Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just downloaded and read the FAQ 1.2 and I don't understand why such brutal changes have been made to this card. As far as I can see there's now nothing 'Special' about his ability at all.

new errated version -

MAGIC BARRIER
Once per turn, whenever 1 or more Wound Markers would be placed on this card, you may spend 1 Magic Point to prevent 1 of those Wound Markers from being placed on this card.

---------------

I could understand adding just the 'Once per turn' rule or maybe even adding spend 2 magic cards to cancel 1 point. This full new change to me seems very harsh.

With the original I not only had to spend 6 magic to bring him out but if I wanted to keep him alive when getting swarmed I had to seriously think about if I wanted to spend 4 magic, which is alot in one go. This is espcially true if you looking to summon something next turn or need to get rid of a freeze or have been magic drained. I've also had a few games where he's never managed to be summoned at all, being either at the very bottom of the deck or I've been short on magic.

I think I'll stick with the wording on the original card for now as we have yet to have a problem with this card the way it was written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the Turbo Thorkur style of play with the old wording of his ability. It goes like this.

a. discard all your hand tiil you get Thorkur
b. Summon Thorkur
c. Spent all your discarder cards to heal thorkur.

Your opponent will not get magic from you since you will not have other units for him to kill.

Your Magic Drains will always succeed.

Your walls will become magic.

You will kill him in the long run unless he is playing a faction with a ranged Summoner but still you can overcome this.

Something like this anyway.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had a problem with the card, but it was the strongest special ability by a good mile, I think.

However, it never annoyed me half as much as the Orc "Fury" ability continues to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not heard of that style of playing Thorkur, just seems 'spammy' and a 'cheesy' way of playing Summoner Wars to me and not in the spirit of the game.

Yeah, the 'Fury' ability really annoys me as well. I'm considering house ruling the 'Fury' ability to 'only if you role a hit can you use the fury ability'.

The latest one that I've found annoying is the Orc 'Thwarters' ability. When they swarm champions there very difficult to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorkur gets unbelievably brutal in a four player game. Your partner can dump cards into your magic pile - instant infinite battery. The errata was the right choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what? Fury is the best thing this game has!

Anyway, the nerf was mostly focused for tournament play, so as to not degenerate it. By all means use the cards as you please, the nerf was done mostly so as to keep the game fun and avoiding have a predominant strategy. FWIW, before the change was announced i argued it was not as broken because i had success fighting against it (and people fighting against me using it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played a four player game, only ever played Summoner wars as a 2 player game, so never had that problem with Thorkur.

A simple swarm strategy is one we have found to be most effective against Thorkur, that coupled with magic drain or freeze usually means he dies quite quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eden
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the new Thorkur.

The extreme-life Thorkur was a bit too much for the theme imo, and though not always successful, the strategy became dominant.

Furthermore, you would always take 3 wounds on Thorkur, and then decide if you wanted to keep him alive by magic. Now, on his early hits, you have to decide if you want to spend magic or not - if the next attack in the same turn kills him, that magic was wasted. That is the kind of odds calculation decision that fits the game spirit perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Not heard of that style of playing Thorkur, just seems 'spammy' and a 'cheesy' way of playing Summoner Wars to me and not in the spirit of the game.

Which is precisely why it was changed.

When it worked (which was rather often), it wasn't fun and narrowed the focus of the game, and even made the rest of the cards in your deck not matter as much. Coupled with the 4 catch-ups in the GD deck and the ability to play Besiege the Walls more quickly by burning through your deck at that rate, it was a very powerful and simple strategy.

After the change, the Guild Dwarves and the new Thorkur are still good. He was just insanely good before.

Rindel wrote:
A simple swarm strategy is one we have found to be most effective against Thorkur, that coupled with magic drain or freeze usually means he dies quite quickly.

Summoning a single Defender and using T's range can prevent swarms from working. Kill commons when possible, but in general, try to annihilate their walls and champions first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the FAQ, looks like we need to order something from the publisher to get the replacement? Or is there another way? Maybe send a SASE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Based on the FAQ, looks like we need to order something from the publisher to get the replacement? Or is there another way? Maybe send a SASE?

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/product9.html

You can also order one right there (for the cost of S&H). However, you'll also get one if you make another order from PHG, which is probably the best way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkbladecb wrote:
ScottE wrote:

You can also order one right there (for the cost of S&H). However, you'll also get one if you make another order from PHG, which is probably the best way to go.

