Subject: Be Frank: Ingenious or Blokus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, these two are sometimes compared. Which one should I get and in short why? Thanks for helping me out!

If Blokus, which version should I get if only one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good, abstract, easy-to-learn and play games. I like both games, but prefer Ingenious to Blokus for these reasons (these are opinions )...

(1) Ingenious scales well from 2 to 4 players; Blokus plays well with 2 or 4, but not with 3
(2) Ingenious has room for deeper tactical play
(3) Ingenious' clever scoring makes for more interesting choices; Blokus is fun to play, but we rarely "score" it as the instructions state
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My vote would be for Ingenious. I enjoy the aspect of the game where you only are as good as your weakest color so you have to plan accordingly. Rounds of Ingenious feel more varied to me than rounds of Blokus which makes me more likely to play Ingenious.

That said, I think both are fine games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
Both are good, abstract, easy-to-learn and play games. I like both games, but prefer Ingenious to Blokus for these reasons (these are opinions )...

(1) Ingenious scales well from 2 to 4 players; Blokus plays well with 2 or 4, but not with 3
(2) Ingenious has room for deeper tactical play
(3) Ingenious' clever scoring makes for more interesting choices; Blokus is fun to play, but we rarely "score" it as the instructions state

+1

If you prefer a "thinkier" game, Ingenious is the answer.

If you decide on Blokus, the trigon version scales the best (by shrinking the playing field). Regular Blokus requires doubling up on colors if you have less than 4 players (the playing field does not vary). Personally, I will not play it with less than 4.

-Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodego wrote:
My vote would be for Ingenious. I enjoy the aspect of the game where you only are as good as your weakest color so you have to plan accordingly. Rounds of Ingenious feel more varied to me than rounds of Blokus which makes me more likely to play Ingenious.

That said, I think both are fine games.

Another vote for Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say Blokus. Get "Duo" if you play with two, and the normal game should only be played with four.

I wanted to like Ingenious, but it felt too bland. I don't know how else to describe it. Sure, it seems there is potential for "deeper" play, but it just wasn't fun, and I am not the kind of guy who prefers "fun" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both Ingenious and Trigon, I would disagree with the sentiment that Ingenious is the "thinkier" game. It's got great depth, but Blokus Trigon is no slouch Blokus may be simpler (the board does give fewer options). Personally, I think you'll be happier with either; which one you'll like more depends primarily on other games/hobbies you like. If you like puzzles, you'll like the Blokus family; if you like dominoes, Ingenious adds some extra flavor to what is basically a dominoes game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, I play Ingenious a lot more, and my friends like Ingenious a lot more.

Blokus doesnt play right unless you have exactly 4, or you buy the 2-player version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always play Ingenious against bots online to get a feel for the game.

My vote would be for Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose Ingenious, but when we play Blokus, we use 2 colors apiece. It works very well, rotating each colors play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I have to say Blokus. Get "Duo" if you play with two, and the normal game should only be played with four.

The "normal" Blokus game can use a special setup for 3 or 2 players. I've never tried the 3 player version like this, but I have tried the 2 player version and it works well. This link indicates that the 2 player set up is the same as Duo. You can use the two colors not in play to mark off the area for a 2 player game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48381/grid-modificatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for Ingenious. I do like blokus with 4 as others have mentioned. However, Ingenious is a deeper game. It doesn't have to be when you're first starting out, it is still simple to learn, but as you play there is more available in the way of tactics. I have played a lot of blokus, but I only own Ingenious between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious is a much better game simply because it really "feels" like something you can wrap your head around and always play a different game. Once you know the "trick" of how to play Blokus, you get VERY bored of it fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, and can enjoy both. That having been said, I really prefer Qwirkle over either one. Ingenious is really too fiddly with the scoring - I find I really don't like Knizia's style - and with Blokus, the scoring seems , I don't know, anti-climactic I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
That having been said, I really prefer Qwirkle over either one.

A new twist to the thread!

I'm curious about this game also, havent played it. I've read bad things like it's broken if everyone knows how to play well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blokus Is a simple game with simple rules, and excellent depth. I find it scales well from 2-3... but do agree Blokus Trigon is a little better than the original. You are trying to get rid of all your pieces by filling the available negative space. It's pretty ingenious.

Ingenious is really more like Qwirkle. I used to compare Ingenious to Blokus, but they are actually quite different. In Ingenious you are actually matching symbols much like dominoes. Your score is then counted and you move a marker along one or more of your scoring tracks... trying to keep all of your scoring tracks moving as the lowest scoring track is your final score. In this way, Ingenious is really a "thinkier" version of Qwirkle.

Qwirkle is a fantastic game very similar to dominoes... using shapes rather than numbers. Like dominoes, it's easy to take out and get started... no board necessary... just blocks. It's easy to teach kids and non-gamers which makes it a great game to have in your toolbox.

I like all of these games and find them fun with different groups. If I were to only get one... it might be Qwirkle due to it's flexibility. The game "I" like to play the most is Ingenious. The reality is we play Blokus the most. Try and figure that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious by far!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
+1 to Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus is a lighter game, Ingenious more thinky. Since most BGGers tend to prefer thinky games, most of them will prefer Ingenious too (see recs above). If this also describes you, get Ingenious. If you're just looking for a light game to play with non-gamers, get Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus for sure. I enjoy both, but Blokus is more enjoyable in general. With 3 players I'd choose Ingenious.

I challenge the assertion that Ingenious is more "thinky".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Blokus for sure. I enjoy both, but Blokus is more enjoyable in general. With 3 players I'd choose Ingenious.

I challenge the assertion that Ingenious is more "thinky".

It's more thinky than Qwirkle, but not more thinky than Ingenious... really. Ingenious just has an additional layer to think about (with the scoring tracks).

BTW Thinky is a good name for a game. I call shotgun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a file in the Blokus BGG page with rules for a 3 player game. It's not perfectly symmetrical, but it works well enough and is enjoyable with 3 in my opinion.

However you can't really go wrong with either game. My recommendation is try before you buy:

http://www.blokus.fr/online-game/
-You can play live opponents here.

http://www.marquand.net/index.php?topic=ingenious
-AI opponents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to chime in that I recently bought Ingenious for the ipad for $2, and the AI is fantastic. It's nice when no one it available to play the board game with you. Also it supports 2-player on the iPad, so you dont even have to get the game out then, especially nice if you are sitting on the couch . So this might be a nice option if you have an iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Another vote for Ingenious, mostly for the reasons stated by bnordeng up there.
I think the strategy in Ingenious is more thinky because it may not be obvious at first, but Ingenious is a very mean game.

Plus I think the 4 player with teams is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.