Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did an inventory on my original copy and found I'm missing 3 pieces (a dell spaceport, a 9B good, and a chicle liquor demand). However, I have neither the time nor the ability to make my own based on the very cool Dathkadan version that people appear to be using. Is anyone considering making these for others? If you are let me know what the cost would be and we can talk. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is making games for others and this is on his list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47270/item/1513483#ite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand wanting to find someone making it for a bit cheaper. I know that Andrew with Print & Play Productions is making it for a very fair price considering the time and materials needed, but I could buy the original for around $100.

If someone were selling the redesign for $60, I would probably need to jump on that. But I'll probably just set aside a little money until I can afford the original. Love that cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Impr3ssion wrote:
I understand wanting to find someone making it for a bit cheaper.

It's not about cheaper, it's about better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I just did an inventory on my original copy and found I'm missing 3 pieces (a dell spaceport, a 9B good, and a chicle liquor demand). However, I have neither the time nor the ability to make my own based on the very cool Dathkadan version that people appear to be using. Is anyone considering making these for others? If you are let me know what the cost would be and we can talk. Thanks.

I am going to be making my own set in the coming month or so. I will be using bingo chips. For the ink, paper and chip costs, I can send you an extra set and you can put it together.

I am not really keen on applying 1000 stickers for free, though, and my labor cost would likely be pretty freaking expensive. You can do that on your own, or you can pay Andrew to do it. His prices ($35 more for stickering) are unbelievable given the hand application of all the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I just did an inventory on my original copy and found I'm missing 3 pieces (a dell spaceport, a 9B good, and a chicle liquor demand).

Major bummer. Andrew could replace your pieces for you for cheaper, I should think. Fortunately, none of these are secret chits (like the taters and IOUs), so it wouldn't matter if the match wasn't 100% perfect. I've bought counters from Andrew before, and they're a steal at $4-5 per sheet. At least then you'd be able to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah. And while I like the original look and stuff, the Print and Play version referenced earlier seems like it would hold up to time better. While I'm only missing 3 "chips", a number of them are also starting to come apart, though from the pictures you'd need a lot bigger container to mix the demand/fares/goods chips versus the small plastic cup I used to use.

I just think my wife would shoot me if she found out I spend $165 on any board game, no matter how good it is.

Edit: Any opinion on which is "better", the original or the Print and Play version? I might be able to get either, but the p&P would be costlier and likely hold up better. Also, if you like the P&P better, would you pick the wood chips or the plastic bingo chips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've made three complete sets of the redesign already (one for me, one for my brother, and one for a friend, which I used in a trade to acquire his copy of Big Boss). I made two at the same time at first -- one with wood discs and the other with bingo chips and let my friend choose which ones he wanted. He chose the wood, and I'm very glad because I've come to really prefer the bingo chips. They are cheaper and easier to use, I was able to color-coordinate everything easily (i.e. without painting/dying/etc.) and I think they look cooler.

I've still got a bunch of extra bingo chips and I think I even have an extra map printed up. I've thought about making more copies of the game to sell here on the marketplace, but I would definitely have to charge more than Andrew does... (... and I'm not necessarily excited about going through all that time and effort again!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:
If someone were selling the redesign for $60, I would probably need to jump on that.

If you find someone willing to do that, let me know.

I just started my build yesterday and my estimated costs are going to be about $65 (but part of that cost is buying a pack of full-sheet labels and I will only use about half the pack).

I am including the costs of bingo chips, having the map made in one piece and laminated, and other printing/laminating costs.

I don't include labor costs since making my own copy is a form of relaxation. Making someone else's copy would be real work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably spent over 100 on the supplies for my remake...but then I went with wood for the tokens and I am mounting the ship boards to give them a feel similar to the player boards for Merchants and Marauders. Additionally the ink cost was quite a hit too....but the game is coming together nicely and I've really enjoyed the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
I probably spent over 100 on the supplies for my remake...

Making games yourself is almost never cheaper than buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Yoren wrote:

Agreed, and while I don't believe I'll do something like this very often I do have to say its been rewarding in ways that buying a board game isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Yoren wrote:

Although in this case, you are getting materials that blow the original out of the water. Add in the fact that it will be almost impossible to get a mint condition copy for $100 and this may be an exception (or very close to it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:
but I could buy the original for around $100.

Obviously each person's time and money requirements as well as their version preferences are individual for them but for $100, you could get the basic set and all you would have to do is apply the stickers.

IMHO, the resulting set would be far superior to the original. Of course time = money.

Additionally, Andrew just closed down a deal whereby you could get a 20% discount on the Deluxe set which would brought the cost down to $132.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the 20% off just on the Deluxe version or on any of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know its not the solution the original poster wanted, but I could make replacements for his original missing tiles?

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually for now that's exactly what I'm doing. I found some chipboard and I was able to scan all the pieces that need replaced/fixed except the relic shield (the front is bad so scanning it won't help, so I may have to make it up myself. Then I'll print it on label paper and hope it works.

I still plan on getting the re-design at some point though.

Thanks for the offer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the newer design then you could sell your old one to make up for the cost.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copy from Andrew. From all the pictures and reviews it won't disappoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.