Popular Tags: [View All]
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like put my hands on Cuba, but considering that most of the times i play 1 vs 1, I was wondering how does it work with 2. Looking through the info, it seems is not so worth but...
Is it helpful adding the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
james_bond wrote:
I'd like put my hands on Cuba, but considering that most of the times i play 1 vs 1, I was wondering how does it work with 2. Looking through the info, it seems is not so worth but...
Is it helpful adding the expansion?

No good with 2.

It's not the same but have you tried Havana- that's good with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box, I'd have to agree that Cuba isn't very good for two players. The biggest place I could see potential improvement is limiting the number of goods that could be placed on ships. This would make use of the shipping lanes a lot more tense. Without that, you're just trying to figure out the most streamlined way to produce goods. You need the tension of "when should I produce, when should I ship".

Some of the other complaints like "the game feels like it is over before it starts" are true regardless of the number of players. Easy enough to modify as well - play 3 extra rounds.

The expansion to Cuba seems to have realized that they didn't fully think out the 2 player game. One example is they limit the number of expansion roles available each round by the number of players. However, they did not go back and suggest new rules for the base set, such as limiting the number of goods that could be loaded on each ship.

So in any case, while it could be a good 2-player game, be aware you'll have to house rule the game to make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Cuba as two-player quite a bit. Admittedly, it's a different game with only two, b/c the pressure on shipping has shifted; however, it is still there. As in most two-player games, what's bad for your opponent is good for you -- you don't need to score big, just more.

-joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the 2 player game was fine. But note that we added a rule and only played with 1 and 2 VP ships, the 3rd dock should be left empty the entire time. Others have done the same thing and enjoyed it. Reversing shipping VPs in the 2 player game

Never felt the game was too short at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several plays I think the game is just fine with two players. Of course it goes without saying that it is a different game when you add each player, at least at the 3 and 4 mark, I haven't played with 5.

I find that in the 2 player game there is more opportunity to alter your strategy if something isn't panning out for you. I also found that the games are a lot closer in point totals which I find to be enjoyable, decidedly less though when I lose by one or two versus winning by the same margin. I always play with the 3rd Ship as well and I do not find the game too short at all. To be honest I am quite happy with the time, somewhere around 70-80 miuntes.

I am perplexed by how many people on BGG find this game perplexing (pun intended) I almost didn't buy it because people were going on and on about how difficult it was and I just didn't have that kind of experience with Cuba. Minus squaring away the difference between resources, products and goods I caught on fairly quick.

This in no way, shape or form is me trying to bring ego into this, I merely didn't struggle the way I read so many others did. It almost soured me on the game before I had even played. I guess its a fine line we all walk in this community of being honest about a game and providing helpful feedback and sometimes jumping on the naysayer wagon and negatively influencing others who are researching the game. This is all subjective of course and my opinion could be reversed and hold true for someone else.

I honestly enjoy this game and I will be playing it often. One of the things that I like the most is that with different player amounts the game can change quite a bit in an individuals style of play. I am also really found of the Parliament and the various functions of the Taxes, Duties, Subsidy’s and Acts. I find Cuba to be a combination of Princes of Florence meets Stone Age.

I think I will post this as its own topic to try to balance out the opinions on Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:
I am perplexed by how many people on BGG find this game perplexing (pun intended)

I guess it depends on what you mean by perplexing. I think it's easy to pick up the rules, but difficult to play this game well. I find it hard to co-ordinate every move perfectly, this building should have been built here on my mat and not there, the worker has to be there, I need to play this card at this time, get this act passed in parliament, buy that resource at the market, send this to the ship before that player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it just depends on an individuals ability for abstract thought, non linear thinking and good old fashioned "what's gonna get me the most VP"

I will admit there is a lot going on, but that is one of the big reasons of why I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here to ask the same question. I see there are some variants around so what's the verdict. Does the game work out of the box with two or are they needed? Does the expansion alleviate any of the issues people have with it at two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.