Also, you can try asking your FLGS if they'll order it for you from Plaid Hat Games, to save you postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules question: what does "once per turn" mean? Does it mean the dwarf player can play one magic to heal one wound only on his turn? Can he do it on his opponents turn? Lets say Thorkur has 0 wounds and is being attacked by orcs who have a potential to get 6 wounds. If they get 4 hits - can the dwarf player immediately pay one to heal? If the first attack gets 3 hits - can the dwarf player pay to heal 1 before the second orc attack? Can he wait to see if the Orc attack is successful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorkur got married.

Now he's just not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LSUtigers wrote:
Rules question: what does "once per turn" mean? Does it mean the dwarf player can play one magic to heal one wound only on his turn? Can he do it on his opponents turn? Lets say Thorkur has 0 wounds and is being attacked by orcs who have a potential to get 6 wounds. If they get 4 hits - can the dwarf player immediately pay one to heal? If the first attack gets 3 hits - can the dwarf player pay to heal 1 before the second orc attack? Can he wait to see if the Orc attack is successful?

As i understand it, he may only activate it once per attack phase. So if 3 attacks are focused on Thorkur, he can only use it for 1 wound dealt by one of those attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's once per turn. The PE can still get him to use up his barrier during the Event Phase.

If you hit him with your own Gror you could protect him on your own turn as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Rindel wrote:
Never played a four player game, only ever played Summoner wars as a 2 player game, so never had that problem with Thorkur.

Against old Thorkur? Freeze does... something. Magic Drain should never work, if your opponent is playing the turbo strategy. Most of the time they'll be killing their own units to be sure of that/add to Thorkur's invincibility. Swarm strategies do nothing more than any other strategy against him, since you could remove damage however you like. Your opponent shouldn't really let you swarm him either, seeing as he shouldn't be giving you enough mana to get much on the field (except Goblins of course). Even then, he only gets surrounded if your opponent lets him, since he's got a solid attack at range.

The Thorkur change was definitely warranted as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also have reduced his magic cost, by one or maybe even two, he's like half as powerful, why not make him cost less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
I would also have reduced his magic cost, by one or maybe even two, he's like half as powerful, why not make him cost less?

3/4 for 6 is still a fine stat line for a ranged unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats true...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkbladecb wrote:
ScottE wrote:

I would think they should send the card for free if you sent a SASE. Some printings of Space Alert had two incorrect cards, and simply by sending an email to Czech Games, they would send the replacement cards free (in my case, from the Czech Republic to the USA).

In the case of Summoner Wars, I have spent a total of $100 on two starter packs, two faction decks, and two premium boards. But since I bought this from my FLGS, I have to pay $4 more to get 1 replacement card? I find it hard to believe that they're charging almost half the price of an entire faction deck for one replacement card, when it's their error in the first place...

Is anyone else with me on this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have changed the cost to ship Thorkur. I will start eating the fulfillment cost, you now only pay postage. Additionally you still get the card free with any sized order from PlaidHatGames.com and any FLGS can contact me and request replacement Thorkurs and Promo cards for their store to giveaway to Summoner Wars customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wjones14 wrote:
In the case of Summoner Wars, I have spent a total of $100 on two starter packs, two faction decks, and two premium boards. But since I bought this from my FLGS, I have to pay $4 more to get 1 replacement card? I find it hard to believe that they're charging almost half the price of an entire faction deck for one replacement card, when it's their error in the first place...

No. Print the damn faq and stop whining. Most companies don't even offer replacement cards because of errata, so I think this is very generous as it stands. The sense of entitlement around here is just over the top sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
wjones14 wrote:

No. Print the damn faq and stop whining. Most companies don't even offer replacement cards because of errata, so I think this is very generous as it stands. The sense of entitlement around here is just over the top sometimes.

Wow, such a reaction! Sorry that my post bothered you so much. What a supportive community...

I'm just glad that Colby runs the business and not you. He responded to my concern in a professional manner and has decided to change his policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
screamingtruth wrote:
I have changed the cost to ship Thorkur. I will start eating the fulfillment cost, you now only pay postage. Additionally you still get the card free with any sized order from PlaidHatGames.com and any FLGS can contact me and request replacement Thorkurs and Promo cards for their store to giveaway to Summoner Wars customers.

That's awesome Colby! I think it's the right thing to do, it's great to see that you are personally involved, and I have no doubt this will only improve your reputation here. Thank you!

I disagree with the other poster who replied saying that I should just suck it up because most companies don't bother replacing missing/broken/incorrect pieces. My experience has been the exact opposite -- I already mentioned that Czech Games sent me two free replacement cards for Space Alert, across continents no less, at no charge. Matagot also sent me some free replacement parts for my copy of Cyclades which had a couple broken ships. I've also read numerous other forums here on the Geek where members have contacted different game companies successfully for free replacement parts. In fact, I don't recall ANY people saying that a manufacturer refused to replace defective game parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.