Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When an Emperor's wall borders a region that has Death, can you place rats on the other side of the wall? We said yes because the rats aren't moving from one region to the next (per the rule for the nuns), they're spawning.

Some players thought the rats come FROM Death to move to the adjacent region and would be prevented by the wall. Who's right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Åse and Henrik Berg
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rats can NOT spread across an Emperor's wall.

We agree that this is maybe a little unclear in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
aseoghenrik wrote:
The rats can NOT spread across an Emperor's wall.

We agree that this is maybe a little unclear in the rules.

My rules state (on page 3, under the section describing the Emporer):
"Nothing can be moved across a border blocked by a wall piece, that is, neither rats, cubes, nor the Plague Piece may cross this border..." (emphasis mine)
I'm really not sure what's unclear about that? You guys did fine in my version of the rules (and IMO.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my example, the rats are NOT moving ACROSS the wall...they are being placed on the board for the first time..."spawning" if you will. It was unclear if rats appearing from thin air constituted moving across the wall. The rule you quoted could be interpreted to only cover existing rats moving from one region to another, thereby crossing the wall. The designer has generously clarified but the original rule was not clear, by his own admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.
I can appreciate the difference.
I had a different mental image--not rats spawning from thin air--so I didn't see the rule as unclear or as a source of confusion. I can see your point, I guess, though to me it's obscure. And you are right, as a result we have a clarification in place in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a situation where two of us saw rats spawning from thin air and two of us saw rats moving out from Death, so we weren't sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this stuff. (Figuring out how people think differently from me.) It's fascinating isn't it? Great stuff, Erin, I really appreciate you fleshing out the scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we got this wrong too, we also envision the rats as "teleporting in" or "spawning" when they come from the Plague Marker, so we thought the wall couldn't stop them.

Good to know the real rules, as this makes the Emperor a much stronger card (we also played that he can only move/place one wall at a time, which I'm finding is also wrong, so in our game he was a really weak character.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When explaining the Walls to new players, I just say that the regions separated by a wall are not considered adjacent for any purpose. That covers all the cases quite nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
When explaining the Walls to new players, I just say that the regions separated by a wall are not considered adjacent for any purpose. That covers all the cases quite nicely.

Or you could say (slamming a palm on the table), "It's just like the King's region in El Grande!!"

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Rulemonger wrote:

Or you could say (slamming a palm on the table), "It's just like the King's region in El Grande!!"

devil

Just be careful not to slap that palm too violently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmf1bau9xQ&t=23m7s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, but how do you handle a walled in Death?

We had this situation yesterday and weren't sure how to handle this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Well, but how do you handle a walled in Death?

We had this situation yesterday and weren't sure how to handle this...

This was addressed by the designers in a different thread (basically, they say you are not allowed to "wall-in Death"):

Since you are obliged to move the plague piece on your turn, you are not allowed to put yourself in a situation in which moving the plague piece is impossible. Therefore you cannot block the plague piece in this situation.

Re: Emperor - Wall Placement Clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.