Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I want to say "aloha" to all on this board. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

Got into CW:Risk tonight and had a card interpretation question and wanted to get some opinions.

Separatist "Blockade" card. Here's the wording from the card:

"Play on a Republican army's turn, at the start of Step 5. Name a Republican planet. That army cannot move through, on or off that planet during fortification this turn. Both troop and ship fortifications are affected."

I understand what the card is saying, mechanically, however it is played during the "reinforcement" step (Step 5). Is is possible that the card's intent was to "blockade" the planet through the entire turn (including invasion and fortification)?

It seems like an odd place (Step 5) for that card to be played if the intent was limited to fortification only. If indeed the consensus is that it is limited to fortification only - does that weaken the card ?

Any thoughts on this?

Aloha - hawaiiirish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Card Interpretation
Hawaiiirish (#474803),

The card is only usful if your opponent ever has a large army behind his own lines, which is thus unable to attack and needs to be moved up during the foryification step.

As your opponent will never leave himself in such a position (unless you're in the habit of playing against chimps with Down's Syndrome) the card is worthless. Use it for the Corvette.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan (#475042),

Agreed that the card has limited uses as written. However, the gist of my question was: "WHY in step 5 ?"

If there's nothing more to that card, it seems like a very unusal place to play it. However, if the card affects reinforcement, invasions and fortifications (which would appear to be the intent given the step in which the card is played) - it would be a more robust use of the blockade card.

Let me clarify - I'm not a rules-tweaker. I like to play games as written. I have a great deal of respect for designers...

Mechanically, though, this card seems out of place to me. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Hawaiiirish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaiiirish (#475374),

I guess the simple answer is, there's no reason for the card to be how it is. It's just a poorly designed, and thus useless, card.

Why in step 5? Because somebody screwed up.

Maybe the intent was to prevent invasions and reinforcements, or maybe the intent was to play it in the reinforcements step, or maybe the designer of the card was just plain not thinking clearly. Whatever the reason, it's a failure as a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Gray
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaiiirish (#475374),
Just a guess ... but I believe the "Step 5" is an error. Step 5 is the fortification step in the standard game. It would make sense if you played the card (as indicated in the text) when a Republic player/army begins its fortification phase.

If the card is played like this, I disagree with the comments on its low value. Note that it is basically played on a planet of the active Republic player. The player cannot reinforce to or from the planet or move through that planet in a reinforcement move. In the games I've played (any Risk version), a player often moves reinforcements to defend "borders" ... especially if you have a just-conquered region. The army numbers are generally low enough in this game to make this type of move more important than in other Risk games. It can also be used here to "trap" a Republic player's ships in a vulnerable position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gametweaker (#475464),

Naturally, trapping a ship in a vulnerable position and cutting off the, ahem, supply line to the front would be very dynamic uses of this card.

I beleive that the card is a misprint in the sense that it should be played in CW:Risk Step 7 (considering that "classic Risk" fortifies in step 5).

Thank you for your insights.

Additionally, nice alias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rocha
Canada
Windsor
ontario
flag msg tools
Hawaiiirish (#474803),

I have to agree with the misprint idea. Step 5 is fortification in classic and it would make much more sense to be played on step 7 instead. That's the way I'll play it from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rocha
Canada
Windsor
ontario
flag msg tools
Rob Daviau,

If you are still lurking around this forum could you clarify this please.

Thanks,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Toll
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan (#475042),

I have to disagree that stopping fortification is as a rule useless. I admit I've never played CW Risk and there may be a dynamic that changes this, but in my experience in every version of Risk I've ever played, it's a common tactic to push a large army out past your "lines" to wipe out a few territories, and then fortify them back to a defensive position - or at least a better-supported one. A chokepoint, for example...

At least in our group, this card would be a great coup; they (reasonably enough) move an army out of position, but are suddenly unable to move it back into a defensive spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rocha
Canada
Windsor
ontario
flag msg tools
neko128 (#475752),

The usefulness of the card isn't a question in my mind. It is a useful card - I've used it to great effect (place it on one side of a hyperspace route to prevent reinforcments from coming back). The board changes too much after invading to know where it will be effective at step 5.
I think it was meant to be played on step 7 where you'll know where it can used effectively.

I do believe it's a misprint and unless Rob tells us otherwise I'll be playing that on step 7 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok after reading this post I had to chime in. You guys are making a mistake as to what "step 5" really is. Clone Wars Risk has 11 steps(detailed on the cards)In the Clone Wars Risk "step 5" is"place all of the reinforcement units(troops and ships) you gathered onto any planet(s) you control"
So that being said. After the Repulican player has placed his units the Separtist player then plays his Blockade card. Which IMO is a very usefull card to have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Gray
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bighab (#475960),
The card applies only to the fortification move ... so playing it after reinforcements are placed (but before any invasions) would make it near-worthless. Several cards seem to have errors in referencing a specific "step" and all of them make sense if you look at the classic game steps (invasions, fortification, etc.) and consider the card step to be an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nitemare74 (#475841),

I don't have a game handy but it sounds like a typo and it should be played on Step 7, not step 5. It should be played right when the person is done with invading and about to make that key fortification...

