Subject: Flytrap's Zombie Plague: 10th Anniversary Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BGG Friends and Zombie Plague fans,

I am pleased to announce that the release of Flytrap's Zombie Plague: 10th Anniversary Edition, a collection of custom pieces and rules I have created as a tribute to the original game, the many great fan-made expansions, and the original Night of the Living Dead films that inspired it all.

The purpose of this thread is to both explain what’s inside and some of the changes I made as well as to collect feedback and feature requests for future updates. I consider this package, especially the rulebook, a living document, which is why I have labeled it version 1.0. (In fact, it is actually the third version I have written, though the first one I have released publicly). If you have feedback, questions, or suggestions about my release, post them here (or PM me if that’s what you prefer), and I’ll be happy to discuss them. That said, this rulebook reflects my style and the way I play Zombie Plague, so I will only include changes that I feel make the game play better.

The set can be downloaded here:
Flytrap's Zombie Plague: 10th Anniversary Edition

After downloading, there are things you will still need to acquire (like a game board) in order to complete your set, and I have included the section "What You Will Need" in the main file to help players figure that out.

Included in the download, you will find:
1) A Flytrap’s Zombie Plague: 10th Anniversary Edition box label
2) A completely rewritten rulebook: This comprehensive rulebook reflects how I play Zombie Plague with my group. There are several adjustments which make the gamplay smoother while at the same time making it more challenging for the Human Players to win. It also explains my interpretation of vague areas. The rulebook contains rules for the base game and 12 expansions or alternate rulesets, including six new ones: 4-Door Car, Escape to the Attic, Ready! Fire! Aim!, Throwin’ Things, You’ve Got Mail, and the Zombie Plague Game Sheet.
3) New Barricade and Locked Door Standees: Includes unique barricades for every door and window on the original House map, including different images for the front and back.
4) A new, expanded version of the Cellar plus several other new or redesigned loose pieces (i.e. – the Flares and a Movable Search Square).
5) A completely new deck of 120+ cards, featuring cards from original game, other fan-made decks, and several all-new additions.
6) Usage instructions, credits, and thanks

As I mentioned, there are several changes to the rules, and, as a result, my rulebook plays a bit differently than you are probably used to. For example, I felt the Zombies were not intimidating enough. You could run through large groups of them with little threat of being zombified, so I removed the 2nd roll for infection. Now players get infected on a Zombie roll of 6. This makes the Zs much more intimidating and should move more of the focus on avoiding them if possible. If not, things probably won't go so well for Human Players. Some of the other changes I made are explained in this post:
Rule Changes
Even though they contain many changes, I feel like the rules are well-balanced. Before you judge them, play a few games with them (keep that rulebook nearby ), and then let me know if what you think. At the least, I can try to explain why I included the changes I did.

When you read through the rulebook, it may help to refer to these images to get an idea on how things look when they are set up:
Ready to Play:

In Play (Human POV):

That’s all for now. Let me know what you think or if there are any questions I can answer about the set. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Happy gaming,
James (Flytrap)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To answer a couple of posts from the old thread, I am not against adding another sheet of cards for "crazy" weapons (i.e.- the Flamethrower and the Pie) if there is interest. I, too, like playing with these very rarely just for kicks. One thing I had a hard time of was finding hi-res images of some of the more outlandish items (Molotov, for example). I wanted to be sure the images looked good scaled down and fit in with the other pictures. If I wasn't happy with the images I had for a certain item, I tabled it for a future release until I could find or take a good pic. I wanted to include the Molotov, especially since it was used in NotLD, and I actually had a bottle of cooking Sherry set aside to use for a picture, but I dropped it.

Roolz - The Super Soaker is still in there; it is called Water Gun now. Sorry about the pie. If you want to make translations, PM me and I'll get you the tools you need.

Thanks,
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Flytrap wrote:
Roolz - The Super Soaker is still in there; it is called Water Gun now. Sorry about the pie. If you want to make translations, PM me and I'll get you the tools you need.

Thanks James.
Actually I still have to finish painting the minis for ZP (among other projects), then I'll seriously consider updating my french rules & cards. I'm not sure that I'll find the courage to do it, though, but I'll let you know if it's the case.
Note : I've seen some nice silly cards in your deck, too (deer antler & skateboard, yummy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You bet. Trust me I understand the problem of "too many hobbies, not enough time." The offer remains open.

