Bill Carrigan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have really enjoyed playing 7 Wonders so far. I have played it with my gaming group, with my wife (2 player variant), and with my wife and my eight-year old daughter. My daughter also wanted to play with me in a 2 player game. This was fine, and I will always play games with my daughter even if the game isn't truly competitive between us, and I end up easing off, trying eccentric strategies, etc. However, I tried out a simple tweak of the two player variant in 7 Wonders that I think makes the game more interesting when I play my daughter. The game is played exactly as a normal two player game except that the "older" player scores for the lower of the Free City board and his own board. This simple change makes the gameplay significantly different and more complex for me while keeping the complexity level more or less the same for my daughter. With the normal rules, it is hard to imagine my losing to my daughter but it is a real contest with this variant and makes it fun for both of us. I can go "all out" and she can feel that her victories aren't tainted by my taking it easier on her. What is cool is that the "older" rule applies to her if she was to try to play with her younger sister, who at 6 is too young for the game but is eagerly looking forward to the day that she can give it a real shot. Even if this hasn't happened yet, it makes my daughter somehow feel the rule is legit and not just a handicap for me. If anyone else tries this (or has already tried it), let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Simple Variant for Playing with Less Skilled, Experience, and/or Younger Players
That sounds like a clever rule, Bill, and one that I bet a lot of other folks could use when playing with their kids. Nice to see that you and your daughter are both enjoying this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry R
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love playing 7 wonders with our kids, but as you say, we have to go easy if we don't want to put them off playing again. I've been wondering whether a handicap point system could work with this game, where weaker players have their scores topped up with the difference between their last score with the last winning score. Perhaps this could make the game more challenging and fun for everyone. Just need to figure out a good system to adjust the handicap for each subsequent game to allow for players improvement, and not make the system punish too strongly for a lucky win or reward too much for an unlucky loss. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.