Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, another entry for the contest, if I can get it all together. The concept here is a tile-laying race game. The idea is that players add track as they go, so (unlike Formula D) there is strategy in creating the track as well as negotiating it.

As I began playing with this, it also struck me that there could be more to a race game than simply crossing the finish line first. So I added several components that I hope will enhance the play value of the game.

For one, players determine, by the color of the tiles they lay, the overall point value of the race. Laying a red tile after a red will increase race value a lot (thus favoring players already ahead), while laying a tile of a color far from red (like green) adds no value.

That means there must be ways of scoring points other than finishing first. So, in addition, players will also set out to collect "charms"of six types. ("Charms"? I haven't figured out a rationale for this, or much else in the game, preferring instead to focus on play value.) At the end of the race, sets of charms are also worth points. It might therefore be possible to finish last in the race, but to have collected sufficient charms to nonetheless win. One way to collect charms is simply to run over them on the track (they always appear in the slowest lanes). But another is to lay a tile such that a charm on it matches a charm on an already played tile. This, I hope, will add another layer of strategy to tile-laying, and will also create incentive for the track to turn back on itself, and therefore not sprawl all over the table.

Of course, the cars themselves come with different abilities. Some are slower (two spaces per move) but have all kinds of special abilities (for maneuver or attacking other cars), while others are fast but have fewer abilities.

For a draft of cardtiles and extras, follow the link below. I haven't created the curved track yet -- that's coming, as are rules.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

Well, that's a quick rundown. So whaddaya think? As ever, I would love any thoughts or comments.

Edit: Images added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm sounds interesting, but charms is a strange thing to call them in a racing game, how about trophies or cup or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, that's just the generic in my head. i have no idea how to rationalize a theme. but theme isn't worth much without good game play, so that comes first.

yea, let me consider "trophies"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To move from "non-theme" to "pasted-on theme" you could change "charms" to be "product endorsements".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brilliant! makes much sense.

but for the contest i can't see myself redesigning the graphics to include actual products. but maybe some game company would be attracted by the possibilities for product placement. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:
for the contest i can't see myself redesigning the graphics to include actual products.

You could just include spoofed or generic products. Or maybe just call them product placements, but represent them visually with wads of cash...since that's what they are really about anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
righto. the symbols are just logos for fictive companies or interests. thanks, Kevin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
must withdraw this entry from the competition. i love the design, and will work on it more. but for the contest i think i'll focus my energy on my other design: "plantation."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.