Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some brief thoughts about each alien that different players mentioned in passing as they were being played. Nothing too in depth, and all in all, a very good expansion. I think these aliens lend themselves a little more to some of the little things that CE has that are often ignored ... such as allying with the defense, being more specific about who you invite to ally, whether or not to allow someone to win an encounter in order to gain compensation, etc.

Cavalry -- This one, as you'd figure, found himself invited on a regular basis ... so we enjoyed it as it encouraged more players to be involved in the encounters and limited the 1-on-1 encounters.

Changeling -- Great for a chaotic game, not as much so when the players are taking the game more serious and/or strategic. It is also much better with more players (6-7 players) as he doesn't make his way around the table as much.

Empath -- Pretty straightforward, as his opponent, it's almost worth playing an attack every time and take the chance for a deal rather than get beat by a small attack card if you throw a negotiate, although you need to be careful about blowing a high attack card ... either way, it does affect how other players approach the encounter, so we liked it.

Filth -- Fun to play, a pain to play against ... you just hope you don't draw his color unless he has an open planet available. We did like the choices he creates by forcing allies to choose where to play their colonies, or vacating a planet when making a deal.

Glutton -- Resources are good, and he always has plenty of them. While he can't directly affect an encounter, having all of those cards makes him versatile since he probably has an assortment of encounter cards, artifacts and flares.

Graviton -- We liked this because it really forced players to make their ship count worthwhile, including those of the allies ... it didn't render cards useless, but it certainly made each encounter a bit tighter.

Industrialist -- One of our favorites, forces players to make tough decisions and we like that kind of affect on the game.

Invader -- The ability to replace your hand made this one more of a fun alien to play ... rather than just the random encounter, it gives him (and his target) something to make the encounter interesting.

Lunatic -- This alien took some time to really get used to ... although the power is simple, choosing the right time to use him became a project unto itself. Always has the ability never to lose a colony or to gain some kind of reward, when not played well he can just blow thru the ships. He likes Mobius Tubes.

Mimic -- A good alien to keep your hand if you like what you have, although I think I would have prefered it to be an optional power rather than mandatory.

Prophet -- Another power that affects the way other players approach the encounter ... we really enjoy powers like that as it does give some sense of strategy, but with the usual dose of cosmic chaos.

Relic -- This alien was interesting, and we found that it is similar to the theme running thru many of the aliens from this set, that they encourage players more to ally themselves with the defense and to strategically go for compensation. CE kind of needed that nice balance and this, again, affects how other players make choices throughout the game.

Saboteur -- His ability to move traps around is helpful, but he didn't get to use his power maybe as much as he hoped ... I wouldn't mind finding a way for him to get a few more opportunities.

Sadist -- An alt-win power, and I am lukewarm on those in general as it is, but this alien has no real way to help his own cause. I think if there were a way that he could actually kill off some of those ships he be more interesting to play.

Siren -- People were a little apprehensive to use her power for fear that they would go thru more ships than usual ... but with the second part of the instructions saying that she gains a foreign colony every time she wins as the defense, it gained momentum as players got used to using her.

The Claw -- A rules nightmare. I like the idea, in theory, but there is not really an actual defense against it since the card is hidden and it's kind of a crapshoot whether you play a copy or not. Pre-game decisions must be made about negotiate cards, whether they are allowed or not once the game has gotten under way (amongst other things ... but that is a topic for Bill to tackle, if he hasn't already).

Trickster -- This one was much fun for my kids, not really at all for the adults. We had a couple games where a win literally came down to a coin flip (the Wild Flare). I do like that the 50/50 option is there for the main player and the super is good in relation to the power, but I don't think I would like this in a more serious game ... but the kids loved it.

Visionary -- A straight forward power, it's nice to try to pull something out of someone's hand, works well with things like the Finder artifact when you can get a glimpse of other player's hands. Other than that, it kind of is what it is.

Warhawk -- The enemy of Empath, although timing rules seem to apply, we ruled that he does not negotiate regardless as that seems to be the intent of the power. We like battle-themed aliens and he is definitely that. The 3rd aspect of his power seems to be redundant but at least it clarified what happens in each encounter card scenario.

Xenophile -- He was a favorite, another alien that can affect how other players approach an encounter with you, such as not inviting allies, which gives him an advantage both on the defense, and, not losing his power, can gain a good advantage as the offense as colonies pile up in his system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We figured out that The Claw can simply never use an N as his claw. Check the preview thread for more details.

Did you guys find Industrialist to be broken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

We enjoyed him, mainly because he makes his opponent squirm ... but I'd say he's close to broken, very powerful at the least. Almost like a super Warrior that wins by winning and wins more by losing.

A possible solution would be to allow him to either switch his losing card out with one from his stack, or choose 1 from his stack to add to his total ... I don't know, that's off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

We enjoyed him, mainly because he makes his opponent squirm ... but I'd say he's close to broken, very powerful at the least. Almost like a super Warrior that wins by winning and wins more by losing.

A possible solution would be to allow him to either switch his losing card out with one from his stack, or choose 1 from his stack to add to his total ... I don't know, that's off the top of my head.

In the games I've played I've yet to see Industrialist win. He does indeed get stronger for losing, so the key is figuring out when it is OK to let him take a colony & when it isn't.

As others have observed, the aliens in this set force you to think about the game more. You have to balance knowing your Morph + Reinforcement can beat the 20 you know he is about to play against giving him that +20 for the rest of the game. Just because you *can* beat industrialist doesn't mean you should. And you never, ever ask him to be an offensive ally. If he can only get bases on his turn he will have a long row to hoe.

Most of the tricks for overcoming a combat power when you don't have one apply. He is no more overpowered than the Chosen or the Virus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like the change to Industrialist. Hopefully it will turn out to be one of those things that makes you say "holy crap that's huge!" but then turns out to be not quite as huge as it looked, in the self-balancing environment that Cosmic usually is. It does at least seem to make Warrior look weak by comparison, but I guess Warrior will always appeal to those who don't want to play a power that other players have any say in how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great great post. Thanks for taking the time to write down the reactions to the new aliens. Particularly appreciated are your thoughts on Gravitron, Relic, and Trickster. I'm a big fan of Calculator, and not a big fan of either Mirror or Obverse, particularly because Calculator really does "equalize" the challenge and makes your and your allies' ships that much more valuable. It sounds like Gravitron is more similar to Calculator than it is to what I've heard called the Stupid Math Trick powers. Cool.

On the other hand, Trickster sounds like a Stupid Trick power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickster is dumb, no question, but I have to say, it brought the most fun of any alien we played, without question. We laughed every time the power was used. Our new technique it to hold one hand very close to the opponent, and one very far away. Then begins a very familiar-sounding debate "clearly I can't choose the hand in front of me..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit, Jack, now you gave me something to actually like about that dumb power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad my friend is a master magician, and can move the token away from the hand you choose and into the other hand at will. Needless to say he wins every time he gets the Trickster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt trettin

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the card texts available for all the aliens anywhere? I've seen a few at FFG and a few more posted as pictures here. Is anyone willing to post pictures of the rest? I'd love to see what I'm getting myself into once the game ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://warp.redamedia.com/anypower.php3?origin=Ccon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.