The deer antler is a nod to the many taxidermied animals inside the farmhouse in both versions of the NotLD. The skateboard falls into the category of "things you might actually have in your house that could kill Zombies," and was a result of many brainstorming sessions to come up with weapons of this type. I even asked some friends and family (the ones that would "get it") to keep an eye out around their homes for appropriate objects. I was surprised which objects did and didn't make the list after I gave it some serious (well, kinda serious) consideration.

I'm glad you enjoy them, and thank you sincerely for all of your support.

-James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much!

I love this! Now I HAVE to get it!

But my fingers still are still hurt from mounting Dungeon Plungin tiles (Bad blade, BAD blade!!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Beto! I'm glad you like it!

Sorry about your fingers. Yikes!

-James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k m
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great job but would it be possible to make the black border around the cards white so as to save ink?

Not a big deal as I can upload the files into an image editor and change them that way.

Otherwise I really appreciate the effort you've put into this. So much so that I gave you some Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
k m,

I appreciate the feedback and tip, and I am so glad you like the set!

When designing the card print template, I tried both white and black lines between the cards, and, given the overall darkness of the images, the white just showed up so much better it really made it easier to see when trying to cut them out. So, I put on a black border (really a whole page background) to allow the cutting lines to show to the edge of the page, and was satisfied with the look.

That said, I do see your point about the ink; I'll look at it again for the next update and see if I can't come up with something in-between.

Thanks,
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Beitzel
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am trying to figure out a rules discrepancy in your update rulebook. In the section for Zombie Actions it says at the end of the turn to add 1 Zombie per active player. In the chart at the end it says to add 2 zombies.

I am just trying to figure out which was intended. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wendell,

Thank you for catching that! The answer to your question is that you should add 2 new Regular Zombies per turn with two exceptions:

1) At the start of the game, place 1 Regular Zombie per turn at the opposite edge from the Survivor Pieces
2) If you are using the Cue the Extras! variant, then add 1 Z per Survivor Piece per Zombie turn.

Sorry for the confusion! What happened was that in an earlier version of the rules, I had it as 1 Z per HP, and later decided to make that a variant rule instead of a normal one. I'll add that to the list for the next revision.

Take care and happy gaming!
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see some of the "crazy" cards from the original/kwanchai release (flame thrower, etc).

Most of the time I play this with non-serious gamers and I'm playing as the Zombie Master (just to keep things organized and help everyone else feel that they are beating someone with a face). To that end, the cheaper weapons (like the flamethrower) really make things fun for any new comers to the game.

That being said, this is a fantastic re-release Flytrap. Thanks for all the hardwork. If I had time I'd make this into a fabulous artscow album...but alas, I'll just have to resort to my rotary cutter and spray gloss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, folks.

I just wanted to make a last call for feedback or suggestions regarding my Zombie Plague release. I have been waiting until I had 10 or so changes before beginning work on v1.1, which I now have. So, work will be starting on that very shortly (within 2 weeks).

If you have any questions or ideas, please post them here or drop me a message and I'll be sure to answer you and see about including it in the release. I have not heard much in the way of feedback, so most of this comes from notes I have taken during my games. To those of you that have submitted ideas and questions, thank you! That said, here is a brief list of some of the changes/updates I am looking at already.

Rulebook updates:
- New alternate rule: Zombies can OOPS! roll on direction throw, meaning no new Zs would be placed that round
- Suggestion: When guns are Out of Ammo, flip the card over (face up, title towards player) until reloaded
- Correct Zombie rules to add two per turn instead of 1 per Survivor Piece
- Clearly define which alternate rules make the game easier and which make it more difficult

Design updates:
- Label all-black pages as "Page Reverse" or similar to clarify their purpose
- Extend cut-out lines on barricades to page edge
- Swap creators' names to match original version on logos
- Examine making card page borders white to save ink when printing

Other updates:
- Create template for translating cards to other languages
- Create Artscow deck (English)
- Add a group of "crazy" cards (i.e.- flamethrower, molotov, pie, etc.)

Well, that's all I have for now. Like I said, let me know soon if you have any other suggestions, and I'll be happy to look at them.

Thanks,
James (Flytrap)

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good, I'll wait for the new revised edition and it will be my PnP project for this summer. It will be my first PnP :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a suggestion for another zombie card and/or variant... It may be a little silly, distracting, and/or complex, but I thought I'd share it anyway (since you asked). It involves a new card and an additional variant that would be added to the expansion/variant section.

