Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I once owned all the core modules, a couple of others, and sold them all after virtually never playing them. It was good, it paid the rent for a couple of months and I would not have played them over these intervening years.

However, I've now played a little bit of SK1 PBEM. Ouch, how big was the bug that just bit me?!? wow

So here's the first question about (shake) getting into this all over again. If I collect SK 1, SK 2 and SK 3, how complete will my total rules collection be? How much more will be inside of the 2nd Edition rules? I see that I can buy those rules now for a not terribly unreasonable price. But, then I won't have the little bitty playing pieces will I?

So, really, if I get the SK's, do I then have most of the rules? Considering that almost all of my playing of this game will be via email, would I be better off biting the bullet on the rules, and adding modules as I'm able?

Oh, that's a couple of questions, right? Don't worry, I'm sure more will follow.

As an aside, when using the trade machine, I can't differentiate which edition folks have up for trade, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if there's a way to do that, other than Geekmailing each individual person? Some folks comment which edition they have, but not most.

Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be interested in these articles.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/80764/the-next-step-the-...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90767/the-next-step-part...

Starter Kits are like ASL lite with a lot of stuff removed to make it more approachable. They still are very enjoyable games, and still feels likes ASL though. You might be thinking that Starter Kits "build up" towards the full rules module by module by adding complexity here and there but that's not the case. The infantry rules are just as simple in SK3 as they are in SK1, only SK2 introduces Guns and SK3 introduces Tanks.

I'd buy SK1 and try it out first and then decide if I wanted more. Wait, that's exactly what I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Just keep playing as long as it is fun. The SK1,2,3 journey can be followed by the newly released: Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1.

Notice the "#1".

There will be more. The Starter Kits are a phenom in their own right. Many folks will happily play "just the SKs" indefinitely. There is a lot of game right there.

As long as you never play ASL, you won't know what you are missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Storch
United States
Bedford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP is also working on a historical module using the SK rules centering around Market Garden ....

Can't wait for that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.