Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to use 'Warfare' strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Q
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Can someone explain how to use the warfare strategy? Is it like a second action phase for that player?

The text of the card says only that the player retrieves a spent command counter from the board - yet the rules say this is so great because a person can move twice, etc. How can they move twice without a second action phase? When is this phase taken? Any details on the use of this card would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Wetaskiwin
Alberta
flag msg tools
Re:How to use \'Warfare\' strategy
weyoun (#474732),
You can take as many action phases as you can pay Command Counters for... Warfare lets you take a Command Counter back, giving you another action...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yousef master
United States
richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Re:How to use 'Warfare' strategy
weyoun (#474732),

you play multiple actions in a turn. Each action uses a command counter.

Once you play a command counter on a square, you can't play another action on that square.

However, warfare lets you get the command counter back, so you can play a second action on that square (and build there a second time, for instance, or move ships to that square a second time).

when warfare removes the first command counter on that square it means all the ships in that square become free to move because they are no longer "activated"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen G├Ątzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weyoun (#474732),

I think you missed how the action phase works. The first player does one single action (ie. activate a hex, play a strategy card, etc...), then play proceeds to the next player. Once the final player has done one action, you get to do another one. The action phase continues going in circles like this until everyone is done doing their actions.

Thus, if you activate a hex as your first action, and then, when it's time for your next action, you use the Warfare strategy, you can use your next action to again activate the same hex.

Does that make this any clearer? I recommend rereading the rules in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Re:How to use \'Warfare\' strategy
Thank you all - those were all very helpful comments.

I didn't understand how the action phase works, I thought we could only do each action once.

The rules don't explicitly say you can do each phase more than once, hence my confusion... but the game makes much more sense now

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Sarikov
Israel
Petah Tikva
Gush Daan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TiLT (#475225),
When yoe remove a command counter with "warfae" it is considered as action and the turn passes to the next player.

each strategy card is considered as action and if u use it u can't do another action.

quote waht you said:"The first player does one single action (ie. activate a hex, play a strategy card, etc...)"
:-) so you made in your example 2 action instead 1 and thats a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen G├Ątzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel (#475951),

Nope, nothing wrong with my post. I might not have been very clear, but you should read it again. I was listing examples of possible actions, not saying that you could do them all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
weyoun (#474732),

Use the warfare card to retrieve your command counter.
Next, time it is your turn to act, the units in the hex you just removed the CC from are now free to go to your next hex you place your CC in OR you can build on your spaceport etc. It allows you a FREE move since you can use more CC actions than you initially started in your Command Pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Tarpley
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mb
This is also a good choice early for races with only one carrier or few ground forces -- allows them activate a neutral system to send a carrier fleet in to colonize, use the Warfare action to take the command counter away from that system, and then activate another nearby neutral system. (Remember, you cannot move fleets from systems that have one of your command counters on them.) Thus, they can colonize two systems with one fleet and not fall too far behind other races in planet acquisition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he thought you could only do each action once.

Which is not true.

While you can't do several actions all at the same time, in a turn, you could do the same type of action several times, such as three tacticals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.