It was inspired by two things:

(1) I was thinking that, when a player gets eaten by zombies and effectively leaves the game, it'd be nice if there were some variant that encouraged the zombified player to continue playing as a zed, potentially for a minor win. Maybe this is something the player would pick up as an item in the game which would allow them to embrace the plague and become a "Zombie Master" (a zombie with special bonuses).

This thought then reminded me of...

(2) Jeremiah Lee's masterful Zombie in My Pocket (which Kwanchai Moriya also did the art for). For those that don't already know, in ZiMP the hero tries to locate a"zombie totem" (found on a house/room tile called the "evil temple") which is the source of the zombie infection. If the hero locates the totem, his goal is to bury it in the backyard before midnight, thus restoring order to the land and curing the zombie plague.

Sooooo, I was thinking it would be neat to pay an homage to Mr. Lee while also solving the dead-player problem. Hence the following suggestion:

An optional card is added to the player deck (much like the Cellar expansion) called the Zombie Totem. In this variant, the Zombie Totem would perform three functions:

An incentive for finding and using the totem:
(1) Much like finding the keys to the car, if the player finds the zombie totem and has searched all of the map's search squares, the player carrying the totem can attempt to bury it in one of the below mentioned locations (costs a full turn to bury), thus ending the game. If the cellar has been revealed, the totem must be taken down to the cellar to be buried. Otherwise, place a red X on one of the following locations:
House Map - bush behind garage
Church Map - open grave plot in center of map (already has an X)
Island Map - behind the greenhouse/plant nursery
City Map - shrubs opposite dump truck

The burial locations could be anywhere, but those seemed like good choices. The downside to using the totem, though, is:

(2a) On the Zombie Player's turn, all zombies within a 6 square radius of the totem carrier gain an extra AP.
(2b) If the totem carrier is bitten by a zombie, he/she is infected on a roll of 1, 2, or 3.

And last but not least:
(3) If the totem carrier is bitten, he/she may elect to "embrace their fate" by foregoing the infection roll and voluntarily becoming a Totem Zombie. The Totem Zombie would then join the Zombie Player’s team as a regular zombie with the following benefits:
(a) The Totem Zombie has 5 AP (one less than the human players) and controls his/her own movement.angry
(b) All zombies within a 6 square radius of the Totem Zombie are controlled by the same and gain one extra AP.zombie
(c) Players bitten by the Totem Zombie are infected on a roll of 1, 2, or 3.arrrh
(c) As with the Zombie Player, the Totem Zombie wins if all other players become zombified.laugh

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, and Jeremiah Lee may not like how similar this variant is to ZiMP... whistle but these are still two totally different games, so I suspect Mr. Lee wouldn't mind the allusion.

Just a thought. Feel free to use the suggestion as is, modify it to suit your own preferences, or ignore it entirely. I mainly mention it because I'm using your cards for my game and, if I decided to play with this variant, it'd be nice to have this card match all the others.

FYI: I started a new thread for the discussion of this variant in the Variants forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6899771#6899771. One suggestion involved players needing both the shovel and the totem before the totem can be buried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sander
Sweden
flag msg tools
What a tremendous job!

I think i may have spotted a typo, though. On page 19 of the rulebook, under the optional rule "Cue the Extras" it says "increase the number /.../ from two to one".
Maybe my english is just bad, or i misunderstood something, but should it not be DECREASE the number? I was a little confused here.

Otherwise, everything looks great! I have never tried this out before, but since i love zombies of all kinds, i will try to find the time to print this out.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Justin: Very cool idea. My release is aimed mostly as a tribute to the original ZP and NotLD, so I have tried to keep the focus on that, even with regard to the expansions and weapons (old and new) I have included. But, maybe we could work on it on the side, like as a separate download? Let me know if you're interested.

Dan: Thanks for looking it over. I'm glad you like my work! It's really an awesome game if you like old-school Zombies. As for the typo, it's not really, but I can see how you would think that from the wording. It means add one Z per Survivor Piece per round (so 4-6 per round) instead of just 2 Zs per round. I'll see if I can't make that wording more clear for the next release. Thanks for the heads up, and good luck on making your copy. Hope you like it!

Thanks,
James (Flytrap)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sander
Sweden
flag msg tools
Flytrap wrote:
As for the typo, it's not really, but I can see how you would think that from the wording. It means add one Z per Survivor Piece per round (so 4-6 per round) instead of just 2 Zs per round.

After reading through the rules a few more times, I suspected it was so, but I was unsure as the rules about adding and placing new zombies (page 12) states "1 new Regular Zombie per Survivor Piece" instead of a flat number regardless of survivors. (But you said that 1 IS a typo, right?)