(Of course, some people may think it's useless so, by all means, build a ship or get troops.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gametweaker (#475968),
Ah I see where it says"fortification" on the card. When I played the game we assumed that you placed the Blockaded on the planet after "step 5" so that it couldn't do anything. The card either has a typo and should say "step 7"(which is how you have played it) or in the sentence of the card "or off that planet during fortification(add in and/or Invasions) which is how I have played it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bighab (#476256),

That's in the spirit of what my question originally was:
if played in Step 5 - does it include reinforcement, invasion AND fortification. To me, *WOW* that's a powerful card - you could really pinch the Republic.

That being said, I'm leaning toward the misprint. With that in mind - we played again tonight. Plopping that card down in the middle of the Republic's area proved to be a major disruption to their plans. As the card states, it blocks movement THROUGH the planet. I won't go so far as to say it was a pivotal moment in the game, but annoying nonetheless.
Troops were unable to shift away from an overloaded 'front'; the smaller troop numbers leading to more shifting requirements and really jamming things up.

Anyway, my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rocha
Canada
Windsor
ontario
flag msg tools
RobDaviau (#476062),

Thanks for your speedy reply, I kinda figured it was a typo.
It makes much more sense to play it on Step 7. Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. When's there gonna be a Epic Duels Expansion??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neko128 wrote:
rydiafan (#475042),

I have to disagree that stopping fortification is as a rule useless. I admit I've never played CW Risk and there may be a dynamic that changes this, but in my experience in every version of Risk I've ever played, it's a common tactic to push a large army out past your "lines" to wipe out a few territories, and then fortify them back to a defensive position - or at least a better-supported one. A chokepoint, for example...

At least in our group, this card would be a great coup; they (reasonably enough) move an army out of position, but are suddenly unable to move it back into a defensive spot.

Well, it's now been clarified otherwise, but as the card was written you couldn't do exactly what you claim you want to do with it.

Stopping reinforcement is awesome, but as written this card didn't do it.

Specifically: "it's a common tactic to push a large army out past your "lines" to wipe out a few territories, and then fortify them back to a defensive position - or at least a better-supported one. A chokepoint, for example..."

With the card written as it was, you had to name the "from" reinforcement point before they even began attacking. In other words, you had to publically name which point past their lines you thought they were going to stop at, before they even began their assault.

See how the card was useless as written?

Luckily, errata fixes all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geri taylor
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Heres the clarification.

I´m playin German version.
And there its mentioned to name a Republics planet
and to play in phase "7" !!!
Phase 5 is totally wrong printed.
So it makes sense for gameplay.

No prob.
rgds
Gmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bollman Bollman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
RobDaviau wrote:
nitemare74 (#475841),

I don't have a game handy but it sounds like a typo and it should be played on Step 7, not step 5. It should be played right when the person is done with invading and about to make that key fortification...

(Of course, some people may think it's useless so, by all means, build a ship or get troops.)

Dang Rob, that sucks. One, because I will never be able to convince my non-internet having friends that you (a game designer) have clarified it to agree with the german version (and all the other intnl. versions as far as I know) to be played in step 7. And two, it makes it a much more powerful card. As is printed, (before opponents invasion step) you can play it on step 5 if your opponent has a large army guarding a "doorway" that borders on you and is intending to cut deep into you and then fortify back to that position to prevent that army from being able to fortify back to that position (on) or another position on the other side of it (through) or if that army isn't used this turn it can still keep them from fortifying that large army to a more vulnerable position (off). So, I believe the card has full merit as printed and is still usefull albiet a moderatly powerful card. If it is changed to be played after an army has pulled off the "perch" (doorway) during the invade phase then, at the beggining of the reinforcment step "after" they've stopped attacking, then it's a total blind side that leaves your opponent wide open and is therefore an extremely powerful card, too powerful.
So, that brings up a question: If after the "last" attack of the reps they declare that they are going to reinforce their big army back to their doorway, so the seps play this card, then can the reps decide to continue to attack since they HAVEN'T made a reinforcement move yet or would the playing of the card itself establish that it is then step 7 and therefore no more attacks are allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, once you play the card, the player's Invasion step is over and they cannot start attacking again. But be careful that you play the card only when they are clear they are reinforcing. If its at all vague then an argument will break out and we wouldn't want gamers to argue while playing Risk would we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bollman Bollman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
RobDaviau wrote:
Technically, once you play the card, the player's Invasion step is over and they cannot start attacking again. But be careful that you play the card only when they are clear they are reinforcing. If its at all vague then an argument will break out and we wouldn't want gamers to argue while playing Risk would we?

That's pretty much what I figured.
I couldn't imagine risk without argueing. They go together like reps and seps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.