Yomi» Forums » General

Subject: Proof that Yomi is genius - even my GF likes it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is everything she hates - it's fantastical, it's a card game, it's a fighting game and as such it's 100% adversarial. But bless her she tries when I'm so hooked on a game although she was convinced she'd hate it and resisted trying it big time.

I used every trick in the book - sad face, making cups of tea, and then while we played I was the model of patience teaching the rules and I put on Depeche Mode (her fave band) in an attempt to gain favour through pleasant association.

SIX games later she wants to keep playing. She's kicked my ass five times out of six and we're having a lot of fun.

I think this perfectly demonstrates one face of the genius of this game. Not only is it beautifully designed and brilliantly balanced but also it's greatness really does seem to be able to transcend the theme and the genre and pull just about anyone in, because it's fun, it's a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a sort of similar experience. My GF is generally resistant to board gaming (she mostly does it so that we have something else in common, as something to do together that I like - since she makes me watch House and other TV shows, a past time I don't particularly enjoy).

In any case, Yomi's been that ONE game she wouldn't go near. Always "I don't feel like it" when I suggest Yomi. Well I finally got her to sit down to a game... and then she insisted on a second when I beat her, and then later after playing more said:

"Alright, it's pretty good. I'd play again." with a cheeky smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
She's kicked my ass five times out of six and we're having a lot of fun.

Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest revelation of this thread is that Candi is a dude. I figured otherwise, with the girlie avatar, kitty cat and hearts microbadges, and ... well ... the name Candi.

Granted, this is coming from a dude who has a cute kitty avatar also...
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cbs42 wrote:
My biggest revelation of this thread is that Candi is a dude. I figured otherwise, with the girlie avatar, kitty cat and hearts microbadges, and ... well ... the name Candi.

Where did Candi say that s/he was a dude?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

Hey, you know what? That's a damned good point.
I take it all back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
dysjunct wrote:

Hey, you know what? That's a damned good point.
I take it all back.

Moreover, it could be two women in a relationship. Not a completely foreign or unreasonable idea.

Without adding too much to gendering the conversaton, my partner really appreciated this game.

It's a good sign when she wakes me up at 10AM on a Saturday and asks "Hey can we play Yomi!"

Thus making herself late for work. Also another good sign.

Patience approach was key, not because of her identity but her lack of experience with fighting games. It wasn't intuitive that you'd block attacks etc.

I'd just stick with the Rock Paper Scissor understanding and give one of those items the ability to be "2" things Block/Dodge.

Also a breakdown of the cards is helpful for non-gamers.

Really glad that my purchase is being enjoyed already, and I can see this game getting to the table many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMisterMan wrote:
Words a very unnecessary... They can only do HAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRMMMM. Erm... Sorry.

Fezzik: He's really very short on *charm*.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No more rhyming, now I mean it!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovács György
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Anybody want a peanut?"

I think we've ran out of quotes, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.