Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke to a sales rep at GW USA mail order this morning, trying to find out if any of the metal supplement blisters are still available. The word is: the entire US allocation, game and supplements, is sold out. The rep is under the impression that this was a limited-time release and that we've seen all we're going to see on this side of the pond. He did say that GW UK might still have items available for order.

Perhaps time will prove this assessment incorrect. It would be disappointing if this game, which I believe offers good value for the money and a satisfyingly self-contained package both for the Tolkien enthusiast and general gamers wanting to try the tabletop experience, ceases to be available.

The infantry figures come seven in a row, in a variety of postures (slight variations for the orderly Elven spearmen, a little more animation for Elven archers, a rough-and-ready bunch of Dwarves, and the Men in-between). Eagles come as individuals on the wing, mounted three to a base in your choice of two altitudes. The Goblins are an animated bunch. The wargs, instead of being in a row, are tail-to-nose, two-deep. Ditto for the warg riders.

Units are composed of three rectangular stands each (plenty are provided for everything in the box). Each stand has two ranks of infantry or two files two-deep of wargs or warg riders. There are eight units of goblins, four of warg riders, four of wargs, two of elvish spearmen, two of elvish archers, two of dwarven heavy infantry (mostly axmen), one of human spearmen, one of human archers, and one of eagles.

In addition there are miniature Leaders that go on round bases for Bolg the Goblin King, Dain the Iron Hills dwarf, Bard the Bowman from Lake-town, and the Elven King from Mirkwood. Each of these miniatures features the Leader and two retainers with at least one standard. Also, standing tall (for a dwarf) on a rock is Thorin Oakenshield, King under the Mountain, flanked by two dwarves representing his retinue. There is also a plastic wall section representing Thorin's fortified entrance to the halls under the Lonely Mountain (with a rule for its demolition to allow Thorin & Co. to enter the battle).

There are also two Goblin captains mounted on wargs, a Goblin shaman waving a large bone and a staff, Beorn as a gigantic bear, and a readily recognizable Gandalf, with sword and staff, flanked by Bilbo (with Sting drawn) and the helpful raven from the book.

The sculpting on all the plastic miniatures is very good, with the exception of the usual compromise when shields are molded to a figure--the solid "shadow" from the shield edge to the main body of the figure. In 10mm, this is scarcely bothersome and is more than made up for by the clean molding and crisp detail of everything from Goblin ears to Dwarven beards and helmets. The Leader figure groups are tiny works of art all by themselves.

The game comes with scenery (two large, thick, hard plastic hill sections, with crisp sculpted texture detail, representing spurs of the Lonely Mountain on which the Elves, Men and Dwarves initially deploy in the Battle of Five Armies scenario. A half-dozen or so plastic ruin pieces represent Dale. Punch-out heavy cardstock river sections complete the terrain provided.

An interesting feature of the large hill sections is that they interlock on either the long sides or the short sides to make a long, flat-backed ridge or a broad hill with one flat end. Two more hill halves would make an entire large hill, but they wouldn't fit in the box because it's already so full. Set along a table edge, these hills have a variety of uses.

Completing the package is a cardstock movement/range ruler, an angle/field of fire template, a set of dice, and the usual large, glossy, hard-spine GW rulebook/painting guide/scenario book with lots of diagrams and illustrations, charts and color photos.

I'm told the system is straight out of "Warmaster," with flavor adaptations for the particular races and special characters/considerations of "The Hobbit." Several scenarios are included beyond the main "Lonely Mountain" battle. Values are included in the rule book for unit types not included in the boxed game: Mirkwood spiders, bat swarms, a giant, trolls, Dwarven archers, Elven cavalry, Bolg's elite bodyguard, and SMAUG himself. These additional units are, or were, available as separate blisters, but an enterprising player could find alternative miniatures even if GW ceases to offer these.

All in all, a very impressive package that deserves wider circulation than it seems to be getting. Grab one if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Re:Future availability and description
Barry Kendall (#474694),
I'm one of the lucky to own the box and 1 of each of every blister: Smaug, mountain giant, hill trolls, mirkwood spiders, giant bats, goblin guard, dwarf archers, elven cavalry.
There are no problems regarding availability here in the UK(GW land) and they are already releasing 2 extra blisters: one with some sprues of the Evil forces, another one with sprues of the Good forces. Though they are expensive if compared to the base set, with the hills and manual, so, once I'm done with painting, I may buy another box, or blisters with the metallic minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS UDBY
United States
SPOKANE
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in the US we suffer once again from GW-US's boneheaded distro management. My FLGS was supposed to get four copies, then two, and finally were told that none would be available for them to stock. Couple this with the quoted White Dwarf price of $50 becoming a GW Mail Order price of $80, and there's a lot of unhappy customers in the US.

Too bad, too, because I've heard good things about the minis and terrain. Hope our brothers in the UK are enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
javelin98 (#475776),
We are enjoying indeed!
Only problem being all these nasty orcses need a good paint job, not to mention the tiny dwarves. I hope they will be releasing more blisters and/or boxes, with siege rules and the possibilty of playing great battles like the Last Alliance or Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith...
But if you follow the GW forum, you'll see that that's not gonna happen in any inmediate future(if at all).soblue
I also bought War of the Ring, from Fantasy Flight, and they will be releasing an expansion later this year, with a coompanion game to re-enact some sieges. Just telling you in case you are a Tolkien/Middle-Earth fan like me. The game is great and depicts the books well, unlike Reinire Knizia's, which is far more abstract.
Hope you get your copy soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hill
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Astronomy is a hobby. Programming is a job.
badge
Jupiter imaged by me featuring the shadow of a Moon and the Great Red Spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
javelin98 (#475776),

I think $50 was probably a typo. BOTFA retails in the UK for £50, so $80 is not unreasonable.

The game looks good. I already have a sizeable Warmaster collection and the bits would fit nicely with this lot.

Unfortunately I seem to have a knack for being enthused by the game systems that GW have least support for e.g. Warhammer Quest, Man O' War, Space Hulk ...

Steve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
I ordered my copy of "Warmaster ancients" just yesterday. The guys at "Old Glory" are offering a free pack along with the rulebook. Hope to have this week, it sounds great as it has 25 armies to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmaster is still available in the US. However, you have to order it via blister packs as the "starter deals" shown on th UK site are not available.
Warmaster ancients sounds like a good deal... however I'm curious as to how they are going to reconcile the "only GW figs" in thier stores when they don't sell a line of "ancient" armies.
Regardless, I find Warmaster a nice break from the "hero"-hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.