with my brother.It's fantastic Only a few issues I'm struggling with:

1) Does the bonus for the settle action(drawing one card) take effect only after placing a gray world and a regular military world, or does it affect the placement of any world(including windfall, rebel and production worlds?)

2) During setup, how does one separate all the victory chips for a 2-player game? The wording is kind of confusing.How many VP chips should be in the pool? A total of 24 in fives and ones? Why the separation between the different denominations of chips?

3) What's the best expansion for two players who would like a bigger variety of cards and strategies?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. any world as long as you played the Settle Action Card

2. 12 VPs x # of players. Forget the 10s. Use the 5s and 1s in a two player game. (I assume they have different denominations to save a few cents on printing costs)

3. play with everything if you want the biggest variety. you can always decide not to play with takeovers, goals, and possibly even prestige if you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
1) Does the bonus for the settle action(drawing one card) take effect only after placing a gray world and a regular military world, or does it affect the placement of any world(including windfall, rebel and production worlds?)

Any world. What are you seeing that suggests it applies to only some worlds?

magmaxtic wrote:
2) During setup, how does one separate all the victory chips for a 2-player game? The wording is kind of confusing.How many VP chips should be in the pool? A total of 24 in fives and ones?

Put 24 VPs in the pool. When the pool runs out, the game will end that turn, but you still collect more chips from the chips not in the pool.

magmaxtic wrote:
Why the separation between the different denominations of chips?

Because 80 chips worth 1 VP each would be a lot of chips.

magmaxtic wrote:
3) What's the best expansion for two players who would like a bigger variety of cards and strategies?

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. You've helped a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, with 3 I didn't mean to imply there aren't many cards already; it's just that at times the same card combos come up. I guess it has more to do with our shuffling.

I'm more familiar with games that have enough cards and tokens to flood an entire room(or Ameritrash, to be laconic. Arkham Horror, anyone?), and you need shovels for hands to properly shuffle those decks without splitting them.

Still, RtfG rules, it's intuitive, interesting and fun. Not to mention,short. Brevity is often a virtue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Any world

2) 12 chips/person, across a denomination grouping that you don't need to worry much about making change.

2 players: 24 value in chips with at least 8 one-vp chips
: 24-8=16, so you need at least 9 ones.
3 players: 36 value in chips with at least 12 one-vp chips
: 36-12=24, so you need at least 16 ones.
4 players: 48 value in chips with at least 16 one-vp chips
: 48-16=32, so you need at least 18 ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your expansion question, if you love the base game you should go with the expansions. Most folks recommend going in the order they were released. But heck, get them all at once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the chip question isn't intuitive to everyone. Basically, you just need to get the total right. They are interchangeable. It is just easier to work with combos of 1's and 5's than 10's. But if you have VP chips from other games there is no reason why you couldn't add denominations of 2's and 3's as well as long as the total is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only looking to get one expansion, I'd definitely go with the first one (The Gathering Storm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I checked the local store, and they only have the 2nd and 3rd expansions in stock. Gonna go with the 2nd for now, since the latest expansion, from what I've gathered, requires the first two.

I'll get them all anyway, sooner or later.:D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GG tip for accurate thread title!

(I hate it when every second thread in the Rules forum are titled "Rule question" and "Please help".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More RftG players in Israel = YAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the suggestions, folks. I bought the 2nd and 3rd expansions from a local store. Waiting for the 1st one to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.