I am terribly sorry if I sound picky after all the great work you did, I just want to make sure I understand the rules correctly. blush

Thanks again and keep up the flesh-eating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flytrap wrote:
Justin: Very cool idea. My release is aimed mostly as a tribute to the original ZP and NotLD, so I have tried to keep the focus on that, even with regard to the expansions and weapons (old and new) I have included. But, maybe we could work on it on the side, like as a separate download? Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks, James! Yeah, I definitely see the logic in keeping the game clean and I respect that. To that end, I'd still love to see a reprise from the flamethrower.

As for your offer to do a special zombie totem card...I'd totally love to have that as a separate download. I plan on printing out any new cards you make anyway and adding them to my Master Zed box (ZP & Dead of Night), so that would be really nice to have.

Best,

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan:
Don't mind at all; I welcome the feedback! Here's the skinny: I tinkered with the # of Zs over several playthroughs. Originally, I intended to have make it 1 per Survivor Piece per round as the default, but this got a little too overwhelming too often to be fun, especially for new players, so I backed it back down to 2 per round in the vanilla game with the increased number as the Cue the Extras! option. So:

1) The default (defined on Pg. 12 under Adding New Zombies) should read "two per round," and will be corrected in 1.1. As written in the current release, they are accidentally the same as under the Cue the Extras! optional rule.

2) The optional rules under Cue The Extras! (pg. 19) are correct.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Justin:
I am already planning to add a crazy cards pack with versions of the non-NotLD-type cards from past releases, including the Flamethrower, as an optional download in my 1.1 release. As to the totem card, do you already have an image in mind, or were you thinking it would be an event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flytrap wrote:
Justin:
I am already planning to add a crazy cards pack with versions of the non-NotLD-type cards from past releases, including the Flamethrower, as an optional download in my 1.1 release. As to the totem card, do you already have an image in mind, or were you thinking it would be an event card?

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

As for pics, I don't have a particular one in mind (yours have been pretty great, as have Kwanchai's) but these two websites have some pictures/drawings that approximate what I was thinking of: http://www.haunt31.com/How_To/totem.htm, http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/86663. Really I was just thinking of a pole with some skulls and maybe some feathers or something else decorating it. You know, voodoo-ish. I trust your judgment, though. Anything that passes your standards would certainly pass mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sander
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ahhh...

Finally, it is all crystal clear to me. Now I get it! Thank you for your patience with me and for being such a polite and decent person. That's what I appreciate about communities like this, people from all around the world just being... nice to each other.

Oops, got a little carried away there. What I meant to say was... thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love your card set.zombie
In homage we came up with a few new cards that we have been trying out - thought we'd share:

PILOW CASE: Stuff it over the zombie's head to immobilise it for 2 turns - I made a small card piece to sit on my zombie counter but I'm sure an intelligent ZP can figure this out.ninja

RAKE: In homage to "Plants vs. Zombies" the player places the rake token down on a square to kill the next zombie that stands on it.gulp

DRAWING PINS: Player places the token, rolls a d6 for them to be properly placed (4,5,6), or remove (1,2,3). It then stays giving any zombie treading on it a hit. After each hit roll again to see if thy have been kicked away (again 4,5,6 to stay or 1,2,3 to go).surprise

ICE CUBES: Place token down on the floor INSIDE the house. For one turn all zombies in that room are unable to move or attack (i.e.automatic oops rolls)robot

EVENT CARD - "Dying for a ****": Dying for a ***, roll a d6 to determine which Human character looses 4AP in the next round. Since we always assign real life friends names to each of the human characters it is usually easy to fill in their weakness of choice!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, everybody.

Just checking back in to thank everyone for the feedback and to let folks know who are interested that I have resumed work on 1.1. I have had a lot of requests for card translation materials, so I am probably going to finish that up and release it separately first.

So, any final suggestions for this update, please send 'em my way. I'll check back in as each item is done. Check THIS POST for the things currently on the table for updating.

Thanks, and take care.
-James (Flytrap)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flytrap wrote:
Hey, everybody.

Just checking back in to thank everyone for the feedback and to let folks know who are interested that I have resumed work on 1.1. I have had a lot of requests for card translation materials, so I am probably going to finish that up and release it separately first.

So, any final suggestions for this update, please send 'em my way. I'll check back in as each item is done. Check THIS POST for the things currently on the table for updating.

Thanks, and take care.
-James (Flytrap)

Good to have you back, man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.